Oatmeal Pancake Mix

Wow this summer is turning out to be a little crazy for me with 5 boys home all the time!! I am finding that our mornings are dragging on and on while I try to get in my daily exercise, scripture study, shower, get ready and make a nice breakfast for my crew. Honestly, I do enjoy making a hearty and warm breakfast for my boys. They wake up HUNGRY and they really do appreciate a good meal. It makes me happy, but man alive I am seriously thinking about installing a vanity in my kitchen, so I could put on mascara and flat iron while I flip pancakes:) Since that is not really possible, I found a way to streamline with this pancake mix I saw at My Kitchen Cafe awhile ago. I LOVE it! It is healthy and hearty and best of all, saves me lots of time in the morning so we aren’t finishing our breakfast around lunch time.

By the way…do you need a way to get your whole house clean fast? Click here.

Oatmeal Pancake Mix
submitted by MelaniePrintable recipe here

This will make 10 cups of dry mix

3 1/2 cups quick oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixer fitted with a paddle or you can do it by hand. With mixer on slow speed (or gently by hand), drizzle the vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it stays together, it is just right. If it is still crumbly, add another tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct). Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.

To make the pancakes: whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk will also work), and 1 egg. The mixture may seem thin at first but the oats will soak up the milk as it stands while the griddle preheats. Heat a griddle and drop the batter onto it. When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface and don’t break, turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side.

I personally LOVE to use buttermilk in my bake goods it makes everything moist and tender. And, buttermilk can be frozen for future batches of pancakes, so it’s worth keeping around!

*1 cup of mix will make about 6-7 4-inch pancakes

Recipe Source: Adapted from King Arthur Flour The Baker’s Companion via My kitchen cafe

Comments

1. josh and allie says

I thought rolled oats were not the same as quick. I thought rolled were old fashioned. Am I wrong? They look delish. I want to make them tomorrow morning! Thanks

2. Brittany says

what a great idea, a wholesome homemade pancake mix – I love it! your blog entry about cleaning the house was so cute too! Those boys sure have a fun mom! :)

3. Starke Family says

Thank you so much for your blog full of wonderful recipes! I have made your baguette recipe countless times and come here first when I need something delicious! Just wanted to tell you I appreciate you!

4. SPARKYLARKY says

Ok this may be a stupid question….
    can you sub. white flour for the wheat flour? (I dont have wheat flour on hand.)

This mix looks easy to make and I love that you'll have extra on hand.

5. Gina says

For breakfast, my children love pancakes with clover creamed honey on top. I usually buy instant pancake mix at the grocery. It is certainly good to know that oats can be used in making pancake mix. Studies shows that oatmeal is a good source of fiber. In addition, oats also are proven to decrease the likelihood of developing heart disease. I would definitely give this recipe a try. My kids would love a different twist with their favorite breakfast meal!

6. Jen O says

I made this mix a while ago from the other blog, and no matter how long I let it set, it was still runny. I used about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of mix to the other ingredients. It still tasted great, and I kept the mix in the freezer until I wanted to use it. Any ideas? Thanks!

7. Melanie Anne says

Dear Jen O,
    I have never had that problem, but I have a couple of ideas. First of all, did you use wheat flour? Also, make sure to let the batter sit for awhile while you heat up the griddle, set the table, pour the drinks etc. The whole grains (whole wheat and oats) really soak up the wet indredients and expand. The batter will thicken considerably if you let it sit for awhile before you cook them up. Hope that helps!

I love healthy and simple! Can I use oatbran in place of the oatmeal and white wheat in
    place of the whole wheat?
    By the way, my husband and I have 7 daughters. It’s a slumber party at our house every night!