Whole Wheat Pancakes

by Erin on February 27, 2009

These are so yummy! I got the recipe from a Martha Stewart magazine a long time ago. They are healthy and delicious; the PERFECT go-to recipe when it comes to basic whole wheat pancakes. Delish!

Whole Wheat Pancakes
submitted by Erin

1 ¼ c. whole wheat flour
¼ c. wheat germ
2 T. sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 ½ c. low-fat buttermilk
¼ c. vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. (Wheat germ is good for you, but if you don’t have any on-hand or ran out of it, use more wheat flour in its place.) Whisk in buttermilk, oil and eggs. Let stand 10 minutes (if batter thickens, stir in 1 T. water). Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Spoon in 1 T. batter for each pancake (I use a little more than that). Cook until bubbles appear. Flip, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Keep warm in a 200° oven while you cook remaining batter. Serve with my favorite coconut syrup, of course! :)

1 Netts Nook February 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

I just love your blog I am here all of the time I just left you an award on my blog come and get it.

2 Melanie Anne February 27, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Mmm these sound good erin. I always use the blender whole wheat pancakes–but I will give these a try! My boys love a pancake breakfast!!

Oh–and thank you so much Miss Netts Nook!! That is very sweet of you!

3 Mindy February 27, 2009 at 4:34 pm

These look so good. I feel like I haven’t been the healthiest cook lately, so maybe I assuage my feelings of guilt by making these delicious looking pancakes. :)

4 Bunny February 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Your pancakes look so good, I on the other hand can’t make nice looking pancakes…I am pancake impaired for some reason! LOL

5 nikki March 11, 2009 at 8:54 am

These were delicious, thank you! My kids always want pancakes and I’m glad I found a whole wheat recipe that is light and fluffy. I didn’t have wheat germ but I did put in flax seed instead, my kids gobbled them up without syrup!

6 OsageBluffquilter April 7, 2009 at 10:58 am

I made whole wheat pancakes the other day, but first I toasted Missouri Grown walnuts on the griddle. I then mixed them in the batter and made pancakes. So good!