Before I get to the amazing cake…I want to announce the winner of the Gathering of Friends Cookbook set! I am so sorry that I couldn’t post it yesterday as promised. My area was hit by the tornados (I posted a couple of shots here that were just a mile or two from us). My family and home are fine but the phone lines and internet have been out for almost a week. As of late last night we had interenet back up, yeah:) With our recent move to this new .com site some of the entries (comments) from the original post did not all transfer, but I want you to know that they were not lost! I used random.org to come up with the winning number and then I painstakingly counted from the start of the comments on our old blogger site to locate the winner. And the lucky winner is…
CAROL ANN who said:
I would love these books so much! They are beautful and I know I would use them all the time in preparing gatherings for my family and friends. Thank you for this opportunity sisters! I love love love your site and use it all the time!! Thank you!
Congratulations Carol! Email me at email@example.com with your address and I will get these right out to you! For those of you who did not win, there is still a great special going on at the Gathering Of Friends website of Buy 3 get 1 Free. The perfect offer for a Mothers Day gifts, Birthday gift or even wedding gift. Or pair up with a friend or sister and you can each get two and save a little money while you are at it! These cookbooks really are worth every penny! I love them and would recommend them for anyone:)
And now for another recommendation…this cake is pretty and incredibly delicious, I promise:)
I made this cake for our Easter dinner dessert and it turned out divine! I thought it turned out beautiful and hoped it tasted as good as it looked:) Luckily, I am happy to report it tasted divine! The almond flavor in the cake and glaze was incredible paired with the whipped cream and strawberries! Yum! All our dinner guests loved it and ate every last morsel on their plate! I think this may be the only strawberry shortcake I ever make. It was gorgeous, easy to make and tasted FANTASTIC! Ever since I made it I have been excited to share it with all of you! I think this would make the perfect dessert for a special occasion, like Mothers Day :), or any occasion you want to celebrate someone special!
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 small vanilla pudding mix
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 pint whipping cream
- powdered sugar to sweeten
- 1-2 pounds of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tb butter, melted
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 Tb milk, if needed
- Mix all the above ingredients together for a few minutes until well combined.
- Pour the batter into 2 round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, depending on your oven--DON"T OVERCOOK!!
- Let cool for a few minutes and then gently remove from pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together while the cake cools.
- Once semi cooled, prick the cake with a large fork or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Spoon the glaze over the two round cakes letting it sink in.
- Save about ⅓ or so of the glaze and set aside.
- Whip cream with 2 Tb powdered sugar, using a mixer.
- Wash dry and slice the starwberries and set aside.
- Place one of the glazed cake rounds on a cake stand or large plate.
- Top with freshly whipped cream and a layer of strawberry slices.
- Follow with the second cake, more whipped cream and arrange more fresh sliced strawberries on top in a pretty pattern.
- Next drizzle the more of the almond glaze over the top and down the sides.
- Store in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!