How To: Make Pumpkin Pie Spice

by Melanie on October 23, 2012

Have you ever wondered how to make Pumpkin Pie Spice yourself?  One of my very favorite fall recipes is this Cranberry Pumpkin Bread and it calls for 2 TB of pumpkin pie spice and it seems that my tiny little jar of store bought pumpkin pie spice was always empty.  This is no surprise considering the large amount needed each time I baked that bread:)  I was always annoyed when I went to buy it that it cost so much for so little especially when I was pretty sure I already had everything to make it myself sitting in my spice cupboard.  So you can imagine my delight when my friend Sheri shared with the recipe for pumpkin pie spice and sure enough I already keep my kitchen stocked with each of the spices needed.  Now I can whip it up myself–saving time and money!  I think with Thanksgiving coming up and making pumpkin pies and desserts you will find this little recipe  comes in handy!  And you must try this Cranberry Pumpkin bread–trust me, it is unique and so tasty!

Pumpkin Pie Spice
submitted by Melanie~www.thesisterscafe.com

2 TB cinnamon
1 TB ginger
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cloves

I usually put all these ground spices into the jar and shake really well.  You could also use a bowl and a fork to mix together.  I found these jars at my local craft store–I have also seem them at World Market.  You could just reuse your pumpkin pie spice jar when it runs out:)

1 Mrs. Doot October 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Has it been a whole day since I have said how much I love you ladies???!!! Thank you for this! I make pumpkin muffins and I use an entire container of that expensive stuff in every batch! Granted the batch makes about 36 Costco size muffins but still $5-$6 for one jar is pretty pricey! Cannot wait to try this! Thank you again!!

2 Robin October 24, 2012 at 7:52 am

If you live in Utah (or California and I’m not sure where else) go to WinCo and get your spices for cheap! They sell them in bulk and you pay by the pound–scoop as much or as little as you want into plastic bags. They also sell a few different sized containers that can be purchased separately for storage.

Thanks for all the great recipes!!

3 Laurie October 31, 2012 at 10:33 am

FYI — I believe WINCO stands for Washington Idaho Nevada California(Colorado?) Oregon, all of the states where it started :-)

4 Allison October 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

It’s like you read my mind!! I was at the store last night with my husband complaining about how expensive pumpkin pie spice is. I have all the above on hand & can’t wait to give it mixed and used!
Thank you!

5 Pat October 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Just yesterday my Sister and I were shopping and talking about Pumpkin Pie Spice and the fact that our Mother did not like using store bought. She did not like the allspice that is in it. Now, here you are with a recipe for it without the allspice. Thank you!

6 Sandle October 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

As soon as I saw this, I gathered all the ingredients and made a batch. Thanks so much for the recipe!

7 Lillie January 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I thought $3.96 was too much to pay (Colorado), so I got on the internet and found this website. I already have the 4 spices in my cupboard. Thanks so much!

8 kathy erkelens September 29, 2013 at 1:01 pm

cool!! thank you

9 Jan November 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Thanks so much! I just saw a recipe that needed Pumpkin Pie Spice and thought I would have to go to the store. I have all the ingredients on hand so I am set. Thanks Melanie.

10 home remedies for yeast infection greek yogurt March 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Fantastic post however , I was wondering if you could write a
litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a
little bit more. Thank you!