Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon French Toast

My husband is seriously in love with Kneaders french toast. I mean, he wakes up on Saturday mornings craving it. Since this french toast is heaven in your mouth but not to your waist line, we reserve our breakfast outings for special occasions. And then… well, it is definitely worth the extra calories. :) For my husband’s birthday this year, I decided to try to make it for him at home. I googled the recipe and voila! Kneaders divulged the recipe on Good Things Utah in 2005. So this is the real deal. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon French Toast
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 loaf Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon Bread cut in 8 slices (You can substitute this recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Bread – but leave out the raisins. Or you could use any store bought cinnamon swirl bread)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter

Butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish generously. Place the bread flat in the baking dish. Mix all remaining ingredients, reserving the butter and pour over the bread.  (Update: I actually don’t pour over the bread anymore.  It works out better to dip the bread thoroughly in the egg mixture, then place flat in the baking dish – too eggy the other way.)   Cut butter into pieces and dot over the top. Refrigerate over night or at least one hour (I think an hour is plenty, and if you still decide to pour the egg mixture over the top, you do not need all of it). Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 8.

Kneaders Caramel Syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup creme (I asked the worker at Kneaders, and he confirmed that this is heavy whipping cream.)
1 cup light Karo syrup
Blend together and heat on stove top until sugar is smooth. Serve warm.

Comments

1. Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says

I am another one who has never herd of Kneaders but this French Toast with Carmel Syrup sounds divine!

2. Erik says

For those of us who don't live near a Kneaders (Oregon), what is it about this bread that makes it 'chunky'? I'm trying to figure out how we could duplicate this without that particular bread – which may include making my own 'chunky' bread.

3. Mindy says

appetersen,

Thank you for the link to your chunky monkey bread! I'll bet it would be super yummy in this recipe.

For everyone else,
    Kneaders is a bakery cafe. So good. You could use any homemade cinnamon swirl bread or store bought cinnamon swirl bread in place of the Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon Bread. I'll go back and include a link in the recipe!

Hope you enjoy!

Mindy

4. Kneady Sweetie says

Oh my goodness I can not even begin to express my excitement about this recipe!!! I have always LOVED Kneaders french toast and have even tried my hand at figuring out how they make it with only moderate success. I will definitely have to try this recipe!

5. Kylie Ryann says

I lived in Provo for a year and a half and just recently moved back to Arizona and I miss Kneaders so much! They are literally famous for their french toast… I am bookmarking this recipe to make!!

6. Amy B. says

So I have been making a caramel syrup to go on our waffles for years and it is a genius combo with strawberries and whipped cream…recipe:

1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 Tbsp. flour
    1 stick butter
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup whipping cream

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Maintain boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp. vanilla. Cool and enjoy!

7. Bert and Benton says

Kneaders is my FAVORITE!!! I sure miss it since I'm no where near one any more, but this is fantastic! I acutally googled it a couple weeks ago and glad to see this is the same one. Can't wait to make this!

8. Mindy says

Amy B,

Thanks for the recipe for the carmel syrup. Even though the Kneaders syrup is awesome, I admit I am not a big fan of karo syrup, so it will be nice to have an alternative!

Mindy

9. Loie's Family says

If you have a Great Harvest in your ares, we use their cinnamon burst bread for our french toast! It's amazing!

10. Mindy says

Dear Loie's Family,

I totally agree with you. That cinnamon burst bread is like candy. And in french toast it really is amazing! Your making me want to go get some ASAP. :)

Mindy

11. brittani c. says

Mind, this looked soooo good on your blog. I'm so glad you posted the recipe on the Sisters Cafe. We love breakfasts and new breakfast foods are so fun to try out.

12. Mike and Emily says

I tried this recipe, and my bread came out more like scrambled eggs. The ends were cooked fully through, but the pieces in the middle were a soggy, egg-like mixture. I cooked them for over an hour, and didn't use all of the egg mixture. Any tips or ideas?
    Thanks for all of the great recipes.

13. Melanie Anne says

I made this recipe last weekend for my son's birthday. It was a HUGE hit!! Everybody loved it! I made my own cinnamon swirl bread the day before and I cut it super thick–like at least double what a normal slice is. I wonder if that would help with the problem Mike and Emily experienced above? Mine turned out fantastic! Thanks Mindy!!

14. Mindy says

Mike and Emily,

There are a few things I can think of that may have gone wrong. Maybe your bread wasn't sliced thick enough? Maybe you used too much egg mixture? Or maybe it was that the bread sat in too much egg mixture too long? I was seriously tempted to cut down the egg mixture when I posted this recipe, but I didn't want to change the "authentic" recipe. Still, I think I threw out at least a third of it.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you try it again and figure out the solution.

Mindy

15. Kim says

Mindy,
    I found some cinnamon swirl bread that is sliced thicker than normal bread but not as thick as what you find at Kneaders. Do you think it would still work with thinner bread? I am planning on cutting down the egg mixture and maybe just letting it sit for an hour.

Thanks

Kim… With the holiday craziness, I didn’t notice your comment until today. I’m sorry! I’ll bet the thinner bread turned out just fine if you cut down the egg mixture. If you bought the bread in the bakery of a grocery store, I’ve found that you can request that it not be cut so you can do it to your desired thickness at home later. It would require planning ahead though… Anyway, hope it worked out! Mindy

17. Wendy says

I had the same problem as Mike and Emily using the original recipe directly from Kneaders which reads: “Mix all remaining ingredients, reserving the butter and pour over the bread.” A friend gave me these tips: You just need a “Quick dip” in the egg mixture. DON’T POUR ON ALL OF IT AND LEAVE IT. Discard the rest. It also helps if you can lay the slices as flat as possible in the pan. She uses 2 loaves sliced into 6 slices each. All 12 slices fit flat on a cookie sheet if you crowd them pretty tight. Hope this helps!

18. Mindy says

Hi Wendy,
    Your comment was inspired. I have made this recipe lots of times now, and I agree that you definitely shouldn’t pour the egg mixture on top. It is way better dipped. I am officially changing the directions today. Thanks for the reminder! :)

19. Chelsey McFarland says

yay! i am ADDICTED to kneader’s french toast! can’t wait to try this out tomorrow! when you refrigerate the bread does it need to be covered?

Having recently moved to Utah, I went to Kneaders for the first time 2 weeks ago. I ABSOLUTELY loved it, and I can see what all the hype is about! I am going to make your recipe this Saturday for my husband and I. I cannot wait, Thank you much!

Trackbacks