Have you heard of this pie? I have seen it all over the Internet this year. The pictures are mouthwatering, but the directions seemed a little strange to me. I couldn’t believe that a can of sweetened condensed milk could really turn into caramel simply by boiling it, in the can, no less!!
After doing a little research, I found there are many different ways to make the caramel. I followed the directions for boiling it on the stove top, but will include directions for several methods you could use to get he same results. It was true–boiling the can DID magically transform the sweetened condensed milk into a rich and beautiful caramel, also known as Dulce de Leche. I can think of lots and lots of great uses for this stuff….dip apples slices, over ice cream, in between shortbread cookies and more! But this pie has got to be at the top of the list! It was sensational!
I hear that this pie is famously popular in the UK, thought to be invented at an English restaurant called “The Hungry Monk” in 1972. I can’t believe that it has been around that long and has taken me so long to finally make it!
I am especially excited to know how to make the amazing caramel out of a simple can of sweetened condensed milk. Maybe you already knew abou this little kitchen magic, but this new to me and I couldn’t be happier:) Super easy and oh so good! In fact, I have read that you can make it months ahead of time and store unopened cans in your pantry until ready to use! Genius. You could have an amazing dessert in minutes! Give it a try! Trust me, you will wow your family!
Speaking of family, I am trying to get mine organized:) I am starting a series on my other blog Melandboys with lots of tips and ideas to keep our homes organized. Today I shared a super inexpensive but effective battery organizer here.
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 3 Bananas sliced
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whipping cream whipped with 1-2 TB powdered sugar until stiff peaks form
- Remove the label from can of sweetened condensed milk. Put in pot and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 2½ hours. Be sure to keep the can totally covered in water to be safe. The can will burst if it is not completly covered in water the whole time! Be careful!! When cooled enough that you can handle with can with your bare hands, it is safe to open.
- Take the label of the can and place in crock pot. Cover completely with water. Put lid on and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Just once again make sure there is plenty of water and the cans are covered the entire time! Cool before opening.
- Open can of sweetened condensed milk and pour into a glass pie plate. Cover with tin foil. Place in a roasting pan and fill pan halfway with water. Place in a 300 degree oven and bake for 40 minutes or until is a rich caramel color.
- Slice the bananas into your pie shell. It does not matter how, just make sure it is somewhat even. Pour the cooled caramel over the banana slices. Cover in sweet whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate. Viola! That is it and you have a MAGICAL incredible dessert! Enjoy:)