Amazing Buttermilk Rolls

by Melanie on September 8, 2008

These rolls really are amazing! They are soft, smooth, puffy and if you spread one with butter it will just melt in your mouth ! The best part about the recipe is that the dough will keep in your fridge for about 7 days. So, you can easily have warm homemade rolls anytime your heart desires! This recipe makes the best rolls! ENJOY…ps I have also been known to use this dough for breadsticks and cinnamon rolls…but it is best for rolls!

Buttermilk Refigerator Rolls
Submitted by Melanie
3 cups Buttermilk (room temperature)
3 cups flour
1 T. yeast dissolved in ¼ cup warm water (first let rise a few minutes)
½ cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten with a fork
2 tsp salt
5 cups flour (sometimes you need a cup more–it should not be too sticky)
½ cup oil
1 tsp baking soda

Dissolve yeast in ¼ c. warm water and let proof a few minutes. Mix the buttermilk, flour and yeast together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let this stand at room temperature until double in size, about 2 hours.
Add sugar, eggs, salt, flour, oil, and baking soda. Mix well and knead for 7-10 minutes. Roll out what you want and place the rest in the refrigerator, lightly covered so air can still circulate. The next time you want some fresh baked rolls, take from the bowl what you want and again put the rest back in the refrigerator. It will keep for 7 days. (This is perfect for Sunday meals because you don’t have a lot of mess to clean up and it’s quick.)
Let rolls rise on baking sheets until double in size. Time depends on the room temperature, usually 1½ – 2 hours. Dough from the refrigerator will take longer because the dough is cold.
Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Brush with melted butter if you like.

1 Rachelle September 8, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Yay, I was waiting for this recipe! I wll be trying these soon! I wonder, could you make the rolls up ahead of time, freeze them raw then bake off when needed?

2 Mindy September 9, 2008 at 12:14 am

Love this recipe!

3 Brittany September 9, 2008 at 3:00 am

These rolls are absolutely the best I’ve tried! Thanks Mel!!

4 MyCozyCreations September 10, 2008 at 8:44 pm

These sound so yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

Come on over to my blog for a giveaway!

5 Brittany November 3, 2008 at 7:36 am

These really are the best rolls I have ever tried (making and eating)! Much easier than I thought it would be and I am a beginner in the kitchen. Thanks!

6 Rachelle November 25, 2008 at 6:14 am

Ok, I made these today (to keep the dough in the fridge for Tday)… and the buggers kept rising out of the bowl and all over the place in the fridge! I keep punching it down and wrapped the bowl in a bag as well. I did bake off some to test them, and they are pretty good.
I was wondering how you make them into cresents?
I may just roll them into balls and put them in a 9×13 and bake off.

7 Melanie Anne November 25, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Rachelle,
I am sorry you had toruble with the rolls–and that yours were only pretty good when you did bake them! They are usually wonderul–and everyone thinks I picked them up at a professional bakery–so I am not sure what went wrong for you! I am sorry. The dough does ooze over the top of my bowl sometimes (espcially, if I put all of it the fridge and not bake some first), a little–and I just leave it and it gets dry and stops there. Then I just peel off the dry part and roll the rest out. My sister Erin says that she puts the dough in a cake keeper and it never escapes! To make the crescent shape…I divide the dough into 3 balls (you could do it in 4 for smaller rolls), then I roll each ball into a circle and cut it with my pizza cutter into 12 triangles. Then take each triangle and roll it from the wide side to the tip. Put on a sheet for rising. I hope this helps!! Let me know! Happy Thanksgiving!

8 Rachelle November 26, 2008 at 2:32 am

Thanks Melanie for the tips! My dough has settled down today. Do you roll out each ball so you can cut them into triangles? Do you use an egg or milk wash for the tops? Yours are so pretty. I will let you know hot they turn out. :) Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!

9 Melanie Anne November 26, 2008 at 2:40 am

Rachelle, Yes–you roll out as many of the balls as you want to make (each 1/3 or 1/4 of the total dough) So the whole recipe makes between 36-48 rolls depending how you divide the dough. So when you roll out the ball, you roll it out into a circle and cut it like a pizza –I cut it in half, then half again. So now you have the circle cut into 4 sections. Each of those sections I cut into 3. I hope this makes sense!! Good luck!!

10 Melanie Anne November 26, 2008 at 2:41 am

And I forgot to say I do not do an egg wash–but sometimes (not always) I brush melted butter on them hot out og the oven.

11 Rachelle November 26, 2008 at 4:02 am

Thank you, thank you! I did realize that I had recently made rugelach cutting it the same way, lol. duh.

12 Becky November 27, 2008 at 6:11 pm

These are fantastic! I made them for my mother-in-law’s birthday dinner, and she raved about them. Multiple times. I’m making them again today for Thanksgiving. Yum!

13 Rachelle November 28, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Guess what! These are THE BEST!! I don’t know what I did to that first batch I baked off, but these turned out so fluffy “like clouds” as my Niece says. Everyone at Thanksgiving kept raving about them. I made them into cresents also, super easy. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks again for your help! I’ll be blogging them soon.

14 Anonymous December 7, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I’d like to try this rolls recipe but I’m quite confused with the instructions especially the first part when you said to mix the sugar, eggs, salt, flour, oil and baking soda. Didn’t you mix the flour already with the buttermilk and yeast? Please clarify what you mean, thank you.

15 CaliG December 9, 2008 at 6:11 am

Anonymous,

If you look closely at the recipe, you will see that there are two addition of flour: you would first mix the buttermilk, 3 CUPS OF FLOUR, and the yeast. The remaining 5+ CUPS OF FLOUR will get mixed with the rest of the ingredients.

I will be trying out this recipe later this week!

16 Rachelle December 24, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Here we go again for Christmas! Mmmm, to go with Prime Rib my Brother in Law will be cooking for us!

17 Anonymous January 20, 2009 at 4:08 am

Hi – I’m not even sure how I found your blog, but I tried these rolls tonight and they are delicious! Light and fluffy and full of flavor – the best homemade rolls I’ve ever made. Thanks so much! I look forward to trying more recipes. Meghan, San Antonio TX

18 So Many Ideas, So Little Time February 22, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I mixed everything together and now waiting to see how they will turn out. I couldn’t imagine having two separate additions of flower, I guess I was wrong. Time will tell how these will be. They looked good, how anyone else done this? Thanks Barbara

19 Sommerfeldt Summary May 1, 2009 at 4:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if you can you use fast rise yeast?

20 Lizzy September 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I just made this dough yesterday for a birthday dinner I'm throwing on Saturday. I love that you can prepare it so far in advance! I did have quite some trouble executing the recipe. It made way too much dough for my regular Kitchen Aid mixer. It was everywhere and caused a huge mess! It was also very sticky, even after I added the extra cup of flour. I don't think I did anything wrong in the recipe, but maybe it was because it's very humid where I live? What I eventually had to do was split the dough in half and kneed each of them separately while adding more flour until the dough became smooth and elastic (no longer sticky). Then I re-kneeded the two halves back together so everything was evenly distributed. I was worried all the drama and possible over-kneeding would turn out tough rolls, but I baked a few as testers and they were absolutely FABULOUS! I bet they'll be even better by the time Saturday "rolls" around! Any tips on what may have caused all of my dough drama?

21 Erin September 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Hey Lizzy, this dough is always quite sticky for me too, when I follow the recipe. I always have to add more flour than it calls for. I have a bosch, so it handls the amount of dough just fine. But I do just the same as you did – add more flour until the dough isn't so sticky anymore and it's nice and elastic. You did it just perfectly.
As a side note, I think all dough can be fickle like that. Sometimes the amount of flour in the recipe can be too much to too little. Perhaps because of where you live, the mixer you are using, or whatever. Either way, you just add a little more flour until the dough isn't so sticky and can be handled. That's my method. :)

22 Lizzy September 20, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Oh no! Something went completely wrong with my dough. I tested a few on Wednesday when I made it and they came out perfectly, but by Friday night when I baked another batch they were nothing like what I had tasted only 2 days earlier. I kept the dough in an airtight container in the fridge and the yeast apparently went crazy. They tasted like strong beer and the texture was not the perfect airy deliciousness it was before! What in the world did I do wrong this time?

23 Melanie Anne September 21, 2009 at 1:33 am

Lizzy,
I am not sure what went wrong! I have never had that problem. In fact just this week I used the dough when it was exactly a week old–we made cinnamon rolls with it and it was great! The only thing I can think of is that maybe your yeast is not fresh?? Or maybe it is the air tight container. I never do that. I just put the dough in a plastic container–and it pops when the dough oozes out (about an inch) then it dries out and hardens and stops the dough from escaping more. When I am ready to bake more rolls, I just peel of the dry part and throw it away–and then roll out the rest. Maybe when the dough is trapped it ferments. I wish I new more about food science–I am sure Alton Brown would know!! Good luck–hope this helps!

24 Brooke and Mike November 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

Thank you so much for the recipe. I just found your blog and have been loving all the excellent recipes. I can't wait to try them all. I made this recipe for a baby blessing luncheon. I rolled out all the dough and there was only 1 roll left over at the end of it. It was a HUGE hit! My sister crowned me the official roll maker for Thanksgiving.

25 Anonymous November 17, 2009 at 4:32 am

hi to every one thank u for your amazing recipe i have tried them they are excellent and i filled some of them with chese and zatar

26 IeshaGunn December 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I've tried the recipe and I definitely love it. Will make the rolls again and again and again. :D

Thank you for the recipe. :)

27 Anonymous January 4, 2010 at 7:12 am

Lizzy,

The assumption about the air tight lid being the problem is correct….anytime I have made refrigerated dough's and put it airtight the yeast goes nuts. It is releasing carbon dioxide (or monoxide I always mix them up) and some of it has to escape or it causes issues.

I like to loosley pat down syran wrap over the top of it to let it expand and release the gases or use a lid that has a small hole in it.

Cheers

28 Melissa in CA February 25, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Hello Sisters!
I have a question about baking with buttermilk (for this recipe & all others). Will Reduced Fat buttermilk work? My husband went to the store last night to pick up some buttermilk for me (so I can make these – yum yum!). I told him to buy full fat but he came home with reduced fat – 2%. Should I use it or go back to the store???

Also, I wanted to make these this morning, but have them hot out of the oven for dinner tonight. Should I refrigerate the dough during the day today & then bake OR bake them early & then reheat them this evening? Sorry! I'm such an amateur bread maker!

One last thing… do you cover them in the fridge? Saran wrap or a lid? Or what???

Thanks for your help! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! You girls are all so cute! :)
Melissa

29 Melanie Anne February 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Melissa in Ca,
No you don't need to back to the store!:) I have always used the reduced fat buttermilk. I never buy the fat free though. I think 2% will be great! I think that making them a few hours early would be fine. They will still be fresh–you could barely undercook them–then this evening before dinner you could pop the pan back into a hot oven for a few minutes to brown and warm. Also–I do cover them with saran wrap. Hope this helps!!

30 Erin February 25, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hello Melissa!
First of all, I always always use reduced fat 2% cultured buttermilk. I never use the full fat one.
For your rolls today, it's hard to say…. I usually go by feel. This dough doesn't have a lot of yeast in it, so I think it would be safe to let them rise a bit longer. Maybe wait 3 or so hours for the buttermilk, flour, yeast mixture. And then let the rolls raise for 3 or so hours instead of just two. Since it's winter time, you will probably be fine to just extend the rising time since there isn't as much risk of them getting too yeasty or puffy in the heat (and bc it has less yeast in it than other doughs, like I mentioned). I would go this route because rolls are ALWAYS best fresh and warm out of the oven. (But you could also refrigerate the dough for an hour or so in the afternoon if you felt it was necessary to keep it from raising too much.)
Your last question is an important one – Do NOT seal the container in the fridge with a lid! It will go awful and yeasty. Just lightly cover the bowl of dough with seran wrap so there is still air flow. Don't even seal the edges with the seran wrap, let it be open a little. That is very important.
Hope it works out for you!
~ Erin

31 Erin February 25, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Oh, Melanie, you already answered Melissa! We must have answered at the exact same time. :)
Well, Melissa, you got plenty of answer for your question! :) Hope they turn out delicious!

32 Anonymous April 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

First time that I have ever made bread rolls and they were perfect- 1st batch eaten straight from the oven. Thank you for a great recipe will be making them for years to come.

33 Ashlee May 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Have you ever tried using milk and vinegar in place of the buttermilk? You know, 1 tbsp of vinegar per cup of milk? I just don't want to have to buy buttermilk special for this recipe. Thanks.

34 Melanie Anne May 11, 2010 at 1:28 am

Ashlee
Honestly–I have never used milk and vinegar in this recipe and I would not suggest it. The texture of milk and buttermilk is very different and I would think it would effect the dough. I really think that this recipe is worth buying buttermilk for! You could use the rest of it for some waffles or cowboy cake (both recipes on this website) These rolls are GREAT!! Good luck and let me know how they turn out either way!

35 Jenny November 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Melanie, my mother-in-law makes these rolls all the time and I LOVE THEM! Just wondering if you think freezing some of them raw and baking them later would work? Thanks!

jmojmo24 [at] gmail [dot] com

36 Nashelle November 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Used for the first time at our Thanksgiving dinner the other day…a-mazing! Thanks so much!

37 Kathi July 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

Has anyone ever tried powdered buttermilk? I keep it in the fridge and you mix it with water to get however much buttermilk you need.

38 Lala August 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’d like to try this bread and I only have instant yeast, will it work? What should I do on the first part of the instructions. One more thing, didn’t you use a stand mixer for mixing this? Thanks!

39 Kim August 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for the recipe. My husband said just as you did. These rolls are amazing!

I used powdered buttermilk mixed with water and they turned out perfectly.

40 Adrienne Yancey January 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Loved these thanks! I’m so glad I had buttermilk in my fridge. Planning my next turkey sandwich in my head as I type.

41 JP January 18, 2012 at 11:32 am

So I made the dough up last night and its sitting in the fridge. I haven’t baked any of it yet because I realized I forgot to add the baking soda! My question is: Will these be OK to bake as is, without the baking soda? Or can I still knead in the baking soda at this point and bake the rolls?

42 Susan Gail January 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Melanie –
These Buttermilk Rolls are delicious! When the ankle heals I will have to make some for Ken.
Blessings!
Gail

43 Angela April 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

We enjoyed these for the Easter weekend and were impressed with the ease in preparing them. I can’t wait to use some of the dough for cinnamon rolls.

44 Allie November 1, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hey there! This recipe looks so delish! I love to cook and bake, but anything to do with making bread/rolls scares me! It would be awesome if you took more step by step pictures ( I’m visual!) especially with forming them! Thank you!

45 lizz November 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I don’t have a Kitchen Aide or anything other than a hand mixer . . . does that make this impossible for me to make?

46 Helen November 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

47 Helen November 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Made these today for a family get together – HUGE HIT! Turned out wonderful, fluffy, and light.

To Lizz: I don’t have a kitchen aide or anything like that either. I just hand kneaded it for about 10 min, actually I used a wooden spoon and just kept jabbing and scraping and moving it around in the bowl for about 10 min.
Will be making these again. BTW, all my sisters asked me where I got the recipe and I referred them to your website and told them that everything I’ve tried on this site has been fantastic!

48 n82 December 24, 2012 at 5:38 am

Would this recipe work well in a Bosch or would you nned to double the dough?

49 n82 December 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

I made these yesterday for xmas dinner for the 1st time…
They turned out AMAZING.
I am excited to try to make more with the leftover dough that is in the fridge tonight!

50 Denise February 23, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Thank you so much, Sisters Cafe! I made these rolls the other day and love that the dough can stay in the fridge for up to a week! We had fresh baked rolls several times this week because of this wonderful recipe! Pure Genius, thanks for sharing!

51 Ellen March 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Do you use all purpose flour or bread flour in this recipe?

Thanks!

52 Jennifer May 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

This roll sounds absolutely delicious!
Just wondering:
If doing this recipe in a stand mixer, how does one tell when the dough has enough flour? I know they say it should be smooth and elastic and should pull away from the sides, but last time a made rolls in a stand mixer, mine never did pull away from the sides even after I kneaded for quite a while.
Any suggestions? I’m not exactly sure what I did wrong?
Thanks!

53 Kim October 29, 2013 at 3:59 am

Hi ladies,
Thanks for this recipe, I look forward to making it for my daughter as an easy lunch option! She has a soy intolerance and a lot of bread here in Australia has soy in it. I just had one question… when it says T or Tablespoon how many mls is that? I know in some countries its 15mls (equal to 3 teaspoons) and here in Australia 1 Tablespoon is equal to four teaspoons. Thanks in advance for your help :)

54 Janine February 3, 2014 at 7:31 am

Made these yesterday because I was looking for a roll I could make and let rise in the fridge while we are at church for 3 hours. It worked very well, although I did need to add an additional cup of flour on top of the additional you suggested to make the dough manageable. It was a hit with everyone! I formed my rolls and covered with plastic wrap sprayed with Pam and they were in the fridge for 4 hrs. I could have left them twice as long and they would have been fine. It’s a great option for those who want fresh homemade rolls but don’t have the time to put them together in the evening. I let them sit on the counter for 40 min. before baking and I did need to bake for 16-18 minutes, but that may have been because they were still cold from the fridge.