4th of July Strawberries

by Mindy on June 30, 2011

Aren’t these strawberries so cute?  The fourth of July is such a fun holiday with barbecues, family and friends, and lots of parties. So creating great food for it is a blast!  I love holiday themed food.  And apparently my two year old does, too.  He insisted on sitting practically on top of the plate while I took pictures of these little beauties.  As I was snapping away on a close-up, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye… I pulled away from the camera just in time to see a strawberry make its way back to the plate with one small bite gone!  It was so cute I had to laugh.  And by the time I was done with my “photo shoot” there was another strawberry missing a chunk from it’s middle and yet another that had gotten a good lick.  As I was laughing at my two year old and my failure to save the strawberries from little hands, I was reminded that this is what it is all about!  All the sisters love to cook, but what we really love the most about it is the way it brings our family together.  Have a fabulous 4th of July!!

4th of July Strawberries
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

Strawberries, washed and dried
White chocolate
Blue sugar, edible glitter, or sprinkles (blue sugar is shown in the picture)

Place blue sugar in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for two minutes.  Stir until the bowl is no longer warm.  Then microwave for 30 second intervals at 50% power, stirring after each, until the chocolate is completely melted. Dip the lower two thirds of the strawberries in the melted white chocolate.  Then, dip the lower third of the strawberries in the blue sugar or spoon it onto the strawberry.  Place on wax paper or Silpat until completely cool.
Recipe source: here, here and here

1 Amy Sterzer June 30, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wow Mindy those are adorable!! What a refreshing treat on a hot 4th of July!

2 momwithkids May 9, 2014 at 9:26 pm

These are absolutely adorable, I love strawberries. One woman in our dieting group lost 30 pounds with raspberries and strawberries. Here http://recipetoloseweight.blogspot.com/2014/05/women-diet-and-loss-of-30-pounds-with.html

3 Brittany June 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

what a FUN and totally festive treat!!! I can’t wait to try them out for our bbq this morning. I laughed when you told about Jack licking and biting those strawberries! Your right, that IS what it’s about! Those are the memories that stick! :)

4 redkathy July 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Oh my gosh these are adorable! Such an easy way to serve up fresh holiday fruits, thanks for sharing this.

5 Kristi Rimkus July 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Perfect for the 4th, and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love dipped strawberries!

6 Ali July 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Sooooooo Cute! What a great idea!

7 Tiffany July 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Made these for the 4th an can I just say they were a HUGE hit!!!! I’m already planning another batch:)

8 Mindy July 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I’m so glad these turned out so well for you, Tiffany! I’m already excited to make these again next year… that is if I can wait. haha.

9 Kristine July 2, 2013 at 10:05 am

These are fantastic because you can really make them for any holiday if strawberries are in season where you live. I’m ready to use dark chocolate and orange sugar for some easy Halloween bites =D

10 Samantha reynolds December 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

Neat idea

11 Patti B. January 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Make these every year. Blue edible glitter from a cake/baking supply store make these even prettier!

12 Janet B February 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

These look so festive & who is going to say “no thanks” to dipped strawberries? I’m going to bounce off of your idea and do a St. Patty’s version, but I’m even more excited to do a Easter egg version. Doesn’t that sound great? Oh ya!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

13 Mindy February 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Janet, sounds like you’ve got a great idea (well, ideas!). I’ll bet they’ll be adorable!

14 Robin Hagaman March 19, 2012 at 12:59 am

What KIND or brand of white chocolate did you use???!!! I made these but the chocolate was all yucky and the hotter it got, the harder it was to use! =(

15 Mindy March 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hi Robin,
I used Guittard white chocolate chips. Did you melt your chocolate in a double boiler or on 50% power until it was melted? I’ve found that chocolate chips melt into a thicker consistency than melting candies. I used both for strawberries, and while I prefer chips… I think the melting candies work fine.

16 victoria Hrudka April 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Check out the my site for up coming Lauch of Velata May 1 for the new chocolate fongue Warmer and the chocolate variety of flavors… This will be a hit for summer parties for every one…..Unlimited is the word See you later and any question please contact me soon because time is flying by Fast.
sincerly , Vicki

17 Beth April 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

That is way cool I have to try that

18 Jo April 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This is a really fun idea! Here in the UK this summer we have the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen to look forward to. All over the country there are going to be street parties and community picnics held to celebrate. I am going to make some of these to share – thank for the inspiration!

19 yeni May 14, 2012 at 7:49 pm

These are a great idea, and I’ll be making them for the 4th this year! One thing to note, your instructions are missing the part about dipping the strawberries in the melted white chocolate.

20 Mindy May 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Yeni,
Thanks for the heads up! I fixed the recipe. Can’t believe I didn’t notice that earlier.

21 Joan May 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Love the red white & blue strawberrie’s- will make them 4 4th!

22 Jen May 25, 2012 at 10:33 am

These are adorable and so simple to make! Do you think you could make them 2 days ahead of time or will they not stay fresh??

23 Mindy May 26, 2012 at 12:07 am

Jen, I have never had good luck with refrigerating chocolate covered strawberries. They start weeping and getting weird. I always make them the day of. They can be refrigerated for a few hours the day of, but I would do them as close to the party time as possible!

24 Ronnie June 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Wow, this looks really patriotic and easy to make!

25 Angell @ Passionate and Creative Homemaking June 15, 2012 at 10:38 am
26 Elp June 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Where do u get blue sugar?

27 Mindy June 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Elp,
You can buy blue sugar at most grocery stores near the sprinkles/cake mixes/cake decorating supplies. You usually have to go somewhere like Hobby Lobby or Orson Gygi to get the edible blue glitter if you would prefer to do that. You can also buy both on online at sites like amazon.com.

28 anonymous July 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

It is also very easy to just dye the sugar blue. This link says how

29 Kelsey Keller June 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Where do you get blue sugar?Or how to do make the sure blue? At first I thought it was blue Pop Rocks :)

30 Kerianny June 24, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Blue pop rocks would really add some fireworks to the recipe!!

31 Susan June 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Love the pop rocks idea very appropriate for the 4th. The surprised looks on faces would be fun to watch.

32 Malorie June 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE these!!! Made them for 2 events and they were such a hit!

33 Sue July 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Love these! Planning to make them for our 4th of July celebration, they sound delicious! I think they’ll be a big hit!

34 Marcie July 3, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I tried this just tonight white Nestle Toll House premier white morsels and it was a fail :(
First I tried in the microwave as directed. Then I tried them in the double broil (a new cup of them) and with and without vegetable oil as directed. All were a fail. I’m so sad. I guess white chocolate bark???

35 Mindy {The Sisters Cafe} July 3, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Marcie,
I am not sure what went wrong! it is really important to microwave on 50% power. Did you do that? then stir until the bowl isn’t warm anymore. Then only microwave at 50% power for 30 second intervals. I don’t love Nestle white chocolate, but I’ve used the chips lots of times with good results. Guittard is my favorite, though it melts to a thicker consistency. Almond bark melts really easily and is a super thin consistency. I hope you try again, and it works out better next time. These strawberries are the best!

36 gayle July 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Made 2#, they are SO cute, and tasty!! thanks for the idea :)

37 Kelly July 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I also used the Nestlé white chocolate chips and the consistency of the mix turned out WAY to thick. The coat actually fell off the strawberry :( Maybe add some vegetable oil to the mix? I’m not sure but I followed the instructions and mine weren’t that great either…

38 anonymous July 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm

For melting the white chocolate, it was very difficult. Instead of heating the chocolate for two minutes on 50% heat , heat it for 1 minute on 4o% heat. The morsels will look like they are not done, but if you mix it with a wooden spoon they will be fine.To cover, Put a dollop of chocolate onto wooden spoon and twirl the strawberry on its side. All other methods failed prior to this one.

39 anonymous July 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Also, instead of buying blue sugar or crystal, i found it easiest to dye sugar blue. To dye the sugar all you do is put the sugar in a ziploc or plastic baggie, add food coloring to the inside wall of the bag, mix-smudge the food coloring on bag, then mix the sugar and dye together. Add more color if desired the same way.

40 Immigration Advice in maidstone March 4, 2013 at 5:59 am

I’m not sure why but this web site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check
back later and see if the problem still exists.

Here is my webpage – Immigration Advice in maidstone

41 Immigration Advicers in Barking March 4, 2013 at 6:05 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful info to work on. You’ve done
an impressive task and our entire community will likely be
thankful to you.

42 cars June 6, 2013 at 7:45 pm

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way in all situations in life.

Buying a car is no different! That means you need to read advice from experts,
as detailed below, to ensure that when you shop for that
car, you really know what you’re doing and how to get the best deal.

43 kmtcapecod June 24, 2013 at 11:06 am

Who doesn’t love white chocolate dipped strawberries?!!! I know I do! Thanks so much for sharing this posting. I can’t wait to add a sweet twist to strawberries on the 4th. I just posted this recipe with a link to your site on my blog today. Please be sure to stop by. Here is the link: http://bellabargains.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/july-4th-recipes/

Happy 4th of July!

44 Niecey June 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

Fantastic idea…. Gunna do this for this coming 4th of July! I love to bake and try new things….thk u for posting this for us n a great pix too. Well done :-)

45 JoJo June 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I made these last night and they are yummy but I did encounter some trouble melting in the microwave, and b/c I didn’t have wax paper I put the berries on a plate and they all stuck to the plate!

46 Delilah Beaner July 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Too cute.

47 Sami June 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I love these and can’t wait to make them for the 4th of July party we are going to. Thanks for a great recipe!

48 Renee Cagle June 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I’m going to try these but I’m going to use whipped cream I don’t care for white chocolate I hope I get the same result

49 Paula June 21, 2014 at 10:41 pm

My daughter’s birthday is on Flag day. This will be a fun project next year.

50 Tricia June 22, 2014 at 12:26 am

I tried using white chocolate chips to dip the strawberries in and was having a hard time keeping the chocolate melted enough! My Grandmother told me to use a little karosyrup or a very small amount of Crisco in the chips and both ways worked great! Just thought I would put that out there so maybe it would be useful to someone!

51 Shannon June 25, 2014 at 12:14 am

Def going to try this for my 2 and a half year old :) awesome!!!

52 Anniekin June 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm

OMG! Totes adorbs!

53 Aslan Balaur June 30, 2014 at 11:25 am

You could also tint some of the white chocolate blue with some simple food color and to a second dip that leaves some of the white showing. Sticks better than the sugar, and less calories, less overly-sweet.

54 Aslan Balaur June 30, 2014 at 11:27 am

55 cheri July 4, 2014 at 6:35 am

We are making these today!! So adorably yummy looking! And the kids will love them! Thanks!!

56 Lisa July 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

These were super fast and easy to make. I’m not good at melting chocolate, ever, but after I got the melting down, they were a snap to make. They look so cute! i can’t wait to put these out today.