Mud Trifle and a Dump Truck Birthday Cake

by Mindy on December 30, 2010

My little boy had a birthday the week before Christmas.  I was practically nine months pregnant, and I was looking for something easy.  I saw this dump truck cake idea on the internet.  So much potential,  but the versions I saw looked painful to eat (cubed cake with hershey’s chocolate syrup drizzled on top).  So I decided to come up with my own “Mud Trifle” that would taste yummy and still pull off the muddy dirt look. What a hit!  My two year old LOVED it, and all the other little kids were giggling and laughing about eating “dirt” for dessert.  Well, all except one of my niece’s who needed several reassurances that it was truly NOT dirt before she would touch it. :) We had quite a few guests, so I actually made a second trifle in a pretty trifle bowl… but somehow I didn’t get a picture of it.  A spin on this idea would be to buy each child a small dump truck and put a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting and crushed oreos on top in the back of each one.  The small dump trucks would be your party favors.  (I saw some little dump trucks that would work perfectly at Wal-Mart for $3 each).  I wanted to do this, but with Christmas and being mega prego… it just didn’t happen.  :)
PS I had my new baby boy the very next night! 8 lbs 11oz and totally adorable. :)

Mud Trifle and a Dump Truck Birthday Cake
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 large toy dump truck
1 chocolate cake mix (any kind will do) prepared in 9 x13 pan
1 5.1 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups whipping cream
1-2 Tb of powdered sugar (optional)
1 package of oreos

Cube cake into 2 inch pieces.  Whip cream with hand mixer.  You can add 1-2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar if you like things a little sweeter.  Make pudding mix according to directions, then fold in the whipped cream.  Chop the oreos using a kitchen knife, or you could certainly crush them instead.  Layer chocolate cake cubes, pudding mixture, and oreos one at a time to fill the toy dump truck.  I made sure to set each layer back an inch or so from the previous to give the appearance of mounded dirt.  Then I made sure to glob a little of the pudding mixture out over the cake cubes at the back.  I included the picture from the back of the dump truck so you could see what I mean.  Insert the candles and enjoy!

1 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe December 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

This is so adorable!! Jed and I were looking at the pictures just now,and Jed agrees that it is a darling idea. I am definitely going to do this for Sammy's 2nd birthday. :) I just love this fun idea!

2 Heather of Kitchen Concoctions December 30, 2010 at 10:22 am

What a cute idea! I love the idea of doing smaller 'cake' trucks as party favors!

P.S.
Congrats on your new arrival!

3 Jennifurla December 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

That is the cutrest thing & idea, I bet the look on his face was priceless when he saw it!

4 Valerie December 30, 2010 at 11:46 am

Looks like a little boy's (and a chocoholic like me) dream come true!

5 Melanie Anne December 30, 2010 at 11:49 am

What an AWESOME idea!! I love it–with 5 boys why did i not think of this?? You are such a creative Mama!!I will defintely use this for a futre b-day for one of my boys! Happy Birthday sweet Jack! I love you!xoxo Wish I could have been there!

6 Holly December 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

That cake is AWESOME!!! My boys would think that was "da bomb" ;) lol

7 i i eee December 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This is such a wonderful idea! Will definitely tuck this away in my memory for future birthdays.

Congrats on your new little one!

8 Ashley December 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

This is fantastic! I need to brave up and try it out :)

9 Keersten December 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Darling! There is nothing better than a desert that is easy and super creative!

10 Amy December 30, 2010 at 4:30 pm

This was the best tasting "dirt" I've ever had!!:) And it looked SO cute!

11 Patty Ann December 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm

What a great idea for a boys birthday party! I know it was a big hit!!

12 The Mess Pot December 30, 2010 at 6:44 pm

This is such a great idea. So glad he loved it. Congratulaions on your new addition!

13 His grace is sufficient. December 30, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Wonderful idea and looks so yummy. Congratulations on the new little one.

14 ~Rosanne December 31, 2010 at 9:47 am

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

15 Thelissa December 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

So what you're sayin' is that the picture of you that is posted here is taken the night before you gave birth? Oh my… how come you get to look so darn good at 9 mo. pregnant?! I get all swollen and water retained! You look fantastic!

Congrats on the new baby and happy birthday to the big boy! I may copy this cake idea one day!

16 Raquel January 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm

thats a cute idea! i may have to do that next dec for my boys. they love dump trucks

17 egbkid January 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

So adorable, perfect for any little boy!! Congrats on the new baby, what a Christmas gift!
Your blog is wonderful, I am glad i stumbled upon it. I will be back soon!!

18 briarrose January 3, 2011 at 7:08 am

Brilliant! I love this.

19 Susan January 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for this idea! With 3, soon to be 4 birthdays in January I like to do something other than traditional cakes one after another. I found the truck and I'm making the cake tonight for my 2 year old! Thank you so much and congrats on your new baby!

20 Natalie January 5, 2011 at 12:29 am

I love this idea! I just ordered the truck online and I'm already planning on making one for my son's birthday in March. Thanks for posting it.

Now the big question…my baby girl is turning 1 at the end of January and I would love to do something similar (but obviously girly) for her. I'm not very creative. Any ideas of something fun I could do for a little girl?

21 Jenn January 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Sorry for the comment on an old post, but has anyone ever told you that your husband looks like Josh Duhmel? What a lucky woman (and man cuz your gorgeous too)! Ha Ha Ha!

22 Mindy January 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Jenn,

Your comment made me laugh. I agree, I am a lucky woman! And thanks for saying I looked "gorgeous" at full term… prego women need that. Thanks for making my day. :)

Mindy

Natalie,

I didn't notice your comment before. We only have two girls among us… Erin and Brittany each have one. I don't know if they have any good ideas for girl cakes, but we'll keep you posted if they come up with anything fun!

Mindy

23 Crystal June 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Such an adorable idea! I’m going to be doing this for my son’s first birthday in a few days, since it’s only gonna be us. :)

24 Mindy June 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hey Crystal,

This would be a perfect one year old cake! I can just imagine how much fun a one year old would have mushing his fingers through this trifle. You’ll definitely need to keep your camera handy! Let me know how it turns out!

25 shron January 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

It was fun to be reminded of this dump truck cake again via your post today (January 12, 2012)! I made it last June for my granson and he LOVED it! He didn’t want to take the cake out of it. When we took the cake out so he could take the truck home, he said, “That’s not my cake! Where my cake is?” The monster cupcakes are on for next June!

26 Mindy January 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

shron,
That is so great that the cake turned out for your grandson! It was such a hit with my little guy, that I’ve been so excited to see how it turns out for others. Oh, and I love “where my cake is?” For some reason those funny little grammar errors kids make are so endearing to me. I can just imagine him. Thanks for so much for sharing your experience!

27 Ashley B March 21, 2012 at 7:50 am

Wow I just love this! My son Jamison is about to turn two and seeing this post made me change my mind about his birthday party theme! So creative!

28 Shiree March 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

I love this idea and like your recipe better than any others I’ve seen. Did you make just one batch of everything for all of your guests or did you make a double batch. My baby is turning one in May and this is what I want to do but know that I will have to make a lot since there are 19 kids just between me and my sisters & in-laws.

29 Mindy March 30, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Hi Shiree, I had about twenty people at our birthday party (kids and adults), and I made two trifles. One in the dump truck and one in a pretty trifle bowl. We also had dinner first, but I had tons of leftovers. Of course, I just packed up the leftovers in tupperwares and sent them home with people… so it turned out okay. If you don’t mind, let me know it all turns out. It’s always good info to hear how far desserts stretch for people. Have a fun birthday party for your little one!