Nothing kicks off summer better than a backyard BBQ or as they say here in the South a ‘cook out’! For years I bought those frozen preformed hamburgers that went straight from the freezer to the grill, but you know what? They were never very good! So, I started making my own, and WOW what a difference! I will share the foundations for a perfect backyard burger,and some fun stir ins to can change it up if you desire! One thing that doesn’t change for my husband is the cheese. He insists on Kraft Singles to melt on top. It brings back childhood memories and in his mind a burger is not a burger without it! Do you have a favorite way you grill your burgers? If so, please share:)
The Perfect Burger
submitted by Melanie~The Sisters Cafe
1 1/3 lb ground beef (I use Kirkland Brand Organic Ground Beef -meium fat makes a juicy burger)
1 heaping tsp of dijon
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced (bottled works great)
1/4 -1/2 onion, finely grated( I’ve used onion powder with great results too)
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 tsp Johnny’s Seasoned Salt (you could do regular salt and about a 1/2 tsp pepper instead)
FUN stir ins:
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 TB teriyaki sauce or hoisin sauce
1 fresh jalapeno or a few pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 TB fresh herb, such as oregano, parsley or rosemary
2 tsp Cajun seasonings
1 TB barbecue sauce
a handful of feta and chopped sun dried tomatoes
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup pesto
**As you can see, the sky is the limit when it comes to stir ins:)
A Few Tips for the Perfect Burger:
1. Brush your grill with oil and then heat to medium.
2. Put all the ingredients together in a bowl and add any “stir ins” your heart desires:)
3. Using your hands or a fork, gently stir together. Be careful to handle the meat as little as possible–the heat from your hands will start to melt the fat creating a dense and tough hamburger.
4. Gently create 4- 5 patties that are 3/4 inch thick.
5. Have you ever had your burgers form rounded tops when cooking, causing your condiments to slide off? Well, the smart people at America Test Kitchens found if you use your thumb to create a small depression in the center of the burger, it will prevent that during cooking. I have done this ever since I read that –and it works like a charm!
6. Place hamburger patties on the preheated grill and close the lid! Do not poke, smash or flip more than once! This will make all the juices to come out and your will be left with dry as a bone burgers! Leave on the grill until no longer pink inside, turning one time! Usually this is 5-7 minutes per side, depending on how thick you made your patties.
7. The last few minute of cooking put a slice of cheese on top your patty.
8. While the cheese is melting, toast your buns on the top rack of the grill.
9. Gently place your perfect burger between your lightly toasted buns, and pile with your favortie toppings. ENJOY!
Recipe Source: Im not sure, I think from lots of different people and articles over the years–and thru trial and error of course:)
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers Program, I received a coupon for free Kraft Singles and a stipened, which we used to create the perfect hamburgers with! YUM!