Every New Years Day our mom always makes a big delicious Ham Dinner. Mmmm, mmmm! The staples of the dinner are always the same – Ham, Au Gratin Potatoes, and Rolls – with other side dishes as well. A Ham just isn’t the same without a nice helping of warm Au Gratin Potatoes next to it and oven fresh rolls with butter and honey!
I still remember calling Mom a few months after getting married to get a recipe for Au Gratin Potatoes from her. And I’ve enjoyed it ever since! Thanks, Mom! Love you! :)
Au Gratin Potatoes
- 6 large potatoes (more if using medium)
- 1 ½ c. medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ¼ c. melted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ c. finely chopped onions
- Boil potatoes in skins until barely tender (they will be barely soft but firm when you stab them with a fork). Cool and grate. Mix in cheddar cheese. Mix sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, salt and onions and add to the cheese and potato mixture. Put into a 9x13 baking dish. (Optional: top with 2 c. cornflakes mixed with 3 Tb melted butter. - I've never done this.) Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes until well heated. Serves 12. Total time: 1 ½ hours.