Crockpot Chicken Quesadillas

by Mindy on January 18, 2012

I don’t know about you, but I am still unwinding from all the bustle and fun of the holidays.  We haven’t been “out” on purpose for the past three weeks, and it’s been heavenly!  In my opinion, January is for snuggling up with warm cups of hot cocoa in front of fires and reading books… interspersed with movies watched under piles of quilts with big bowls of popcorn!  Of course, the reality of January includes a lot of cleaning up, organizing, and catching up, too.  So I’ve found myself drawn to low prep dinners that everyone will eat without much fuss.  These quesadillas definitely fit the bill.  Throw a few ingredients in the crockpot tomorrow and take a few moments out to enjoy a little peace, right?  And don’t worry, even though they include a jalapeno and green chiles, they really aren’t too spicy.

Crockpot Chicken Quesadillas
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

4 chicken breasts
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1  small can green chilies
1 jalapeno diced
8 ounces cream cheese

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and heat on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).  When the chicken is cooked, shred with a fork and return to the crockpot.  Keep on low until you are ready to make quesadillas.

To make quesadillas: Heat skillet and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, then sprinkle with sea salt.  Warm each tortilla in the oil and salt .  Sprinkle cheddar cheese on tortilla, add chicken and black bean.  Top with another tortilla and cook for 2 minutes on each side.  Serve with sour cream, cilantro and diced fresh tomatoes.

Recipe Source: When Life Gives You Kids by Lemon Poppy

1 Leslie January 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Your idea for January sounds perfect(!!), and I try my hardest to make the best of the dreariest month of the year! (Although mine also involves those less than fun chores, too!)
This recipe is brilliant! I love Mexican dishes, and have never tried one in the crock pot. I think I have everthing in my pantry right now actually!
Blessings,
Leslie

2 brittany January 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm

wow Mindy those look wonderful – perfectly simple but I love the “unexpected” ingredients that have me craving it… like the sea salt with the oil (yum!) and cream cheese. My family will love these and I love how easy they are! thanks for sharing! And btw, great picture!

3 Debbie January 19, 2012 at 6:04 am

This is probably a stupid question, but after you shred the chicken, do you put it back in the cream cheese, tomatoe, chili, mixture?

4 Mindy January 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

Debbie,
Yes! After you shred the chicken, you do put it back into the crockpot with the cream cheese, tomatoes, chilies mixture. The shredded chicken absorbs the mixture to some degree. Very yummy!
Mindy

5 Melanie January 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh yummy!! My family would LOVE this! Thanks MIndy–and I totally agree January and February are snuggle up at home with your family and a good books time of year:)

6 MJ January 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I added everything together, and after a few hours the cream cheese separated and looked curdled. Did this happen to yours? I’m thinking I should have added that at the end.

7 Mindy January 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi MJ,
The cream cheese looked separated when I made this, too. Don’t worry! After you shred the chicken and mix it back in with all the ingredients left in the crockpot, the cream cheese looks and tastes great. I don’t remember thinking it looked weird at thend, and it tasted great! Let me know how it turns out for you!

Mindy

8 Kristen January 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Once I saw this I had to have it for dinner! The trouble was I found it at 5:00–too late for the crockpot. I did it in a pot on the stove on a low simmer and after 45 minutes, it was ready to go. We put it on top of nachos for a fun, easy dinner. Yum!

9 Ruth Ann February 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

Do you think a can of Rotel Tomatoes would work in place of the other ingredients?

10 Mindy May 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Ruth Ann, I think you could use Rotel instead of the tomatoes and green chiles, but I would still add the jalapeno. Also Rotel comes in a 10 ounce can, so maybe do 1.5 cans of Rotel?

11 Sam February 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

I was wondering the same thing… just saw this recipe this morning. Am mixing it up for dinner now. But I don’t have chiles- only a can of original rotel. I’m going to give it a try to replace the tomatoes and chilies but am still going to put in the jalapeno too.

12 Deb March 6, 2012 at 2:59 am

Yum, we really enjoyed this last night. It was nice to come home from work and have the hardest part all done ahead! I made enough for us, to take to a friend and for leftovers…the kids will be snacking on them today!

13 Amber May 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Love this idea, but my husband hates cream cheese. Any ideas for a substitution?

14 Mindy May 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Amber,
I can’t vouch for any substitutions since I haven’t tried them… but I think cottage cheese or ricotta might work. I would add them at the end though, just before serving. Let me know how it goes if you try either one.

15 Liesel August 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi there, I made this for dinner tonight and am looking forward to it. Might I add a suggestion? You don’t list black beans, cheddar cheese, tortillas, or condiments in your ingredients list. Fortunately, I had most of it on hand but I don’t have any black beans as they didn’t make it to my shopping list. It would be super helpful to have all that in the initial list. I read through recipes before they go on our meal plan for the week but I’m not always making my shopping list at the same time. Thanks!