Mmmm…milano cookies. I’m wishing I didn’t give most of these away to neighbors right about now! They just turned out so pretty I had to share. These cookies are different, fun to make, and very yummy! I literally made myself sick from all the “extra dough” I kept snitching. It was just too tempting. Thanks to my friend, Alynn Hansen at “Meals for Moms” for this yummy recipe!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Milano Cookies
Submitted by Amy ~ The Sisters Cafe
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
8 oz. strawberry flavored cream cheese
1. Combine butter, sugar, salt, egg yolk, and vanilla together. Mix on low speed until well mixed.
2. Slowly add flour and mix until dough becomes stiff.
3. Roll dough on floured surface to about 1/8 inch thick. Try to keep your dough in as much of a rectangular shape as possible. Take a little time to roll it out nice and soft. If you press to hard with your rolling pin, the dough will stick to the pin.
4. Take a fluted pastry wheel (or a regular pizza cutter if you don’t have one!) and cut the edges of dough to form a big rectangle. Once you have your rectangle, cut dough into 1″ x 3″ rectangles. I do this but cutting rectangle into 1″ strips going one direction, and then 3″ perpendicular strips. Repeat with extra dough. You should get at least 50-60 rectangles depending on how thin your dough has been rolled out.
5. Place cookies on baking sheet and bake 350 for 8-10 min.
6. Melt chocolate chips over double boiler, or in a microwave for approximately 2 min at 50% power (additional 30 sec intervals if necessary) until chocolate is smooth and creamy.
7. Frost 1/2 the cookies with the melted chocolate mixture and the other 1/2 with strawberry cream cheese. Stick them together forming little sandwich cookies.
8. Place remaining chocolate in a sandwich baggie and cut the corner off. Drizzle over cookies. (If you don’t mind getting messy, I preferred to drizzle the chocolate of the end of a large spoon. It’s up to you though)
9. Refrigerate 10 minutes, serve, and enjoy!