Oatmeal Coconut Chewies

by Mindy on May 19, 2011

L.O.V.E. these cookies. I am a serious coconut lover and my hubbie is a huge oatmeal cookie guy.  So when I found these babies on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, I knew it was meant to be.  And oh, I was not disappointed!  I have made these twice in the last ten days alone.  And sadly, I only gave away a measly eight cookies… we ate the rest!  I told you they were good!  100% chewy bliss.  Bet you can’t eat just one either!

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies
Submitted by Mindy ~ www.thesisterscafe.com

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to cool room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour (I have added an extra 1/2 cup of flour, and it makes them slightly puffier – well, less flat anyway – at my altitude)
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup quick oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl cream together the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or lined (silpat or parchment) baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set but not overly browned (bake a few minutes longer for a crispier version).

1 brittany May 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm

that is so funny because I found this recipe just yesterday and was wanting to try it!!! It looks really good. Now that I know you loved them, I will for sure try them out!

2 Melanie May 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Love your picture, Mindy! These are a huge hit around our house, too.

3 Kelly May 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm

My husband and I are Coconut lovers too, and I have made these several times!! They are amazing. Thanks to you guys, I will never use maple syrup again! I only will eat coconut syrup! I love it. I found a recipe for Coconut macadamia french toast on Fav Famil recipes.com and I want to try it with the Coconut syrup! Love your recipes!

4 Nicole May 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

this is the perfect post for my birthday, b/c these are my absolute very favorite cookies!!!! Easy, fast, perfect, chewy deliciousness. This is coming from a confessed cookie monster. I try to reduce the guilt of making them so often and eating more than my kids shares by using 100%whole wheat, and using a tad less sugar. The ww acually improves the taste, which may seem hard to imagine in such a perfect food. MAKE THESE.

5 Pauline May 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’m going to make these for my husband’s office, but I need to make A BUNCH!!!! About how many cookies did you get out of this recipe so I can figure out to triple, quadruple, etc the recipe. Thanks!

6 Mindy May 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi Pauline,

I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. This recipe makes about 3 dozen plus cookies. Hope your husband’s office likes them!

Mindy

7 Pauline May 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

Me again. These came out great. I ended up making 3 batches (about 4 dozen each batch, 20 grams per cookie). The last batch I added 5 oz of Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips. I think these may be regional, as I have bought them in PA and MN, but you cannot find them in the South. The Cinnamon Chips took these over the top. If you’re in an area where you can find them, put ‘em in! Holy smokes, these are good!

8 Mindy May 30, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Pauline, I’m so glad the cookies turned out for you. Thanks for the tip…I am definitely going to try these babies with the cinnamon chips. Don’t you just think they the most versatile cookies?

9 Elsa August 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

These cookies are delicious. Next time I’d add more flour or oats, though. They turned out too flat. I added an extra 2 tbsp of flour. Next time I’d go ahead and add the extra 1/2 cup mentioned in the recipe even though my altitude .is only about 2300 ft.

10 Sara-Lynn August 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The first time I made these they were really cakey and I knew I most have done something wrong. Then I checked the recipe more carefully. I didn’t see the 1 cup of sugar at the top because of the space between it and the brown sugar. I can’t believe I missed it. Anyway they were great the second time around!