Baguette

I found this fabulous recipe on Frosted Bake Shop. It is soooo yummy and soooo easy! I couldn’t believe that it only needed to rise 30 minutes and bake for 15. A perfect recipe when you feel like warm homemade bread but didn’t have the foresight to plan hours ahead of time. My husband informed me that this was the best bread I have ever made… pretty dramatic statement from a guy that comments on just about everything with a bland “it’s good”. :) But he is right about it being exceptional – it has a soft and chewy texture with a salty taste to it that is delicious. Writing about it has made me want to go make some for dinner… gotta go!!

Baguette
submitted by Brittany ~ http://www.www.thesisterscafe.com/
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs. (2 packages) dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
In a small bowl mix the warm water with the yeast and sugar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes – foam should form on the top.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and salt. Gradually add the yeast mixture. Mix until the dough becomes a smooth ball and knead for 5 minutes. (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook)
Cut in half and then shape into 2 baguettes. To make them smooth and pretty, roll each half of dough into rectangle and roll up lengthwise. Pinch the edges to seal and place on lightly greased cookie sheet (or silpat) with seam down. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. With a very sharp knife (I like to use a serrated blade) gently make a slash down the length of each baguette. This will give it that authentic look. Pour water in a cookie sheet and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake the bread for 15 minutes. Half way through, brush the bread with melted butter. **I tried it with olive oil too… it was less crispy and salty. We liked the butter a lot more!

Comments

1. Beth says

I will have to try this today. I posted a bruchestta recipe today that we have been making every day since Saturday! This bread will work perfectly. It looks beautiful.

2. Erin says

Haha! I laughed out loud when you said that Eric usually makes bland comments like, "it's good" because that reminds me of Jed! hehe! When he gives me a big response, I get pretty excited! :) gotta love those guys! I will definitely try this out. yummy!

3. The French says

Looks delicious! Congrats. Think there's a way to make it with whole wheat flour? Or is that an insult to the baguette?

4. Mindy says

Wow! Beautiful and sounds totally delicious, too. And I agree with you and Erin… these guys obviously don't deserve the good meals they get with those casual, "yeah, it's good"said in complete monotone. Griff is EXACTLY the same way. Too funny. I'll have to try this and see if I get the same response. :)

5. Melanie says

Brittany – the bread looks absolutely amazing! It doesn't take much to convince me to make bread…can't wait to try this!

6. Melanie Anne says

The French,
    To answer your question–I made this with half wheat flour and it was great! Next time I am going to try it with all whole wheat flour. I will leave a comment here on how it works!

7. The French says

Thanks Melanie Anne. Definitely let us know how it goes. Not that I don't love the real thing; am trying to work in my whole wheat wherever I can. But even half wheat flour is a start!

8. Nichole says

WOW!! Made it tonight…so easy and so so good…mine was not as nearly as pretty as yours though ;) oh well, next time!!!

9. Julie B. says

I made this last night and it was good, but I had problems getting the slit down the middle. The dough fell and then when it was baked, it didn't pull apart. I just wound up with a slit down the middle. I am making it again today right now. It is raising, but this time I did the slit before I let it rise. It looks more like yours does now. I also added a tad less salt. If I was using it to dip into a marinara, the salt content would be fine, but just eating it with some butter on it, it was a little too salty.

Thank you for the recipe!!

10. Brittany says

Hi Julie B,

The original recipe said to make the slit prior to raising but when I do that the slit opens super wide…I didn't like that. So I make the slit towards the end of raising or after raising but when you do it that way you have to have a really sharp knife and do it very carefully so the dough doesn't fall. SOrry I wasn't more clear about that and that you had a problem! With our french bread recipe you make the slits after the raising too so I just decided to do it like that. Anyway, glad you liked the bread though. It is definitely a salty bread (I love it like that!) but it's easy to adjust so I'm glad you're doing it the way you like it! Thanks for giving me feedback – I appreciate it!! Brittany

11. KaufusiFamily says

I made this last night for dinner. It was super yummy! My kids gobbled it up. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you so much for sharing all your great recipes. I love this blog!

12. Twisted Chicken says

I made this last night and it was delicious. I love that I can have fresh, hot, homemade bread on the table in an hour. Thanks for this great recipe.

13. Keersten says

I am so excited for this! I always want to make bread, but the thinking ahead always seems to get me–argh. This is perfect! It looks fantastic! You guys are so great!

14. Smith Family says

This is my husband's new favorite bread. I make a pretty mean french bread, but he likes this even more. I had issues with the slit, too, so it's good to know I can just slit it earlier in the rising process. It was also a bit salty for me, but very easy to decrease the salt. Overall, a very, very good recipe. I love that it raises so quickly!

15. Brittany says

Hey everyone! This last time I made it, I went back and did the slit before the rising since several of you seemed to have an issue with slitting it after. Well…I can assure you that nothing has changed for me, it still doesn't work for me that way and I'll tell you why! For one thing, the slit widens during rising and baking so by the time it's all said and done, the ridges are half way down the outside of the loaf!! And also, if your dough is at all too soft (which mine was this time) the slit pretty much "melts" away by the end of rising and baking so that there is no ridges at all. Personally I'm going to stick with carefully slitting it after rising BUT it is one of those things that is completely up to you! EVeryone does things different – especially with baking, which is one reason it's so fun to do! So try both ways and see which is better for you – have fun!!

• Emily says

I’ve made a similar quick-baguette recipe before (not as quick as this, I’m excited to try it today) and instead of 1 long slit down the middle, I did 3 or 4 smaller, cross-wise slits down the loaf. Does that make sense? You may have better luck with smaller, shorter, diagonal slits instead of trying to go the whole length. Just a suggestion! Good luck!

16. Diane says

YUM, YUM! I just found your blog and I LOVE it. This was my first recipe that I tried and it came out great. I made it with homemade chicken noodle soup and everyone loved it. I cut the bread after it raised and it was fine. I think the trick is the knife. I used a bread knife and it worked great! Thanks again. :)

17. Jenny says

OK, so I tried this and had tons of problems. I do not bake a lot of bread anyway and am sure a lot is due to me.

1. my dough never formed a ball. It was soupy. So I added flour while kneading to help it get that elastic feel (I do make homemade tortillas and understand that elastic but still slightly sticky feel of dough)

2. My slit didn't work either time I tried it. When I cut it with the knife it sort of deflated. Kinda odd.

3. My did not raise up but instead spread wide. So I ended up with a wide loaf where the bread was kinda dense.

Tasted great and hubby asked me to make more today but what am I doing wrong? Any tips?

18. Brittany says

Hi Jenny, I wonder what went wrong?! Hearing that your dough was "soupy" makes me think there was an error in amounts in ingredients… either too much liquid or not enough flour. i would double check it all when you make it again. That could be why it didn't rise well either. (having wrong amounts of anything…even if the extra flour makes the consistency better) Mine will go wider (and flatter/denser) if I have not added enough flour – so that is something to consider too. About the slit, you have to use a SUPER sharp knife, preferrably with a serrated edge. That way when you cut the slit, you barely have to touch the loaf. Try a sawing motion with not much pressure down – that can help avoid "deflating" your loaf. I hope some of this helps. Good luck and let me know how it went the second time. At least it still tasted yummy! :)

• Angel says

I had the same issue as Jenny. Mine was really soupy and sticky and I had to add a lot more flour, but it still was too sticky to do anything with. I have it rising in a lump right now and I plan to still bake it! :-) We will see how it turns out!

19. Jenny says

I do not have a knife that sharp so that makes sense. I will try measuring again. Do you sift your flour? Raise on counter or in warmed oven?

20. Julie says

I made this bread today and is it WONDERFUL! Thanks for your great blog. Everything looks great!

21. Mindy says

I made this with dinner last night, and it was so so good! In fact, I took my 2nd loaf to a neighbor because I wanted someone else to enjoy it hot, too. I haven't tried it with olive oil, but I don't think I ever will. It was SO good with the melted butter over the top. Yum!

22. jennifer says

I just made this for the first time. It was mostly for my 3 year old with dairy allergies. Unfortunately, my husband gobbled it up before I had the chance to pack it up! I will repeat for sure! Thanks for all the fabulous recipes!

23. haley says

This was the most AMAZING dinner bread I have ever had. Thank you so much for discovering it and posting it. We gobbled it right up with our Butternut Squash soup. I love your site. And I love that you are LDS. Me too!

24. Tannis says

I made this last night and used half white flour, half white whole wheat. It was delicious even if it didn't rise the way I'd hoped. Went more out than up but the flavor was still good. I also had trouble with the slit after the rise, so I'll play around with that to find out what works for me. Thanks for sharing!

25. Lissa says

When I made this, my dough was also soupy. I’m sure I used the correct amounts of ingredients.

How long did you mix it with your Kitchen Aid mixer? And at what speed?

These look SO good and I’d really like to make them and have them turn out well.

Thank you!

• Olivia says

I had the same experience as Lissa with soupy dough! In addition to Lissa’s questions re: the mixer, I had a few other questions. What temp is considered “warm” water for this recipe? What type of flour – all purpose vs. bread flour or something else?

I ended up adding more flour (since it was sticking to my hands and anything it touched), formed it into ugly looking loaves (since rolling it was impossible) and baked it anyway. In the end, they didn’t really look like your pictures, but my 6 and 3 year-old boys gave it two thumbs up :)

• says

I used more flour than it called for since mine didn’t come together in the kitchenaid….I used about 1/2 cup more….I just added a little at a time till it came together in a ball.

26. Masha says

I made this tonight with 1-1/2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups white. I brushed the top with a mixture of olive oil, kosher salt, dried basil and garlic powder and it turned out great. The only thing is, it wasn’t crusty. Was it supposed to be crusty? I will make it again anyway.

27. Magda says

I have tried your recipe several times but I have z few problems. My bread needs to bake a lot longer than 15 minutes. Also, I do not get a crunchy crust. Instead, my crust is thicker and the inside of the bread is still not baked. Any ideas why?

28. Diane says

My guess is that your oven might not be baking it at the right temp (maybe the temperature is off a bit). You might try using a thermometer in the bread after the 15 min. time that this recipe gives. The internal temp should be 190 degrees. Also, make sure that you are putting the pan of water underneath. You could also try a perforated pan or a round pan that has holes in it. It helps make the bread crunchier. Good luck! I hope this helps. :)

29. May says

I found your recipe on Pinterest and decided to make it today. I followed the directions and measured everything exactly as written, but my loaves did not rise AT ALL. They were the same size as when I first covered them with the towel. I haven’t tasted it yet (still waiting for it to cool) but I’m disappointed at the way it turned out. Any suggestions? Could it have to do with the water temp when mixing the yeast?

30. Karen says

I don’t know how I originally found your website, specifically this recipe, probably pinterest. I’ve been saving this for some time now, and finally made it tonight. I used better for bread flour, and after reading the comments, made the slit after 20 minutes of rising, then let it rise for another 10. It turned out great! It looked amazing, smelled amazing, and tasted good. I was hoping that it would have been more crispy, but still very yummy!! Thanks so much!!

I made this bread yesterday and–wow–it was great! It turned out perfect. I made it to go with some soup (I blogged about it at http://livinginlangley.blogspot.com/2012/04/minestrone-soup-and-brilliant-tip.html). I had been wanting to try it because it seemed so easy and you don’t have to plan hours and days ahead. wow Wow WOW. I’ll make this again and again. My husband, who likes bread but usually only eats one piece if that, kept going back for more and more and said he loved it. Besides eating it as is, I also put some garlic and butter on a piece and toasted it in the oven, and it was delicious. I will give the second loaf away as we don’t need to eat that much bread and I love sharing homemade foods.

I was surprised it was soft. I had been expecting a harder crunchy type of baguette. I wonder if there’s any way to get it crunchier for times when that’s what I’m going for. I definitely cooked it enough. It was cooked all the way through, read 208+ on the instant read thermometer, and was not doughy in the least. Do you think omitting the pan of water beneath would make a difference? Or maybe leaving off the melted butter?

As a softer baguette, it was just perfect with our soup supper. And made into smaller baguettes, it would make a killer deli sandwich bread or french dip bread. so So SO happy to have found this recipe and your site! Thank you. :)

32. Meg says

Thanks for the great recipe! I turned out great. Gwen (see above post :)- I, too, am wondering how to make this crispier. As the original recipe states, going the olive oil route doesn’t help. And the flavor of the butter is just so nice. But what about an egg wash on top?? perhaps that might crisp things up. Just a though…

• Britt says

Meg and Gwen, I bet it would be a little crispier without the butter but like you said meg, it just tastes so yummy! An egg wash would give it a pretty shiny texture but would not made it crispier, but more chewy. Check out the Grandmas French bread recipe to see what an egg wash would look like. If you roll them in flour right before laying them on the pan to rise it does make them slightly crispier. But to be honest, nothing I’ve tried makes a huge difference. I just think of them as a soft baguette! :)

33. Joyce says

Just pulled mine out of the own. They look fantastic! I used all whole wheat flour and added shedded cheddar and jack cheese to it. I can hardly wait to cut it. Now to make may tomato basil soup.

34. Brittany F. says

I made this recipe with my 6 year old son.This was my first attempt at making any kind of bread. It was extremely simple!!!!! They are beyond delicious. I think we ate nearly half a loaf in less than 30 minutes. We made another batch so that we would have plenty for tomorrow’s dinner. I am absolutely amazed at how quick this was. I will never buy baguettes again! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!!

35. Tera says

I made this recipe today and couldn’t believe how easy it was! My husband already ate one of the loaves but I STILL have enough time to make more before dinner. Thank you for this fantastic recipe, new favorite!

36. Britt says

I am so happy that so many people are loving this recipe! It really is simple, isn’t it? And tastes awesome. Some of you seemed to have some troubles with it but other people have great suggestions that I agree with. Water temp should be warm, not hot and your yeast can’t be too old or it won’t work. Also you may need a little more or less flour than called for- just add until the dough is a soft ball and just slightly sticky. About making it crustier…. Honestly I don’t think with this fast and simple recipe you can get that super crusty texture. However if you roll the shaped baguettes in flour before you lay them out to rise it helps a little. Also the boiling pan of water on the bottom of the oven is important. Hope that answers a few questions! :)

This recipe is amazing. I love how quick and easy it is for homemade bread. I even tried putting this dough in a loaf pan and it turned out great. I halved the recipe and baked for 18 minutes and was perfect. Thanks for the quick and easy homemade baguette recipe.

38. Yolanda says

I have made this a couple of times now. This is the easiest recipe I have found so far!! I was giving up on ever being able to make a decent bread!! Today I did cut the salt in half as it was a little too salty for my taste, (the family loved it!!!) and the other loaf I rolled into a rectangle and sprinkled heavily with cinnamon. The cinnamon bread was awesome!!! Especially after I made up a little bit of frosting/glaze to spread on it. This was easier and quicker than making cinnamon rolls to get my fix!! Thanks for a great and EASY recipe. I will be the bread Queen!!

I made this tonight. One loaf I kept plain. The other I spread with a little marinara sauce and garlic powder before I rolled it up. It was the best bread ever. Thank you!

40. Cheryl says

Just made this – not as crusty as traditional baguette, but so quick and easy with such delicious flavor! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

41. Julie Spears says

I just made this and it turned out wonderful. Next time I might turn my oven down to 425° though, because it browned too quickly after spreading the melted butter. But I couldn’t resist having a couple pieces and it’s delish. No more store-bought baguettes for us. I always thought French breads and baguettes were difficult, but this recipe was very easy and quick. Thanks for posting.

42. Lauren says

I don’t bake at all, I pretty much try to avoid getting out the flour at all costs, but we have a baguette with about every meal. I am inspired to make this tomorrow – I have all the ingredients. Way to inspire a non-baker! Maybe you just changed my life…

43. Tatertot says

OH…MY…HEAVENS! I wish I would’ve found this recipe a long time ago. It was divine. I followed the recipe exactly and I took out one loaf when it was light brown. It was nice and soft for the kids, and I baked mine for 5 minutes more because I love crunchy bread. The flavor is to die for and I love the richness/salty flavor of the butter. I will never buy store bought bread again. I am going to make garlic bread out of it for tonight’s dinner…that is if I haven’t eaten it all yet! :)

44. Tomas says

The picture of your loaves and the picture from where you referenced the recipie look nothing alike. Your pictures look more along the lines at what I am looking for as a final product, the referenced site looks like a biscuit loaf :(

• Brittany says

Well mine do look more golden/dark but the texture of the final product is definitely not biscuit-y. It’s a very soft yeast bread. Its not hard/chewy on the outside like traditional baguette but the flavor is delicious and the soft texture is delicious anyway!

I LOVE this recipe! I have made it so many times since discovering it last year and I improve with it every time! I’ve made it with all white flour and with half white/half wheat and both are so good. Mine cooks in less than 15 minutes, more like 10-11 so keep an eye on it. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

46. Jessica says

This was so simple and came out delicious. It took 20 minutes in my oven to be golden brown, and it could use a little more salt, but the recipe is fantastic and the texture is perfect. I have made this twice already and will continue to make it again.

47. Kristin Del Mul says

So I had similar troubles as others where my dough was “soupy” and had to add more flour. I added about a cup more flour and it was still a very soft dough. I was afraid to add more flour, though, so I went ahead and formed the loaves by rolling long ropes (similar to making a soft pretzel). I had my oven on warm and put the dough in the oven to rise. After 30 min. I got very spread out, somewhat puffy loaves. As soon as I took them out of the oven, they deflated. I decided to bake it anyway and it’s in the oven now. We’ll see what I end up with.

What I find frustrating is that some many others (from the comments) had this recipe turn out fantastic. I’m not a newbie to yeast breads so this baffles my mind as to what could have gone wrong??? I know I measured everything correctly and followed the instructions. I did check the original recipe from the Frosted Bake Shop and I noticed that the instructions and process are slightly different. If I do decide to try this bread again, I’ll follow the directions on the original post from Frosted Bake Shop to see if I get different results.

Overall, I’m disappointed that what appeared to be an easy quick bread with great results is not all that. Please let me know if anyone figured out the “trick” to this bread.

48. jennielynn says

This is such a great recipe. I cheated and made the dough in my bread machine, leaving the final rise and bake for my oven. I got two absolutely delicious loaves. Never, ever buying french bread again!!!

49. JP says

This recipe looks easy and I am eager to give it a try. I am curious to know about placing a baking pan of water on the bottom rack while the bread bakes on the top rack. What is the purpose of that? Thanks.

50. Sherilyn says

Just made this and it was good. I used bread flour and I don’t know if that was right. I also had super sticky dough, but maybe needed more flour. I certainly plan on trying it again since we cannot get fresh bread anywhere due to food allergies. Thank you!

51. Ellie says

I made this recipe so many times last year that the copy i printed disintegrated, but that didn’t matter because I had it memorized after the first few times anyways. I’m back on this rainy day to print out a new copy and start baking again. Thanks!

52. Lisa says

My husband and I loved your recipe!!!!!! Took longer to bake in my oven, too….. but oh, so worth the wait!!!!!!!

I know this is an old blog post but I thought I would write anyway. I wish I would have read all of the comments before I began. I made one batch and it was very soupy. I thought I must have done something wrong so I threw it away and started again. This time I was really careful and it was still soupy. I added more flour and it’s in the rising stage now but I have a feeling it’s not going to rise. It makes me crazy that some people can make this and it’s awesome and others are having problems. The only thing I can think of is that some people are using some or all whole wheat flour and I think that can take a lot more liquid. Most french bread recipes call for almost twice as much flour as this one with only 2 cups of liquid. I don’t mind wasting the time as much as I mind the waste of ingredients.

54. Susan says

I have made this bread a couple of times and it is scrumptious!!! I am not a bread baker, and I had no problems. I did make three loaves out of the recipe. One was plain, second I added “everything” bagel seasoning inside and out, and third I did fresh rosemary, garlic , and olive oil!! They were all great! Thank you for such an easy and delicious recipe!

55. Myriem says

I tried out so many recipes, you can’t imagine. YOU are the best. I made it with jalapeños, olives or roasted onions. The best “bread” ever. Thank you so much.

Trackbacks