I recently attended a baby shower and this sandwich was served. It was amazing!! Everyone loved it and wanted the recipe and luckily our friend Robin the host was happy to share. I was very surprised that the delicious bread was the refrigerated french bread dough that comes in a canister. It was really good! I think the recipe would work well with a homemade baguette recipe too. I think the key is the olive oil and cheese sprinkled on top and that it is freshly baked! Fresh baked bread is so good! I used rotisserie chicken, although the recipe called for grilled chicken. Robin used the kettle cooked roast turkey breast you buy that are oval shaped and you cut yourself. That was fantastic too! Anyway, this sandwich is seriously DELICIOUS!! I have already made it several times for my family with rave reviews. It comes together so quick and tastes gourmet! Thanks Robin for a great recipe!
Seriously good Chicken Pesto Sandwich
Author: Melanie ~ www.thesisterscafe.com
- 2 pkgs refrigerated French Bread dough
- 2 Tb olive oil, divided
- 3 Tb grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, or use kettle cooked turkey breast or rotisserie chicken
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- ⅔ cups mayonnaise (I use Hellmans lite)
- ⅓ cup prepared basil pesto
- ¼ tsp Lemon Pepper seasoning
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
- Place dough, seam side down on a large baking stone or silpat covered cookie sheet. Use serrated knife to make 4 diagonal cuts, ½ in deep, on top of each. Using a pastry brush lightly brush dough with olive oil and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 26-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove bread to cooking rack and cool completely. If grilling the chicken heat grill to medium temperature. Brush chicken with 1 tsp of olive oil season lightly with salt and pepper. Slick bell peppers into ½ inch strips ant toss with remaining 1Tb of oil. Place chicken and bell pepper slices on grid of grill. Grill uncovered for 12-15 minutes turning as needed until chicken is cooked and bell peppers are tender. Remove from grill and cool slightly.
- **Robin did not grill chicken or peppers. She used the kettle cooked turkey breast and sauteed the peppers in a pan on the stove. It was great--so do whichever method you prefer.** Cut chicken into thin strips. Combine salad dressing, pesto and lemon pepper. To assemble sandwich, cut bread in half horizontally. Spread half of the presto mixture over cut side of bread bottom, cover with spinach leaves. Arrange chicken evenly over spinach; top with bell pepper strips. Spread remaining pesto mixture over bottom half. Cut each loaf into 4 sections. Enjoy!
- Serves 8.