Can you tell that I am getting excited about Valentines Day? I love this holiday. On Friday schools in Chattanooga Tennessee sent the children home at 11am because there was a threat of snow! People take even a little snow as seriously dangerous around here. (I do realize that it is because snow is so unusual that the city does not have snow removal equipment.) Coming from Utah where blizzards stop no one and definitely don’t warrant any days off school, my boys are a little puzzled that school has now been cancelled 3 times for very little snow. Including today, due to “freezing conditions”, even though there is very little snow in our yard and none on the roads! It must be treacherous somewhere in our school district. Maybe Signal Mountain?? Of course my boys are very excited and starting to really like this new place! On our ‘little holiday’ Friday we decided to make homemade oreos and watch an old movie I got at the library (Indian in the Cupboard–have you seen it? It is pretty cute!) I had been working on a little Valentines project and had hearts laying around so I tossed a few in the picture:) If you are looking for a fun Valentines project, I am posting a few at melandboys.blogspot.com this week. In the meantime kick off this Valentines month with Homemade Oreos! Your family and friends will LOVE you:)
And now what should I do with the boys all day today??
Author: Melanie ~ www.thesisterscafe.com
- 1 package devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ - cup oil
Cream Cheese Filling Recipe:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 block of cream cheese (8 oz)
- 3-4 cups - powdered sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- 1 - tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Add oil and eggs to cake mix and blend together. Roll dough into balls (a little larger than a quarter). Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet (until warm). Remove cookies from sheet and place on cooling rack.To assemble the cookies, add about a tablespoon of filling into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie similar in size on top of the filling. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Cream Cheese Filling:
- Cream butter and add cream cheese and mix well. Add powdered sugar slowly until you reach your desired consistency.