Fettuccini Alfredo was always one of my very favorite dishes growing up. I can remember eating so much my stomach hurt on many more occasions than I’d like to admit:) Then I learned how many calories were in it! No wonder my stomach was hurting so bad. I still love alfredo sauce but with this recipe I can enjoy a long time favorite with slightly less guilt! Below is the extremely easy original recipe as well as the few substitutes I now make to it. I really like the parmesan cheese in it. And did I mention how easy it is?? I doubled the recipe here and added shredded chicken this time but think I would have preferred chunks of chicken. This would also be a very yummy dipping sauce for breadsticks!
- ½ c. butter (I use Smart Balance light)
- ½ c. heavy cream (I use evaporated milk)
- ¾ c. Parmesan cheese
- ½ t. salt (I don't think it needs this but you might)
- Dash of pepper
- Heat butter and evaporated milk on low heat in a sauce pan until butter is melted.
- Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Continue stirring until thickened.
- Serve over 8 oz fettuccini or another of your favorite noodles.