Layered Drinks

Layered Drinks
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

There is only one word for layered drinks — FUN!  Kids are crazy about these, and every adult I’ve served layered drinks to has loved them, too.  Plus, you know me… I love easy, quick ways to make special occasions even more special.  I featured a red, white and blue drink for the Fourth of July, but these drinks are great for baby showers, birthday parties, summer barbecues… you name it!  Have fun and let us all know what combination of drinks turned out well for you.

Directions:
Choose 2-3 drinks with different sugar contents for the layers (for example: 30 g sugar, 15 g sugar, 0 g sugar).  Now fill your cup with ice all the way to the top.  Pour the drink with the highest sugar content into the cup, filling it approximately one third full.  For the second layer, pour the second drink with the lower sugar content slowly through the ice to fill approximately the second third of the glass full.  Finally, pour the sugar-free or lowest sugar drink slowly through the ice until you’ve reached the top of the glass.  Enjoy!

(4th of July Layered Drink: Sobe Pina Colada, Gatorade Fruit Punch, G2 Blueberry-Pomegranate)

Comments

1. Lisa Nielsen says

LOVE this! Inexpensive, easy, and darling! I’m wondering how it works in the pitcher when you pour from it? Do you basically get the top layer poured in glasses first, then when that’s gone the middle, then last the bottom?

2. Mindy says

Hi Lisa,
    The pitcher mostly just looks cute until you start to pour from it. When you pour, the layers do mix somewhat, but for the most part the top layer pours off first, then the second, then the third. I like the individual drinks the best, but if you are having a crowd, the pitchers still make for a cute display on the table! Let us know how it goes if you try the layered drinks out!
    Mindy

3. brittany says

So fun!! i have never seen layered drinks like this before – what a great idea! I can’t wait to try it out. LOVED the video too – wow you looked beautiful! :)

Mindy, I was so fascinated! What a super cool idea. My 10-year old stood by my side watching with me and was mesmerized. What a good video…so great!

5. Mindy says

Hey Melissa,
    I’m glad you guys liked the layered drinks video. Seriously, I’ll bet your girls would have a blast making them!

6. Cute Drinks says

Any ideas of drinks you can use that go well together that could possibly have spirits added and still acheive this wonderful look?

Hi Cute Drinks,
    Since none of the sisters drink alcohol, we have only experimented with nonalcoholic beverages. You’re right, they do turn out wonderful though! Thanks for stopping by.

8. Megan says

I made these last night…I thought the sugar content just had to be different….I tried using 3 different powerades and it all mixed together. Then I tried with a very high sugar jones soda and it worked much better. I highly recommend starting with a very high sugar content like 40 or 50, then about 20 then 0. Thanks for the idea. Our guest and kids loved the fun drinks!

9. Jan says

I made them with 31 sugar content, then 20, then 2, and it worked out great. For me, the trick is to pour VERY slowly over the ice cubes which break the impact of the flow of the second and third layers. It was a fun 4th of July treat. Thanks, Sisters!

Mindy, you are so cute! And talk about natural on camera (can we say next Food Network Star??). I love this idea and can’t wait to use it with my boys. They’ll love it (especially that high sugar bottom layer!).

This is such a cool idea! I don’t do much fancy entertaining, but I can see having an event just to try it! I bet you could do something really cool with orange, purple & green for Halloween, or red, green and white for Christmas. . .

In college I would have a layered drink every day in the cafeteria for lunch – I’d fill a cup (no ice) halfway with Sprite, then most of the rest with apple juice, then add a squirt of cranberry (probably cranberry cocktail instead of cranberry juice, but I’m not sure – it was a cafeteria, after all) The apple juice and sprite would mix, but the cranberry juice would settle on the bottom and make a really pretty sunrise effect.

13. Carol says

As a science teacher, I was looking for a fun experiment that involved learning about different densities of solutions. We watched your video as a class. At home I experimented with using powdered drink mixes to create the different sugar contents but they mixed together too easily to form the layers. It appears Jones soda may be the trick to making the layers look terrific…I hope it is available at WalMart since I have never seen/heard if this product. We also tried a zero calorie soda for the top layer (Fresca) and it too readily mixed with the middle layer – however it tasted delicious to have a bit of carbonation. Like you I am always looking for inspiring non-alcoholic drinks. Could you experiment with those mixers found in the grocery store?

14. Billi says

I was challenged to find a red, white & blue beverage for my grandson’s 1st birthday that had the theme of “The Future President”. Thank you so much! My daughter absolutely loves the idea! Do you think it would work in a punch bowl?

• Mindy says

Billi,
      It works great in a clear punch bowl cosmetically as long as you use lots of ice to filter the drinks into layers so they don’t mix. You won’t get the layered effect when you ladle out the punch though. It tends to mix when you ladle it. If you use a punch bowl with a spout on the bottom,the layers will drain out one at a time. If you want the layered effect for individual drinks, you really do have to make each one individually. Does that help?

15. Billi says

Mindy, that helps immensely! I figured it would mix when ladled but I was hoping that it would be okay for the centerpiece. I will definitely let you know how it worked and may even send pics. Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas.

16. Donna says

Is there a sugar free way to make this; I do not allow sodas or sugar drinks in my house. Would sugar free kool-aide work or no?

I really like what you guys are usually up too.
    This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent
    works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.

Trackbacks

1. [...] top left: pinned by Renee Lareau — source: Making it Lovely top right: pinned by Katie Vanaria — source: Half Baked middle left: re-pinned by Cyd — source: Glorious Treats middle: re-pinned by Mama Magpie — source: Martha Stewart bottom left: re-pinned by Catherine McCord — source: Lemon Kitchen Blog bottom right: re-pinned by Helen Eng — source: The Sisters Café [...]