Oh my goodness–this dessert is amazing! Seriously, it is one of my all time favorite fall desserts! Whenever I serve this, without fail people ask me for the recipe. I have to admit that this recipe beat me at a pumpkin themed recipe contest I was involved in at Thanksgiving Point years ago. I got second, but I had to completely agree with the judges choice. We got to sample all the entries and this was hands down the best (darn it:) I of course asked my fellow contestant for a copy of her winning recipe and she sweetly gave it to me. I have been making it ever since! This is perfect for fall and all of the holiday season. It is perfect for parties, looking very impressive and feeding lots (15-20). If you are not a pecan fan, like my husband you can use toasted almonds instead.
PS My weekly menu with recipe links here. What is on your menu?
- 1 pkg spice cake mix
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup vegtable oil (can do ¼ cup applesauce, and ¼ cup oil instead)
- ½ cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 pkgs. (3.4 oz) cheesecake flavored instant pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups freshly whipped cream (unsweetened)
- ½ cup chopped, toasted pecans or almonds
- ½ cup Skor toffee bits
- Preaheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 baking pan with vegtable oil spray. Place all cake ingredients in large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed from 1 minute. Scrape down sides and then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more. Batter should look think and well blended. Pour into prepared pan and backe 32-39 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely. (cake can be frozen at this point. Thaw at room temperature before assembling trifle.) When ready to prepare trifle, cut or tear into approx. 1 inch cubes.
- Combine pudding mixes with milk and blend with whisk until it starts to thicken. Fold in whipped cream, then quickly assemble trifle.
- Place ⅓ of cake cubes into trifle bowl. Top with ⅓ of cream mixture and sprinkle with ⅓ of nuts and toffee bits. Repeat layers two more times, ending with nuts and toffee on top. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered no longer that 24 hours.