I recently ordered this double waffle maker from the Amazon online. The day I received my new waffle iron, tried this ‘fancy’ waffle recipe from one of my favorite wholegrain cookbooks. These waffles were such a treat, piled high with banana cream. You would never believe that they were whole grain! And the waffle iron’s sweet heart shaped sections are so fun and worked perfectly! Win win!
But if you are in the mood for classic waffles–try Waffles of Insane Greatness here, they are incredible!!
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Waffles with Banana Cream
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Waffles
- 1 cup spelt flour (can use regular whole wheat or white flour)
- 2 Tb baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 Tb butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- yield: 2 cups
- 2 large bananas
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- To make the waffle batter: Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Cream the peanut butter with the sugar until it softens, then pour in the butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time the mixture is completely smooth. You'll need to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the milk gradually, the mixture will be very wet. Stir in the flour mixture on the slowest speed and mix until just combined Stir in chocolate chips. Let the batter sit for at least 10 minutes before you use it. This is especially important with spelt, as the batter starts out very soupy, but thickens as the grain absorbs the liquid. Cook waffles in a hot waffle iron and serve with Banana Cream.
- Mash the bananas in a small bowl and sprinkle them with the sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Whip cream in a separate bowl until it is stiff. Fold the banana mixture into the whipped cream and serve immediately.