White Chicken Chili

I have been making this chili for years. It is simple, flavorful and delicious. I made the pictured chili using canned beans, chicken broth and some rotisserie chicken for Halloween weekend. It came together in minutes and was gobbled up at our church ‘trunk or treat’ night. If you use dry beans the resulting chili is thicker. This really hits the spot and warms you up on a cold evening. Enjoy!
White Chicken Chili
submitted by Melanie
printable recipe here
1 lb great northern beans ( i like to use Navy beans-they are smaller)
1-2 lbs cooked and shredded chicken
6 cups chicken broth
1 Tb olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2- 4oz cans diced green chilis
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
*additional grated jack cheese and cilantro for garnish
1. Soak beans overnight. Drain, rinse and pick over to remove bad beans. Add broth to beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer beans until tender (usually all day in crockpot on low).
2 Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent (about 10 minutes). Mix in green chilies an spices. Add to the beans. Stir in chicken and then cheese. Stir until thick.
Garnish with grated Monterey Jack cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.
Fast and Easy Method
**This makes a delicious soup in a matter of minutes**
For Step 1: Instead of cooking 1 lb beans in 6 cups of broth–just open 3 (14oz) cans of great Northern (or Navy) beans and 2 (14oz) cans Chicken broth and then proceed with recipe.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Coleen's Recipes says

This sounds delightful!! We love chili and I'm looking forward to trying this one. I've never even seen a white chili recipe, thank you!!

2. Joanne says

Just made this for tomorrow nites dinner – I used the can beans also – it was pretty soupy yet the flavor was yummy (had to taste) – my husband won't eat soup – so I added a can of cream of chicken and that still wasn't enough so brought everything to a boil and added flour to thicken it – it's thicker – hopefully he'll eat it – I mean he would like it if he ate it – LOL! Any ideas on thickening it up a bit more? Maybe after sitting overnite it will be! Thanks for the recipe!

3. Crafty P says

I love eating white chicken chili on All Hallow's eve! I made it yesterday, too! ANd you just reminded me I forgot all about the cilantro!!!

4. Mindy says

I love your yellow bowl and plate, Mel! I am wanting some pretty dishes lately. I'm sick of my boring cream ones. :) I love this soup, too! I haven't made it for awhile so thanks for reminding me. I have used canned chicken when I am in a hurry, which is super fast and yummy, too.

5. Peggy says

What a perfect chili for a fall day! I'm definitely partial to white chilies and can't wait to give this one a go!

6. Melanie Anne says

JoAnne,
    If you use dry beans and soak them and cook them–the soupl is much thicker. Also–try adding less broth next time.

Nicole,
    It is funny that you said I should try Navy beans–because tat is exactly what I use most of the time! I just added that to the recipe. I like Navy beans better because they are smaller and more kid friendly. yum!

Mindy,
    The dishes are from World Market–I got them on a great sale–and I do love them! It is fun to have color once in awhile:)