Fruit Soup

This is wonderful as a side dish for a brunch or luncheon. It is terrific for a baby or bridal shower too. It is so yummy! Melanie shared this recipe with me years ago and I have made it many times since then. It is the epitome of chick food, and all girls love it!

Fruit Soup
submitted by Erin ~ Melanie’s recipe

¾ c. sugar
1 c. water
1 c. peach juice (or another cup of water, which is what I always do instead)
3 Tb tapioca (be sure to use the “minute brand” quick cooking tapioca!)

6 oz orange juice concentrate
1 ½ c. water

2 cans mandarin oranges (with or without juice)
1 quart sliced peaches (with juice) – (or you can substitute 1 large can of peach slices, but do NOT add the heavy syrup – last time I used Lite peaches that had been bottled with pear juice and water, a much better option. Still, I opted to drain most of it out since the soup is sweet enough.)
2 c. fresh strawberries, sliced, just before serving
2 bananas, just before serving (not pictured – I added them just before serving)
1 bag frozen raspberries, thawed (or an equivalent amount of fresh) or other berry mix (raspberries give the juice a red tint, without raspberries it is an orange color)

Bring sugar, water, peach juice and tapioca to a boil. Continue boiling on medium high for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Some tapioca will be clear and other granules will have a white center. Take off heat. Let sit for 30 minutes. (This is when the tapioca will become more clear.)
Add 6 oz orange juice concentrate and 1 ½ c. water. Chill overnight.

Add mandarin oranges and peaches. Just before serving add strawberries, bananas, and raspberries.

Comments

1. Marisa says

That sounds so good! it’s a combo of all my favorite fruits. I’m always looking for a different side dish. So thanks for sharing!

2. Mindy says

Oh, I haven’t had fruit soup forever! That sounds so good… maybe I’ll make it this weekend when Griff gets home.

3. Susanne says

This looks fabulous. However, I was wondering if you have ever used apples and/or grapes? I am not really a raspberry fan. Thanks for the recipe. Can’t wait to make this.

4. Erin says

I serve it in small bowls, usually. Whatever is handy, really. A few times I’ve used those disposable wide short cups, the kind that are made of clear hard plastic. They are the perfect size.

5. Jan Sterzer says

The thing I love best about this recipe is that depending on what fruit is in season (or on sale at the market), it turns out a little different. I love serving this at bridal shower brunches with sweet rolls. IT IS WONDERFUL!

6. Anonymous says

Hey, I love this stuff. On our Mexican cruise I discovered this @ our sit-down meals as an apitizer! Erin, you live too far away. . . so, Melanie, will you make me a “pot” full?!!! Dad

Hey ladies! I made this recipe a long time ago and everyone LOVED it. I can’t remember how many servings it made though. Can you remind me:)?

• Erin says

Hi Natalie, it’s hard to say how many it would serve… I usually make it for parties, in which case there are other treats and appetizers to choose from. I would only make one recipe of it if you are serving it for a party of 15 or less and will be serving lots of other treats as well. If it is going to be a main course for a luncheon, possibly with rolls or salad or something served with it, then maybe a group of 8? That’s my guess! Honestly, it is SO good that it will get eaten up very fast regardless of the number of people. If you want people to get to have seconds, then you might want to make more. Let me know how it goes for you!