German Chocolate Cake Frosting

Mom made German Chocolate cake all the time growing up. It was one of our Dad’s favorites. The recipe she uses is one of her mothers’. It is so rich and flavorful – mmmm. Making German Chocolate cake frosting from scratch makes a world of difference! If all you have tasted is the canned stuff, then you have got to try this out. It is easy, too. (I have to add, I was in a hurry the night I made this cake. I didn’t give the frosting time to thicken up as much as usual and everything was not completely cooled, hence the slightly runny frosting. Sorry guys! Not the best picture but it still tasted sublime!)

German Chocolate Cake Frosting

submitted by Brittany ~ The Sister’s Cafe

1 cup milk or cream (I like to use a combination of both)

1 cup sugar

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups coconut

1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped

Combine cream, sugar, egg yolks, and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until thickens, 3-5 minutes.

Add vanilla, coconut and chopped nuts. Let it cool completely before icing cake. Makes enough for middle and top of 2 layer, 9-inch round cake.

Comments

1. Angie says

My daughters could have easily been the author of your post. :) My husband (their dad) LOVES German Chocolate Cake and I, too, have made it a lot over the past 26years! I have an "heirloom" German Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Icing recipe also. And you are so right, the tub icing doesn't even begin to hold water to the "real thing", nor does the cake mix hold up to the made from scratch German Chocolate Cake.

By the way…LOVE your blog!! I have used several of your recipes and they have become some favorites (especially the Dr. Pepper Cake) :)

2. Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says

I love German Chocolate Cake! I actually recently made a huge homemade German Chocolate Cake for my friend's wedding as the groom's cake. It was a huge hit!

3. Mindy says

oh YUM! I love this frosting, too. I think our whole family does. This german chocolate cake is Matt and Dad's favorite, and it is definitely up there for Griff and I! And I totally agree that homemade tastes a million times better than store bought. Thanks for posting, sis!

4. stephanie says

This is Mike's favorite—I've made this homemade frosting for him for his birthday every year that I can remember. I can vouch for saying this frosting really makes the cake!

5. Libby@CookingWithLibby.com says

Yummmm! This is how we make our frosting for the German Chocolate Cake that we make :) It's so good ;)

6. Luke and Andrea says

Dear Sister's Cafe,

May I make a request? I haven't seen any recipes for No-Bake Cookies, and I was wondering if any of you have made them and know a good recipe? If you post one I'd be truly grateful.

Sincerely,

Andrea

• says

2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup margarine,1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup milk, 4 Tablespoons cocoa
      Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
      Add 3 cups quick oats, 1/2cup peanut butter, 1teaspoon vanilla.
      Drop by teaspoon on wax Ed paper. Let col.
      Enjoy!

7. Brittany says

Hi Andrea – i don't have a no bake cookie recipe, sorry! In fact I have never made them! :) But I will ask my sisters if they have!!

8. Kim says

Any chance you will post the yummy cake recipe along with this frosting??? I really need a good German Choco Cake recipe!

9. Lori Hagemann says

I was wondering if this would keep in the fridge for a little while, or do I have to use all of it right away. I thought it could be a great vanilla ice cream topper, yum :)

I just saw something about this on television. It talked the same
    things you wrote about.
    I go to university in Canada and we just learned about this in the classroom.

Thanks for helping me with the conclusion of my report.

Thanks for the outline of television stuff.
    I absolutely think that cable tv is going to go away.
    Or at least have to change with the times.

Internet television is definitely the wave of the
    future. As broadband speeds get faster, people will be watching their tv shows on
    sites like this.
    What do you know about this? I don’t think there’s a lot more to the concept
    I was just watching this on TV yesterday. They talked about the same things you wrote about.

Feel free to surf to my web site … stream live game (Andreas)