4th of July Strawberries

Aren’t these strawberries so cute?  The fourth of July is such a fun holiday with barbecues, family and friends, and lots of parties. So creating great food for it is a blast!  I love holiday themed food.  And apparently my two year old does, too.  He insisted on sitting practically on top of the plate while I took pictures of these little beauties.  As I was snapping away on a close-up, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye… I pulled away from the camera just in time to see a strawberry make its way back to the plate with one small bite gone!  It was so cute I had to laugh.  And by the time I was done with my “photo shoot” there was another strawberry missing a chunk from it’s middle and yet another that had gotten a good lick.  As I was laughing at my two year old and my failure to save the strawberries from little hands, I was reminded that this is what it is all about!  All the sisters love to cook, but what we really love the most about it is the way it brings our family together.  Have a fabulous 4th of July!!

4th of July Strawberries
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

Strawberries, washed and dried
White chocolate
Blue sugar, edible glitter, or sprinkles (blue sugar is shown in the picture)

Place blue sugar in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for two minutes.  Stir until the bowl is no longer warm.  Then microwave for 30 second intervals at 50% power, stirring after each, until the chocolate is completely melted. Dip the lower two thirds of the strawberries in the melted white chocolate.  Then, dip the lower third of the strawberries in the blue sugar or spoon it onto the strawberry.  Place on wax paper or Silpat until completely cool.
Recipe source: here, here and here

Comments

1. Brittany says

what a FUN and totally festive treat!!! I can’t wait to try them out for our bbq this morning. I laughed when you told about Jack licking and biting those strawberries! Your right, that IS what it’s about! Those are the memories that stick! :)

2. Tiffany says

Made these for the 4th an can I just say they were a HUGE hit!!!! I’m already planning another batch:)

• says

I’m so glad these turned out so well for you, Tiffany! I’m already excited to make these again next year… that is if I can wait. haha.

• Kristine says

These are fantastic because you can really make them for any holiday if strawberries are in season where you live. I’m ready to use dark chocolate and orange sugar for some easy Halloween bites =D

3. Janet B says

These look so festive & who is going to say “no thanks” to dipped strawberries? I’m going to bounce off of your idea and do a St. Patty’s version, but I’m even more excited to do a Easter egg version. Doesn’t that sound great? Oh ya!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

• says

Hi Robin,
      I used Guittard white chocolate chips. Did you melt your chocolate in a double boiler or on 50% power until it was melted? I’ve found that chocolate chips melt into a thicker consistency than melting candies. I used both for strawberries, and while I prefer chips… I think the melting candies work fine.

Check out the my site for up coming Lauch of Velata May 1 for the new chocolate fongue Warmer and the chocolate variety of flavors… This will be a hit for summer parties for every one…..Unlimited is the word See you later and any question please contact me soon because time is flying by Fast.
    sincerly , Vicki

5. Jo says

This is a really fun idea! Here in the UK this summer we have the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen to look forward to. All over the country there are going to be street parties and community picnics held to celebrate. I am going to make some of these to share – thank for the inspiration!

6. yeni says

These are a great idea, and I’ll be making them for the 4th this year! One thing to note, your instructions are missing the part about dipping the strawberries in the melted white chocolate.

7. Jen says

These are adorable and so simple to make! Do you think you could make them 2 days ahead of time or will they not stay fresh??

• Mindy says

Jen, I have never had good luck with refrigerating chocolate covered strawberries. They start weeping and getting weird. I always make them the day of. They can be refrigerated for a few hours the day of, but I would do them as close to the party time as possible!

8. Kelsey Keller says

Where do you get blue sugar?Or how to do make the sure blue? At first I thought it was blue Pop Rocks :)

Love these! Planning to make them for our 4th of July celebration, they sound delicious! I think they’ll be a big hit!

10. Marcie says

I tried this just tonight white Nestle Toll House premier white morsels and it was a fail :(
    First I tried in the microwave as directed. Then I tried them in the double broil (a new cup of them) and with and without vegetable oil as directed. All were a fail. I’m so sad. I guess white chocolate bark???

• says

Marcie,
      I am not sure what went wrong! it is really important to microwave on 50% power. Did you do that? then stir until the bowl isn’t warm anymore. Then only microwave at 50% power for 30 second intervals. I don’t love Nestle white chocolate, but I’ve used the chips lots of times with good results. Guittard is my favorite, though it melts to a thicker consistency. Almond bark melts really easily and is a super thin consistency. I hope you try again, and it works out better next time. These strawberries are the best!

11. Kelly says

I also used the Nestlé white chocolate chips and the consistency of the mix turned out WAY to thick. The coat actually fell off the strawberry :( Maybe add some vegetable oil to the mix? I’m not sure but I followed the instructions and mine weren’t that great either…

12. anonymous says

For melting the white chocolate, it was very difficult. Instead of heating the chocolate for two minutes on 50% heat , heat it for 1 minute on 4o% heat. The morsels will look like they are not done, but if you mix it with a wooden spoon they will be fine.To cover, Put a dollop of chocolate onto wooden spoon and twirl the strawberry on its side. All other methods failed prior to this one.

13. anonymous says

Also, instead of buying blue sugar or crystal, i found it easiest to dye sugar blue. To dye the sugar all you do is put the sugar in a ziploc or plastic baggie, add food coloring to the inside wall of the bag, mix-smudge the food coloring on bag, then mix the sugar and dye together. Add more color if desired the same way.

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way in all situations in life.

Buying a car is no different! That means you need to read advice from experts,
    as detailed below, to ensure that when you shop for that
    car, you really know what you’re doing and how to get the best deal.

15. Niecey says

Fantastic idea…. Gunna do this for this coming 4th of July! I love to bake and try new things….thk u for posting this for us n a great pix too. Well done :-)

16. JoJo says

I made these last night and they are yummy but I did encounter some trouble melting in the microwave, and b/c I didn’t have wax paper I put the berries on a plate and they all stuck to the plate!

17. Renee Cagle says

I’m going to try these but I’m going to use whipped cream I don’t care for white chocolate I hope I get the same result

18. Tricia says

I tried using white chocolate chips to dip the strawberries in and was having a hard time keeping the chocolate melted enough! My Grandmother told me to use a little karosyrup or a very small amount of Crisco in the chips and both ways worked great! Just thought I would put that out there so maybe it would be useful to someone!

19. Aslan Balaur says

You could also tint some of the white chocolate blue with some simple food color and to a second dip that leaves some of the white showing. Sticks better than the sugar, and less calories, less overly-sweet.

20. Aslan Balaur says

21. Lisa says

These were super fast and easy to make. I’m not good at melting chocolate, ever, but after I got the melting down, they were a snap to make. They look so cute! i can’t wait to put these out today.

Trackbacks