Salmon with Feta and Capers

This recipe is from my friend Stephanie – a wonderful cook, especially of seafood!  She came up with this recipe on her own and has been making it for years. She hosted a delicious dinner party (that I was lucky enough to attend) and served this dish… I was hooked!  It doesn’t have specific amounts for several reasons… first of all, it depends on how much salmon you are cooking.  Secondly, you have the freedom to add more of one ingredient that you love, and less of something you’re not sure about. But let me tell you her tips:  Use lots and lots of feta cheese and capers!  I thought I did but when I was eating it I was wishing it had even more capers!  So don’t be shy.  If you have never bought or cooked with capers before don’t be scared either. They are delicious and mild.  Enjoy and let me know what you think! I’m excited to hear what you all have to say about this fantastic recipe.

Btw, I forgot to mention that I decided to use myWestern Sizzle  Trout Seasoning instead of Lemon Pepper and it was wonderful. So if you have a fish seasoning (especially with a citrus flair) that you love, use it!

Salmon with Feta and Capers
submitted by Brittany ~ The Sisters Cafe

one salmon filet
olive oil
1/2 large lemon
lemon pepper seasoning
fresh chopped garlic
feta cheese, crumbled
capers

Rinse salmon filet and pat dry with paper towels.  Place in tinfoil lined 9×13 inch baking dish skin side down.  Drizzle lightly with olive oil.  Squeeze 1/2 lemon over fish.  Sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper seasoning.  Next chop some fresh garlic and sprinkle across the salmon.  Take feta cheese and sprinkle on top.  Spoon out capers with a fork so most of the vinegar will drain and sprinkle across the fish. Use a lot of feta and capers – more that you think! This is the best part.  Lastly, lightly drizzle with olive oil again.  Your salmon should look something like this:

Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes or until salmon flakes when pierced with fork. For the last 3-5 minutes place under the broiler to brown the cheese.  Do NOT overcook salmon – it will be dry and nasty.  Keep a close eye on it!  Cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of your filet.  It should be just barely done.

Comments

Do you think this recipe would work well with chicken breasts (probably pounded a little thin) as no one in my family likes salmon (including me)? It looks delicious, with the flavors of the capers and cheese.

2. Talia says

Oh, my! This sounds incredible. I love capers add feta and salmon and yum!! I can’t wait to try it!

BTW…I love your blog and promise to comment on a more consistent/regular basis!

Omigosh! I am drooling looking at this. I seriously can’t wait to make this salmon. I’ll have to ask you more about capers. I haven’t cooked with them before and quickly looked (and didn’t find) them at Kohlers. But your description has me sold.

4. Pauline says

Brittany:

This is definitely on our menu for next week. Will let you know. But I’m curious. What did you serve with this? I recognize the roasted rosemary potatoes, but what else is on the plate? I’m terrible at deciding on side dishes and comments about sides would be a great help. Thanks!

• Brittany says

HI Pauline, I did serve it with the herb roasted potatoes and the other is sauteed zuccinni (doesn’t look like it since it was one of those huge home-grown ones!) My friend that gave me this recipe likes to serve it with any of the following: rice pilaf, greek-type salad (green or pasta), steamed veggies, or even garlic mashed potatoes. hope that helps! I know what you mean about sides though…I like to have some ideas too!

5. Melanie says

Oh wow!! This salmon looks sooo good!! Brad (my non fish lover) is traveling this week so I will be makin gthis for sure!! Thanks for another great recipe!!

6. Pauline says

Brittany:

It’s official! This is my new #1 favorite salmon recipe (and we eat salmon once or twice a week, so we’re experts!) How wonderful! And so so so easy! The greek salad is a wonderful idea, also. Thanks for that, too. FYI, my 1/2# filet took 10 minutes of oven time, then 2 minutes broiling and it came it perfectly. I served roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus, but I’ll definitely be doing the salad next time. Send a BIG thanks to Stephanie for me! Thank you so much for sharing.

7. Jennifer G. says

I pinned this awhile ago on pinterest and finally got around to trying it tonight. It was very good and easy to put together. I love the strong flavors and will make again. Served it with steamed green and yellow squash.

Trackbacks