White Chicken Chili

by Melanie on November 1, 2010

I have been making this chili for years. It is simple, flavorful and delicious. I made the pictured chili using canned beans, chicken broth and some rotisserie chicken for Halloween weekend. It came together in minutes and was gobbled up at our church ‘trunk or treat’ night. If you use dry beans the resulting chili is thicker. This really hits the spot and warms you up on a cold evening. Enjoy!
White Chicken Chili
submitted by Melanie
printable recipe here
1 lb great northern beans ( i like to use Navy beans-they are smaller)
1-2 lbs cooked and shredded chicken
6 cups chicken broth
1 Tb olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2- 4oz cans diced green chilis
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
*additional grated jack cheese and cilantro for garnish
1. Soak beans overnight. Drain, rinse and pick over to remove bad beans. Add broth to beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer beans until tender (usually all day in crockpot on low).
2 Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent (about 10 minutes). Mix in green chilies an spices. Add to the beans. Stir in chicken and then cheese. Stir until thick.
Garnish with grated Monterey Jack cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.
Fast and Easy Method
**This makes a delicious soup in a matter of minutes**
For Step 1: Instead of cooking 1 lb beans in 6 cups of broth–just open 3 (14oz) cans of great Northern (or Navy) beans and 2 (14oz) cans Chicken broth and then proceed with recipe.

1 Eliana November 1, 2010 at 1:35 pm

This chilli looks perfect for a cozy Fall day.

2 Coleen's Recipes November 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm

This sounds delightful!! We love chili and I'm looking forward to trying this one. I've never even seen a white chili recipe, thank you!!

3 Brittany November 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm

this soup is awesome!! Thanks Mel! It is POURING rain here in Seattle so soup sounds just perfect!

4 Joanne November 1, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Just made this for tomorrow nites dinner – I used the can beans also – it was pretty soupy yet the flavor was yummy (had to taste) – my husband won't eat soup – so I added a can of cream of chicken and that still wasn't enough so brought everything to a boil and added flour to thicken it – it's thicker – hopefully he'll eat it – I mean he would like it if he ate it – LOL! Any ideas on thickening it up a bit more? Maybe after sitting overnite it will be! Thanks for the recipe!

5 Crafty P November 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I love eating white chicken chili on All Hallow's eve! I made it yesterday, too! ANd you just reminded me I forgot all about the cilantro!!!

6 Nicole November 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

Try this soup with navy beans instead of great northern. Great blog, btw!

7 Mindy November 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

I love your yellow bowl and plate, Mel! I am wanting some pretty dishes lately. I'm sick of my boring cream ones. :) I love this soup, too! I haven't made it for awhile so thanks for reminding me. I have used canned chicken when I am in a hurry, which is super fast and yummy, too.

8 Peggy November 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm

What a perfect chili for a fall day! I'm definitely partial to white chilies and can't wait to give this one a go!

9 Leslie November 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm

White chicken chili is one of my favorite soups of all time!

10 Holly November 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Printed!! Another yummy sounding recipe-I'll be trying it maybe next week:) thanks!

11 Melanie Anne November 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

JoAnne,
If you use dry beans and soak them and cook them–the soupl is much thicker. Also–try adding less broth next time.

Nicole,
It is funny that you said I should try Navy beans–because tat is exactly what I use most of the time! I just added that to the recipe. I like Navy beans better because they are smaller and more kid friendly. yum!

Mindy,
The dishes are from World Market–I got them on a great sale–and I do love them! It is fun to have color once in awhile:)