These rolls really are amazing! They are soft, smooth, puffy and if you spread one with butter it will just melt in your mouth ! The best part about the recipe is that the dough will keep in your fridge for about 7 days. So, you can easily have warm homemade rolls anytime your heart desires! This recipe makes the best rolls! ENJOY…ps I have also been known to use this dough for breadsticks and cinnamon rolls…but it is best for rolls!
Amazing Buttermilk Rolls
- 3 cups Buttermilk (room temperature)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 T. yeast dissolved in ¼ cup warm water (first let rise a few minutes)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour (sometimes you need a cup more--it should not be too sticky)
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ c. warm water and let proof a few minutes.
- Mix the buttermilk, flour and yeast together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover and let this stand at room temperature until double in size, about 2 hours.
- Add sugar, eggs, salt, flour, oil, and baking soda.
- Mix well and knead for 7-10 minutes.
- Roll out what you want and place the rest in the refrigerator, lightly covered so air can still circulate. The next time you want some fresh baked rolls, take from the bowl what you want and again put the rest back in the refrigerator. It will keep for 7 days. (This is perfect for Sunday meals because you don’t have a lot of mess to clean up and it’s quick.)
- Let rolls rise on baking sheets until double in size. Time depends on the room temperature, usually 1½ - 2 hours. Dough from the refrigerator will take longer because the dough is cold.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Brush with melted butter if you like.