Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles

by Erin on May 20, 2008

This is absolutely delicious. I found this recipe on Picky Palate months ago (actually, Brittany found it and made it for me when I had my baby, and since then I’ve made it many times). I love it; it’s seriously AMAZING. When it’s fresh and warm, the sauce has a tendency to pool at the bottom, so serve it in a shallow dish and scoop deep when serving. Every ingredient is important – if you don’t have fresh ginger, cilantro, roasted peanuts, or red bell pepper, I would say “Wait until you do!” :)

Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles
submitted by Erin

1 lb whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
½ Cup smooth peanut butter
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
¼ Cup soy sauce

2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 scant teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 Cup hot water
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup finely chopped white onion
½ Cup finely chopped red or orange bell pepper
2½ – 3 Cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
¼ Cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ Cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds (I just sprinkle some on top)

*I cook the chicken in the microwave at 50% power until cooked through. Set water to boil and cook noodles according to package. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce in the food processor.*
Place garlic and ginger in food processor until well chopped. Add peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Pulse until well combined and slowly add hot water. Set aside.
Place olive oil in hot skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in chicken breast, cilantro and salt. Stir until heated through.
Add sauce and chicken mixture to noodles. Toss to coat and garnish with peanuts and sesame seeds if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

1 Brittany May 20, 2008 at 9:36 am

I love this recipe! Do you have a prob with it getting cold by the time you serve though?? I saute the veggies/chicken and make the sauce while the pasta is cooking so I can throw it all together while its hot. I also don’t rinse with cold water…otherwise mine gets ice cold by the time we eat! You must be faster! :)

2 Erin May 20, 2008 at 11:14 am

Hmmmm, maybe I should change the directions to reflect how I actually prepare this. I’m like you, Britt – I prepare the sauce while the chicken is cooking and the noodles are boiling. I usually time it so that everything is done at about the same time.

3 valerie May 21, 2008 at 7:40 am

Erin, I love this recipe!!! It is sooo yummy!!

4 Jenny May 21, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Hi Ladies,
So glad you enjoy this recipe. My sister and I go nuts for this and I go in spurts when I’ll make it for weeks. Thanks for sharing it here too! Have a great weekend!

5 Mindy June 1, 2008 at 8:42 pm

This looks so good, sis… do you think I am capable of it?

6 Melissa and Dave June 17, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Hi my name is Melissa and I love to cook! I love love love your blog ladies! I made this and I sauted the veggies, then threw in some left over rotisserie chicken to get warm. Then I added the sauce but I left out some of the hot water for the sauce so that I could just put the noodles in while they are still dripping. I add the cilantro and the nuts as garnish. (I have used chuky peanut butter and no nuts before)
I don’t think the recipie says what to do with the sesame oil… I just add it to the veggies. Thanks again for all the fab recipies.

7 Kristin August 18, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I love that I can make this recipe all while the pasta is cooking. Nothing is better than tasty + fast.

8 Melanie Anne November 11, 2009 at 6:49 am

Hi Erin and Britt–I made this last night and it was really great! We loved it! I have one question though–the direction say sesame oil but it is not listed as an ingredient. Will you check your recipe and see if it is suppossed to be there. I did not use it and it was still really good, but I am curious if it would even be better with it!

9 Erin November 11, 2009 at 7:02 am

Hey Mel, I'm so glad you liked it. It's one of my top favorites. It calls for 2 Tb sesame oil, listed as the second ingredient. I know why it threw you off – because it's not listed with the sauce ingredients. Originally, the recipe said to toss the noodles in sesame oil, but I like it better added to the sauce. Since I wrote it the way I prefer it in the directions, I will move the sesame oil next to the sauce ingredients!

10 Just and Kel August 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Hi. I have made this dinner, and loved it. Is it ok to prepare it in the morning for a friend, and then have them heat it up that evening? Do you think it'd still be good?

11 Erin August 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hi Just & Kel, I think it has the best texture and flavor when it's fresh, but under extenuating circumstances (like bringing a friend dinner…) I think it will still be good heated up. The leftovers tend to be drier (the noodles must soak up some liquid when they sit), so I might add a little bit of water before heating it up to give it a smooth saucy texture. :) I'm sure your friend will think it's great!

12 Meredith Renuart November 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Love this recipe! Does it work to make extra sauce and freeze it?

13 Erin November 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Meredith, I’ve never tried to freeze the peanut sauce, but I think it is a fabulous idea. It seems to me that anything prepared in advance is never quite as delicious, but when weighed with the convenience, I think it is a great idea. I’m going to try it next time. I have frozen the peanut sauce for this delicious recipe
and it worked fine. Let me know if you try it!