Spaghetti Sauce

by Erin on October 6, 2011

This is a great, quick, delicious family recipe for spaghetti sauce. My kids love it, and so do my husband and I.  There is nothing complicated about this dinner; you just put it all together and let it simmer while you boil the spaghetti. I found this yummy recipe a long time ago on Taste and Tell. It makes enough for at least two dinners for my small family. I haven’t frozen it before, but I imagine it would freeze and reheat just fine.  Enjoy!

Spaghetti Sauce
submitted by Erin ~ The Sisters Cafe .com

1 pound ground beef
1 pound sausage
1 chopped onion
2 cloves freshly minced garlic
1 grated carrot
1/2 cup chopped parsley  (2 ½ T. dry)
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
Tomato sauce can of water
1 24-26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1 T. sugar
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried basil

Brown ground beef and sausage with onion. Drain grease, and add garlic. Add carrot and parsley and simmer for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer between 20 minutes or a couple hours. This makes a lot. If desired, recipe may be halved.

1 Deborah October 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm

So glad you liked this! It’s still probably my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe!!

2 Becki's Whole Life October 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ooh…I like this. The ground been and sausage is a great combo, but I also like that it has carrots, mushrooms and the beef bouillon. Some great flavor here!

3 Camille October 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm

This sounds good!!! We just had spaghetti tonight…I wish I had seen this recipe before…I will definitely be trying it though!! Thanks!!!

4 Mindy October 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

We always use sausage instead of ground beef in our spaghetti sauce… so much better! I’ll bet the combo of hamburger and sausage would be great. I may try this with elk and sausage. Britt made her “Not Your Average Meatloaf” this week with turkey sausage and elk and it turned out awesome. Thanks for posting, Erin!

5 Barbara October 13, 2011 at 8:52 am

There are so many kinds of sausage out there–breakfast sausage, spicy italian sausage, sweet italian sausage… do you have a favorite? If so, do you have a favorite brand?

6 Erin October 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

Hi Barbara,
I usually use mild Italian Sausage. I should specify that in the recipe. I squeeze it out of the skins and brown it with the beef. Sometimes I buy spicy and use a little of that with mostly mild. But using all spicy Italian sausage makes it too hot for my family. I buy the generic brand or whatever brand is on sale. :)
Hope you enjoy!