Lindt Truffle Chocolate Cupcakes

by Mindy on February 10, 2011

I love love love Lindt Lindor Truffles.  Really, who doesn’t?  High quality, creamy, melt in your mouth chocolate.  Mmmm.  How can perfection be made any better?  Well, how about combining Lindt truffles with…

…chocolate cupcakes and cream cheese frosting!

The result?   The most amazing, out-of-this-world cupcake I have ever eaten. EVER.  And I am not the only one who thought so.  I made these for a family lunch following my baby’s blessing, and everyone in attendance gave rave reviews.  Even my mom, and she really isn’t a cake kind of girl.  So if you really want to wow your love this Valentine’s Day, I suggest you pick up the supplies and be ready to knock some socks off.  Why not wow your friends and family, too?  I mean, it does make a few cupcakes…  Thanks to my friend Brandi Fotheringham for introducing me to my newest love!

P.S.  I made the cupcakes the night before the blessing, and they were absolutely fabulous the next day.  But I did test one the night before when the chocolate was still kind of warm in the center of the cupcake, and it was wonderful, too.

P.P.S. I tried white chocolate and dark chocolate truffles, as well.  Not as good.  I think milk chocolate is definitely a must here.

Lindt Truffle Chocolate Cupcakes
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 box devils food cake
1 box instant vanilla pudding (small box)
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup sour cream
Milk chocolate Lindor truffles by Lindt ~ approximately 24

Unwrap milk chocolate Lindt truffles and place in a bowl for use later.  In a separate bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.  Bake at 350.  After five minutes, lightly press a Lindt truffle into each partially baked cupcake.  Let the cupcakes bake an additional 13 minutes (total of 18 minutes).  Cool completely, then frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese together, then add vanilla.  Slowly add powdered sugar.

1 Libby@CookingWithLibby February 10, 2011 at 6:45 am

Oh my goodness! Those sounds just yummy!! I was wondering how you mixed it in with the actual cupcake batter, but now I know ;) I'm going to bookmark these to make. Thanks for sharing ;)

2 Amy February 10, 2011 at 9:31 am

I was at the blessing and ate 2 of these babies (gasp) and they were absolutely DELICIOUS!! Super moist and the chocolate in the middle is seriously good. My husband isn't a big cake eater either and he thought these were amazing!

3 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe February 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

Oh my goodness, this is love at first site. I've got to try these. I bet they were gorgeous and delicious at the baby blessing. How fun. Wish I could have been there with you all!

4 Debbie February 10, 2011 at 9:47 am

So do you mix the lindt balls in the batter as well as put one in after the 5 minutes of baking?

5 Mindy February 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi Debbie,

No, you don't mix the balls in with the batter. You only press one into each chocolate cupcake while it is cooking. Does that make sense?

Hope you enjoy them!

Mindy

6 Matt February 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hey Mind! I noticed you put these amazing cupcakes on your blog and wanted to put in my two cents on how amazing they were. Thanks for making (so many of) them! Love you sis.

7 CJ February 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Okay these sound soooo good! Church potluck coming up and I might have to make these. Not a huge fan of cream cheese icing though, do you think a Vanilla or Buttercream would be okay or not?
Thanks for sharing.
I also want to make those Meyer Lemon Cupcakes!! OY!

8 CJ February 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I can see where some might be confused by the recipe. You say to unwrap the truffles put them in a bowl and then combine all ingredients and mix well. :S
Thinking it might be a bit lumpy though. :0

9 Mindy February 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Oh gosh. Thanks CJ. I can see where that could be confusing. I will change that on the recipe.

I think buttercream frosting would be very yummy. Vanilla might be good, too. Let me know what you think if you try it!

Mindy

10 CJ February 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm

NOW I am trying to figure out how to make sure the ADULTS get these cupcakes at the potluck rather than being taken by all the kids. To me the kids would like ANY cupcake but these would really be appreciated by the adults. Hmmmm, should I put a rating on them like "R" ???? :D

11 Heather of Kitchen Concoctions February 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Seriously how could these not be good with a Lindt Truffle center!

And I will totally be making the lemon cranberry cupcakes from yesterday too! since I have a bag of cranberries in my freezer that I need to use!

12 Brittany February 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm

wow these look amazing!!!!! i can't wait to try them. The only problem I see is unwrapping those delectable truffles too early… I might not have many left when it's time to use them! :)

13 Erin @ The Sisters Cafe February 10, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Ha! I loved CJ's last comment! I completely agree! When I bring something to a church potluck that the adults will appreciate but kids wouldn't, I sometimes wish I could say "Only for Adults!" on them! That is funny that I'm not the only one. :)

14 Lindt Chocolate February 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

These look delicious! Thank you for including Lindor truffles into this tasty mix.

15 Tina February 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Is that instant vanilla pudding or cook and serve. I am assuming instant. Clarify please.
Thanks

16 Mindy February 11, 2011 at 1:49 am

Dear Tina,

That is instant pudding! I changed the directions. Thanks for pointing that out.

CJ,

I agree with Erin. Your last comment cracked me up! I totally know what you mean about "wasting" good desserts on kids. :)

Mindy

17 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) February 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I think I died and went to heaven. We love Lindt truffles at our house. I think my kids are the only ones I know who get truffles in their school lunch boxes!

2 Kids and Tired Cooks

18 Peaceful Reader February 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oh,my-I adore Lindt truffles. These sound fabulous and relatively easy.

19 kidsmom February 12, 2011 at 8:37 am

WOW! These were amazing. I don't fancy cake all that much but WOW these were the bomb. Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely be making these again.

20 Mindy February 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

Kidsmom,

I am so happy you liked the cupcakes! I loved them so much that I have been excited to see other people's feedback. Thanks for letting me know!

Mindy

21 Denise February 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

These look great! Denise

22 Hazel February 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I am not a big cupcake person but I am a huge chocolate lover. Made these for the family and everyone loved them. Thanks for the recipe.

23 natalie T. February 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Your live feed for your rss feed isn't loading. It says to contact you to fix it.

24 Stan & Ash February 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Question when made these they all sunk in the middle…. What did I do wrong? Did I by push the truffle in far enOugh? Anyone else have tht happen?

25 Mindy February 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hi Stan & Ash,

The truffle melting can leave a small hole (air bubble in the cupcake). However, if the cupcake looked like it was sunk in the middle, I think you may have done one of two things. Either you didn't put enough batter into the cupcake liner, or as you guessed… you didn't push the truffle in far enough. This happened to a few of my cupcakes, as well. Although, once I got the frosting on… no one was the wiser! And it tasted just as good. Hope you enjoyed them anyway.

Mindy

26 Anonymous March 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

These are the BEST cupcakes EVER!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

27 Michelle OQ March 26, 2011 at 11:12 am

I made these last night and they are TO DIE FOR!! thank you for sharing this recipe! :)

28 Crystal April 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I have purchased lindor chocolates about 7 different times now in attempt to make these but they never made it to the cupcakes. Today I'm making them.

Has anyone tried them in a red velvet mix?

29 Erin Rose April 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

My intention in making this recipe was to surprise my Mom with them. But, when word got out that I was making them, Mom asked me to make a double batch to serve for Easter dessert tomorrow. We just made 2 batches. OH my goodness!!! These are amazing. And so easy to make! The frosting is so light and easy to spread. One recipe is almost enough for 2 batches of cupcakes. We have leftover frosting and have colored them pastal colors to use on other stuff for this weekend. Thanks! This is a HUGE hit!

30 Farmgirl April 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I made these cupcakes and they too fell in so I guess I must not have put the chocolate in deep enough but actually it worked just fine because I carefully pulled the cupcake wrapper off and where the cupcake was sunken in, I filled it with a nice round scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, now that is TO DIE FOR! So good! I will make these next weekend for mothers day! Awesome recipe!

31 Stef May 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm

These sound amazing! I am going to make peanut butter cream cheese Frosting for them.

32 mjfluke May 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

I am totally with Crystal – how does the chocolate make it into the cupcake? I love those chocolates!! I’ll have to develop some major self-discipline to try these.

33 darla May 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I tried these last week with german chocolate cake mix, cheesecake pudding mix and white chocolate truffles and they were great! Thanks for posting!

34 Colleen June 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I made a triple batch for a graduation open house and people were actually moaning as they ate them. Word spread quickly through the room: “You’ve got to try those cupcakes!” They were so moist and chocolatey!

35 Chloe June 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My parents made these while I was away for a while, so when I came back there was one cupcake saved for me, about 2 days old. Thinking it wasn’t going to be very good ( cake mix cupcakes usually turn out not so fabulous in my opinion) I put off eating it. But now, I don’t understabnd how I could. Because the minute I took a bite, I swear I died and went to heaven! BEST cupcakes EVER! Must have for any occasion. So now, when ever these delicacies are made, I’ll be sure not to hesitate when they’re in sight! :)

36 Mindy June 20, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Colleen,
I love that people were moaning! That’s how I feel when I eat them, too.

37 Mindy June 20, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Chloe,
Your story is so perfect. I still think I have died and went to heaven every time I eat these cupcakes. :) So glad your parents saved you one, and so glad you loved it!

38 Regina Williams June 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

These are the best cupcakes EVER!!!!! Oh my word, they were a HUGE hit with my family!! You MUST try them!!! Thanks for this recipe!!!

39 Cindy July 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I only have chocolate fudge cake mix on hand, and really want to make them. Do you think they will still taste as good?

40 Mindy July 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Cindy,
Sorry I am getting back to you so late. I was at Lake Powell with sketchy (and very slow) internet. So you have probably already made the cupcakes, but for what it’s worth I bet they would still be good. I have never tried it with fudge cake mix though, so let me know how it goes (or went).

41 Megan July 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm

These are awesome!!!!! Best cupcake I have ever had. I made them with the best ever vanilla frosting…..yum……..just be careful, that frosting is tricky. Thanks for an awesome recipe.

42 Brandy July 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

First off: DIVINE cupcakes!! I’ve made these twice in a week! I did a few modifications:

Natural applesauce instead of oil, Fage 0% Greek yogurt, and egg beaters.

These are the most moist cupcakes I have ever had! Rave reviews. Second time around I used a white chocolate frosting recipe that I liked a lot more on them than the cream cheese frosting.

I’m taking my second batch to a reunion tomorrow for a cooking contest. Hope they’re award winning!!! :)

43 Mindy July 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Brandy,
Thank you for telling me about your modifications. I love that you made it healthier,and it still turned out so well. I’ve had a few other people tell me that they have tried out different frosting recipes with great results. Does your white chocolate frosting recipe have the white chocolate melted into it? Sounds good! And I’m curious… did you win?! Lol.

44 Emily July 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

WOW! I made these for my birthday. This are so good, a little greasy on the bottom due to the melted chocolate but so worth it!

45 Mindy July 9, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Emily,
I’ve noticed the greasy bottom happens to me when I push the lindt balls in too deep. I have decided that I would rather risk the occasional crater in the center from not pushing the ball in deep enough to the greasy bottom from pushing them in to far. Honestly, I usually end up with at least a few of each every time I make these… and everyone, including me, still devours them! Glad you enjoyed these lindt cupcakes!

46 jennifer July 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This looks like an awesome recipe! I cannot wait to try! I am wondering,
What do you think of adding instant coffee to the water?

47 Janine December 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hi,
I have made these a couple of times and they are so good. One questions though, The chocolate ball ( and I have used the mint kisses for the minis) melt and sink to the bottom creating a layer of the candy on the bottom of the cupcake. Is this the way its supposed to go or is there something I am doing incorrectly? This is a fabulous site that I came upon quite by accident. Thanks.

48 Mindy December 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Hi Janine,

I’m so glad your liking our site!

I think you are pushing the Lindt ball in a little too far if the chocolate ends up at the bottom of the cupcake. Honestly, it is kind of a practice makes perfect thing. If you don’t push them in far enough, you get a crater on the top. If you push the truffle in too far, it ends up on the bottom of the liner. I end up with about 1/2 perfect and the other half either with a crater or on the bottom of the liner, and I’ve made these a million times now. :) I don’t worry about it too much though. They are good no matter what. I hope that helps!

Mindy

49 tobie March 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

my question is im going to make the truffle cupcakes. Its thursday and they are needed for a wedding shower on sunday. If I put them in the fridge iced will they turn out ok with the truffle inside will it still be creamy.

50 Mindy March 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Hi Toby,
I think the cupcakes would probably work best if you made the cupcakes and stored them outside the fridge for a couple of days. You could make the frosting ahead of time and store in the fridge in a tupperware. When you ready to frost the cupcakes, let the frosting come to room temperature. You can rewhip it in a stand mixer if you want. I think you could frost up to one day in advance. I hope they turn out for you!

51 Julie June 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow! I have made these cupcakes a handful of times and everyone raves about how fantastic they are! I got a special pan for putting things in the middle of cupcakes or muffins and using it is the only way I can make sure that all the truffles are right in the middle. But whether they sink to the bottom, are right in the middle or are too close to the top they are still delicious. I get requests for them from time to time. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

52 Mindy June 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

Okay Julie,
I am so curious about your special pan for putting things in the middle of cupcakes. I’ve never heard of that. What brand is it and where did you get it? I agree that the cupcakes are always amazing no matter where the truffle ends up. Glad you liked them!

53 kainat December 17, 2012 at 11:53 am

Hi i was wondering do i have to use the sour cream and the pudding in the cake mix or can i just use normal cake mix.Every time ive used sour cream my cupcakes seem to sink in the middle and im baking these for a new company potluck and i don’t want anything to go wrong
would it still work if i just used cake mix ?

54 Mindy March 6, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Kainat,
No these don’t work as well with a just a normal cake mix. The batter needs to be a little heavier to buoy up the truffle. Otherwise the truffle just sinks to the bottom and pools at the bottom of the cupcake.

55 Donna December 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I made them yesterday for a Christmas party and a lot of people liked them, I was a little bummed that the truffle kind of melts into the batter. I have another recipe that calls for mini peanut butter cups that need to be frozen before you put them in; has anyone ever tried freezing the truffles before putting them into the cupcakes? I might try this on Monday, as I am making more for Christmas day.

56 Mindy March 6, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Donna,
I have never tried freezing the truffles. I am kind of curious how they turned out. Did you ever try freezing them?

57 Tracy April 2, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I was just recently given this recipe by a friend and had to try it right away as I am a Lindt Chocolate RSVP Advisor and the truffles are my favorite. And it just so happens I had another friend that just recently told me about freezing mini candybars and baking them in cupcakes. Well, I tried that with the truffles. I unwrapped them and placed them in the freezer for about 2 hours. They came out amazing! No hole. You would not have to frost them if you didn’t want to and no one would know that there is a yummy surprise inside! I am going to frost mine however and can’t wait to taste them. (They smelled so good coming out of the oven.)

58 Mindy April 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Tracy,
Thank you for the feedback. I am really excited to try freezing the truffles before baking. Just curious, what is a “RSVP Advisor”? Anything that has to do with Lindt must be great, but I’ve never heard of that. (:

59 Tracy April 7, 2013 at 2:04 am

Lindt Chocolate R.S.V.P. is the direct selling (home party, etc.) division of the Lindt company in the US. Advisor is the term we use for representative or consultant. I took the cupcakes to work, and they got rave reviews! My youngest son (who also loved the cupcakes) has requested “neopolitan” cupcakes. So we are going to experiment with white cake, milk chocolate truffle, and strawberry frosting. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

60 Tracy May 5, 2013 at 12:04 am

The “neapolitan” cupcakes came out great! My son’s classmates loved them and some even asked for the recipe. You know it has to be good if 9/10 year olds want the recipe so their moms can make it!

61 Julie February 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Love your site! I have wanted to make these for a while now. I am making them for a baby shower and I am so excited.

Question: When you push them into the batter, are they supposed to disappear? (Like the batter will cover the top of the truffle?

Thanks!

62 Mindy March 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I push the truffles mostly into the batter with just the tops poking out. Usually as it bakes, the batter covers it up the rest of the way, but there are always a few that don’t and you get a little hole on top. No one is the wiser once the frosting is on! And I still think it is worth those few with the holes on top, because if you push the truffles in too deep then they melt and pool at the bottom of the cupcake. But seriously, it tastes awesome no matter what. So don’t worry if you push it down too far or not far enough. (:

63 Roxy February 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hi just wondering if I could substitute the devil’s food cake mix with chocolate mix? Where I live, devil’s food cake mix is not available in stores.

64 Mindy March 6, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I’ve never tried it with another kind of cake mix, Roxy, but I bet it would be okay.

65 matthew March 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

i look fowerd to making dem.

66 Kathleen July 25, 2013 at 7:00 am

These sound wonderful. Just two questions, if you are making them the night before do you refrigerate them? Do you put the icing on the night before or the day of?

67 Deanna March 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm

These are seriously the BEST cupcakes ever ever ever! They’re so moist and continue being moist days after you’ve made them! After I discovered this recipe we make them all the time. .. Any get together or function and these are perfect. If you are a chocolate lover you definitely want to add these into your life. ..lol

68 Deanna March 11, 2014 at 9:00 pm

69 Kathy April 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Made these last night. Frosted them with butter cream frosting. They were so easy to make and delicious. I did unforutnately put the truffle in too deep and the bottom of the cupcakes were greasy. I will definately make them again. Everyone loved them. My son liked them better without frosting.

70 Kathy April 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm