Waffles of Insane Greatness

Have I mentioned that we really LOVE waffles at my house?  They are at top of the list of favorite foods right up there with chocolate chip cookies.  I think it is because we love them so much that I get sucked in by claims of’ the best recipe ever’  and I just can’t help but try them out now and again. Oh and there are so many lovely varieties to match the season, the ingredients you have on hand or simply your mood.  Let me review with you my favorite waffle recipes I have previously shared– I have the overnight waffles, sour cream waffles, peanut butter wholegrain waffles, gingerbread waffles (not to mention the double chocolate and whole wheat blender waffle recipes my sisters have posted)  Yeah, you get the picture I am a sucker for a good waffle and I think we have you covered in the waffle department:)

Well, this recipe using cornstarch seems to be ALL OVER the Internet with lots of different names including” Waffles of Insane Greatness”.  I was intrigued when I read that the recipe originated right here where I live in Chattanooga, TN at a restaurant called Aretha Frankenstein’s. I have never eaten there, but I plan to now! They were made famous when Miss Rachel Ray stopped in on an early episode of $40 a day.  Cool, huh?!  Also, who could resist a recipe with that description?  I, of course had to try it out and lo and behold–it did make the PERFECT waffle!  Super crispy on the outside and sweet and tender inside.  That is exactly how a waffle should be in my opinion!   These waffles have a lot of cornstarch, which is not an ingredient I use often.  I found that I was always out when we wanted waffles (very dissapointing) so I now buy the big huge container at Costco and we are now good to go anytime the craving for perfect waffles strike:)  I have been using this recipe for quite some time but didn’t share it with you all because I didn’t think we needed another waffle recipe on The Sisters Cafe, but you know what?!  I changed my mind, I just can’t keep this insanely great recipe from you any longer!  Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

***Please note that you need to let the batter sit for 30 minutes before coooking–so plan accordingly:)***

PS
Here are some links fo Happy thoughts and my Weekly Menu

Waffles of Insane Greatness
submitted by Melanie~The Sisters Cafe

1 1/2  c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cornstarch
1  tsp baking powder
1/2  tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c whole milk or buttermilk
2/3 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Butter and syrup, for serving

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.

Recipe Source:  Aretha Frankenstein Waffle Recipe on Food 52

Comments

1. Brittany R. says

How many waffles does it make? I’m just wondering if I halved the recipe if it’d be enough for just my hubby and I.

• Melanie says

Yes you can definetly half the recipe and it will turn out great! In fact this is a doubled recipe from what I found on line. My family is big so sometimes I acutally triple it. I just think they are so great that I want extras:) Just to let you know they store very well. Either in the freezer or fridge–just reheat in the toaster. Hope you enjoy:)

2. Dawn says

I’m not trying to be rude at all so I hope my comment isn’t taken that way. We made these tonight and I thought they were WAY too thin and not of insane greatness. We won’t be making these again. I had to fold my waffle in half just to feel like I was eating anything at all. I love most of your recipes but this wasn’t a favorite at all. Sorry.

• Melanie says

I am so sorry that they didn’t turn out for you! I am wondering if you remembered to let the batter sit for 30 minutes as directed? I have made this recipe so many times and never had it fail me so I am quite perplexed by your experience! So strange!!

• Cathy says

I just found this recipe and it makes PERFECT waffles in my kitchenaid pro-line waffle maker…
      2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
      ½ tsp baking powder
      ¼ tsp salt
      1 ½ cup milk
      ½ cup butter, melted
      4 eggs, separated
      2 tsp vanilla
      2 tbsp sugar

Directions
      Combine flour, baking powder, salt, egg yolks, milk, vanilla & sugar; whisk together.
      Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
      Whisk one third of egg whites into batter, then fold in second third. Once incorporated fold in the last of the whites.
      Cook according to instructions for your waffle baker.
      ———————–
      I just bought this waffle maker and it’s AMAZING!!! It makes full size Belgium waffles… I never had success with the little square waffle irons…this thing is the best thing since sliced bread! ;p)

• says

I just found this recipe and it makes FANTASTIC Belgium waffles using my kitchenaid pro-line waffle maker…. haven’t had a failed batch yet! ;o)

2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
      ½ tsp baking powder
      ¼ tsp salt
      1 ½ cup milk
      ½ cup butter, melted
      4 eggs, separated
      2 tsp vanilla
      2 tbsp sugar

Directions
      Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
      Cook according to instructions for your waffle baker.

We have been doing breakfast for dinner a lot lately and we can’t get enough waffles to accompany our eggs. I have tried several new waffle recipes and going to give this one a try next with such great reviews! And like I said, we love breakfast foods, so by all means, post any and all waffle, pancake, etc. recipes you have!!

waffles are the one breakfast food that my toddler will eat (no pancakes, eggs, bagels – it’s maddening!), so I am always looking for a great recipe! Printing this out to try this weekend!

5. Emily Anderson says

If u luv waffles u should try a liege waffle. U make them with Lars pearl sugar…there is recipe on the back of the box. They r made with yeast and then u add the pearl sugar right enforce putting on waffle iron. Made best in a good waffle iron like William sonomas allclac waffle iron. I am excited to try these waffles of insane greatness…thx for sharing.

6. Annie says

I made these the other night and we loved them! I was slightly skeptical, but had buttermilk that needed to be used so I figured, what the heck?! We will totally make these again!! Thanks!

7. Thesha says

We love waffles at our house, I am very excited to try this recipe. I was given this same waffle iron when I got married and it has been fabulous (my kids love their “heart waffles”)! I have had so many people ask me where I got it but since it was a gift I don’t know…do you remember where you got yours?

These were delicious! Perfectly crispy on the outside, sweet and tender on the inside – just like you said. I actually made my batter the night before (so it sat in the fridge for about 10 hours), and they were still perfect. Thanks so much!

9. Amy says

I’ve been making these savory instead of sweet by leaving out the sugar and vanilla and adding chopped up ham and shredded cheese and they are sooooooo good! Thanks for the recipe.

Trackbacks