Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

by Erin on May 7, 2010

This is my last hurrah for soup season! It’s been stormy here, so I snuck this yummy dinner in one last time before summer strikes! :) This is a hearty, chunky, veggie laden, and delicious soup! Thanks to my sister-in-law, Melanie, at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. She gave this to me a loooong time ago, when we were both practically newly weds. :) Oh, one more tip – It is also fabulous served in a bread bowl. You can find a recipe for bread bowls here. (Something I like to do: When I bake breadbowls for my small family we don’t eat all of them, so I freeze the rest and then I can pull them out when I make soup next time, and it makes dinner that much more special and tasty.) I bet this recipe would be super yummy with this chicken stock as its base… Mmmm!

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
submitted by Erin Walker ~ The Sisters Cafe

½ c. butter
1 finely chopped onion
½ – 1 c. frozen corn (or ½ c. chopped celery, if preferred)
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ c. carrots, sliced
¾ c. all-purpose flour
6 ½ c. chicken broth (can use 7 bouillon cubes plus 6 ½ c. water)
2 c. cooked wild rice (once I tried using a box of wild rice/brown rice combo with a seasoning packet and it was great)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp black pepper
1 c. slivered almonds
2 c. half-and-half (you could use non-fat half-and-half for a low-fat version, but I haven’t tried it.)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, corn, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes more. Then add flour and stir well. Transfer mixture to a large pot. Over medium heat, gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly until all has been added. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer.
Next add the rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper and almonds. Allow to heat through then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Do not boil or the roux will break. Delicious served in a bread bowl as well.
Yield: 6-8 servings

1 Damaris May 7, 2010 at 9:46 am

YYUUMM!!

2 Loughmiller's May 7, 2010 at 10:21 am

This Looks fabulous! I found your site about 4 weeks ago, and I have made about 5 different meals. They were all yummy! Even my picky eater said they were yummy! Thank you for your site!
I wanted to let you know they have a bouillon that doesn't have MSG in it at the stores. It really is yummy. It is called "Better than Bouillon". You have to keep it in the fridge.

3 Brittany May 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm

looks delicious Erin! It is still soup season here in Seattle too!

4 Erin May 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Hi Loughmillers!
Thank you for the tip about Better than Bouillon. I bought it for the first time a few months ago, and sometimes I forget I have it just because I'm not accustomed to using it regularly. I would definitely agree that it would be better than cubes in this recipe! Thanks again!

5 Memória May 7, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I'm bookmarking this soup recipe. It looks and sounds amazing. Another great one! Thanks for sharing.

6 Allison Tuttle May 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

This soup is AMAZING! My husband and I both love it…it is probably in our top 3 soup recipes. Make this one…you'll love it too. :)

7 DeeDee1Whoa May 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Whoever wants to affiliate with my blog or for us to follow each other's blogs on Blogger, let me know! I'm willing to return the favor, I mean we could all use some more traffic & readers on our blogs.

8 Leslie May 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Your last soup for the season??? I could eat soup allllll year long! YUM! looks divine

9 Melissa May 12, 2010 at 11:17 am

This soup looks yummy. Where have I been?…I'm excited to know about "Better than Bouillon". By the way, Erin, have you posted your recipe for homemade breadbowls yet? Sounds interesting and fun. I would love to see that recipe. Thanks.

10 Erin May 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Hi Melissa!
I haven't posted my bread bowl recipe yet. I'll post it soon! :) Hope you like the soup!

11 buddens December 16, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I just tried this tonight and I loooove it! It's perfect for the snow day we had here!

12 Melanie May 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh yes, I LOVE this soup! It would be better if you were at my house making it for me. Which begs the question – since we are only one state away, why on earth don’t we see each other more? I should drive over with the boys this summer…