If you love eggnog then these cookies are for you! I have some serious eggnog fans in my house and they LOVED these little babies. I made half of them plain (no nuts) and my family preferred them that way. Next time I will double the recipe and not roll them in nuts. It is interesting that there is actually no eggnog in the recipe, but it sure tastes like there is. These cookies are fun, unique and super tasty!
A perfect addition to your holiday baking!
Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
Author: Melanie ~ www.thesisterscafe.com
- ⅔ cups butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 slightly beaten egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (I used almonds)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 2-3 tsp milk
- ground nutmeg for garnish
- Beat the ⅔ cup butter in a mixing bowl for 30 seconds. Add sugar and ⅛ tsp nutmeg; beat until combined. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Add flour. Cover and chill one hour. Shape into 1" balls. If desired roll balls in egg whites, then in chopped nuts. Place on parchment paper, silpat or slightly greased cookie sheet. Press centers with your thumb. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Cool
- For filling: Beat the ¼ cup butter until soft, then add the powdered sugar until fluffy. Add extract and enough milk to make it smooth. Place a small amount of filling into each cookie and sprinkle with nutmeg. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe Source: My sweet friend Stephanie M.