Raspberry Lemon Muffins

by Melanie on March 20, 2012

Oh my, I have been so excited to share this recipe with you—You are going to LOVE these muffins!  They are absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious!  I like to pull this recipe out for special occasions this time of year.  They are so good that people will think you must have picked them up at some fancy bakery:)  The sweet raspberries and the tangy lemon glaze are like Springtime in your mouth!   I think that these muffins would be the perfect addition to, or even a reason to have, a weekend brunch!  Speaking of favorite Springtime recipes I wanted to tell you about a great opportunity to not only find some new recipes but to help children in need and all you need to do is go to the Frigidaire site.

When you check out Suzanne Goin’s springtime recipes at www.maketimeforchange.com, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children’s U.S. programs. Plus, you’ll be entered for a chance to win the new Frigidaire Range with Symmetry™ Double Ovens– featuring two large ovens (that can each fit up to a 28 pound turkey!), providing the flexibility to cook multiple dishes at the same time at different temperatures, so you can get more on the table at the same time.  Pretty great, huh?!

This post was sponsored by Frigidaire but all the opinions are my own!
Happy Spring everyone!  Enjoy!

Raspberry Lemon Muffins
submitted by Melanie~The Sisters

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk (or you can substitute milk)
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 tsp grated lemon peel

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbs butter, softened

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a medium bowl.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg, melted butter, and buttermilk.  Stir just until all ingredients are combined.  Gently stir in the raspberries and 1 tsp lemon peel.  Fill 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups 3/4 full.  Set aside.  Combine, brown sugar, 1/4 flour, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp lemon peel.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or use your fingers until crumbly.  Sprinkle mixture over muffins.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Cool for 20 minutes and glaze with mixture of powdered sugar and lemon juice.

Recipe Source:  slightly adapted from a recipe my friend Starlie gave me.

1 Mal @ The Chic Geek March 20, 2012 at 7:58 am

This looks absolutely delicious!

2 Britt March 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Mel those muffins look and sound amazing!! I seriously can’t wait to try them! :)

3 Mindy March 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Those muffins do look amazing. I’m excited to try them!

4 Deloris March 21, 2012 at 12:04 am

Those muffins look delicious and I’m sure they are.
I wanted to tell you that I made the Cherry Lemon Scones this past weekend — LOVE them. The comment was made “Did you make those?”
“Yes.” Wow, they look like they came from a bakery” LOVED that!

5 Melanie March 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m glad you liked the Scones Deioris:) They are favorite of mine too!

6 kellie March 21, 2012 at 5:43 am

The muffins look wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

7 diana March 22, 2012 at 6:09 am

I made these for my lil’ ones (and not so lil’ ones) and we voted. . .BeSt! MuFFiNS! EvA!!! Love them. I think I’ll make enough for a small army and put them in the freezer! Thanks! These would also be de-lish with blueberries.

8 Melanie March 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

What a great idea to use blueberries! Im not sure why I never thought of that. I bet that would be fantastic!!!

9 Starlie March 25, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hi Melanie! I just made these yesterday to welcome Spring. I miss our recipe group and I miss you! I make these every year on Easter Sunday as well. My family loves them. If anyone lives near a source for huckleberries these are an amazing substitution for the raspberries. Blueberries are good too.

10 Melanie March 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Starlie,
So good to hear from you my sweet friend!! I miss you too and think of you often when I whip of one of your many yummy recipes from our recipe group. That was so fun!! I love your idea about the huckleberries–I bet that would be yummy!

11 Nancy March 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm

these look so tasty! This might be a dumb question but if i’m using frozen raspberries, do i let them thaw first before throwing them in or just leave them frozen… or does it matter?

12 Melanie March 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Nancy,
I am so sorry that I did not see this question sooner! Im not sure how I missed it–but yes you can toss them in frozen. I think it would be a mess if you defrosted them first. They would be so mushy and “bleed” a lot juice. Your muffins would probably still be tastey–but would be pink colored:)

13 Jan April 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Oh my,these look fabulous!

14 Britt August 3, 2012 at 11:55 am

Made these for dinner last night and loved them!!

15 Chelsea August 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

I was looking for a muffin recipe to use of some fresh raspberries we had picked. I came across this one and just by looking at the picture, knew they would be delicious! My whole family agreed that they were the best muffins ever and tasted like they came from some fancy bakery! Thanks for our new favorite muffin recipe!!

16 Jenn September 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

How many muffins does this recipe make?

17 Gloria September 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I made these muffins last week cause they sounded amazing..and they were, I kept some for us and gave 1 1/2 doz away as gifts…I got rave reviews, One friend just has to have the recipe and the other one called it HEAVEN IN A MUFFIN!!

18 Jodi July 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Hi Mel. I’ve made these muffins twice now and am so in love with them. They are hands down the best muffin s ever!! I finally got around to posting them today, so thank you for sharing. I hope you and your family are enjoying your summer. Take care

19 Jan September 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I just made these and they were FABULOUS! Thanks for the great recipe. This is a 10/10!

20 Margarida February 11, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Hi there. Just tried the recipe and it is DELICIOUS!! Thanks for and greetings from Portugal :)

21 Didi February 15, 2014 at 5:48 am

I use your website all the time:) usually from my iPhone or iPad. I was wondering if you could create an APP? I’d even pay the .99cents or $1.99! ☺