I know there are lots of tortilla soup recipes out there…but believe me..this one is (in my humble opinion)the best tasting one for the least amount of work! It is so very easy (perfect for a quick dinner) and just packed with flavor!! MMMMmmm–I just love this soup, can you tell??
FANTASTIC Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1Tb olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 lb chicken-cooked and shredded
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (opt.)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 can small white beans
- 1 can chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ lime squeezed over soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 yellow corn tortillas-sliced and baked*
- 1 large avocado
- Sour cream
*Cut tortillas into thin strips using a pizza cutter. Spray with cooking oil ( like Pam), sprinkle with kosher salt and bake in 350 oven until lightly brown and crisp.
- In a large pot, heat oil and sauté onion and chilies. Saute until tender. Add the chicken (*I have been using the frozen chicken tenders from Costco--I just put them on a plate in the microwave frozen at 50 % power for 15 minutes--they are super tender and moist and shred up beautifully!)and spices. Add tomatoes, beans and fresh cilantro. Add the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or longer to bring out flavors. Ladle into bowls & garnish.
- Add garnish of a handful of tortilla strips, avocado chunks and a dollop of sour cream to each bowl. SOOOO GOOD!!