Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

by Brittany on November 30, 2012

First off, we have a winner for the Jamie Oliver cookbook!  Random.org chose commenter #13 Julie… congratulations! Email us at contact@thesisterscafe.com with your mailing address and information and we will send you the cookbook!  And now on for some yummy hot chocolate I’m excited to share with you all…

The weather outside is frightful.  Well, ok it’s not quite frightful but it is cold, wet, and gray here in Seattle.  I just have Christmas songs in my head this morning. :)  So what’s a better way to fight the chill than a steaming mug of hot chocolate?  Add a crackling fire and good book and not much beats that… in my world at least.  We go through a lot of hot chocolate at my house during the winter so a good hot chocolate mix is a must.  When I saw this recipe on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe I was intrigued by the ground white chocolate in the ingredient list… sounded wonderful!  I can report that we now are completely converted to homemade hot chocolate. The taste is far superior to anything I’ve bought at the store and it’s a cinch to whip up the mix.  I can’t wait to share this sweet treat with you all. It would be perfect as a neighborhood gift or teacher gift too.  Enjoy!

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
submitted by Brittany ~ The Sisters Cafe

3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1½ cups cocoa powder, dutch-process or natural
1½ cups white chocolate chips or finely chopped white chocolate
¼ teaspoon salt
Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Working in two (or more) batches, pulse the ingredients in a food processor or heavy duty blender (the BlendTec can handle all the ingredients at once) until the chocolate is finely ground. Store the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

To make hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot milk or water.  (Personally I like water, milk makes it extremely creamy but I’ve never been a fan of the taste of hot chocolate made with milk… maybe I’m weird!)  Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream or, if you’re into those small fluffy bits of sugar, try miniature marshmallows!

recipe source: Mel’s Kitchen Café originally from Cook’s Country

1 Julie November 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thanks Sister’s Cafe! I sent my email to the address you provided! I can’t wait to get cooking :)

2 Heather or Kitchen Concoctions November 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Oh not me! I love the rich and creaminess of milk in my hot chocolate! I like the unique touch the ground white chocolate adds to this!

3 Tina December 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm

no, you’re right…the weather in the Seattle area IS FRIGHTFUL! I think a nice steaming mug of hot cocoa is just the ticket to warm the body and soul! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

4 Mel December 3, 2012 at 8:50 am

Glad you loved this mix, Brittany – it makes such a great gift for the holidays!

5 Live a Sweet Life December 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Love that you added white chocolate!

6 Bev December 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm

When you say ‘non-fat dry milk powder’ are you meaning the kind you buy in a box at the grocery store (instant) or the non-instant variety that might be in your home food storage?

7 john December 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm

In making this I would be using a blender . Will I have to be careful not to blend to much, since the heat might melt the white chocolate chips? Thanks. (Ran across your site by accident).

8 amy December 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

how much does this recipe make? also, i have the same question about the type of dry milk to use and would also like to know if you have tried making it without using the nonfat version.

9 Brittany December 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

HI Amy, I should have replied to that comment on here so everyone could read it… so here you go. I have only used the instant nonfat dry milk that you buy in a box at the grocery store. I don’t know if the other kind would work. This recipe makes 7-8 cups I would say. Hope that helps! Merry Christmas!

10 Nichole December 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

How much was your total cost for purchasing the ingredients for this

11 Missy December 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I found this recipe while looking for a last-minute gift idea for someone. This is perfect! And it looks absolutely delicious. :) Thank you for posting this! The recipes on your website look yummy, can’t wait to bake!

12 10 day weather forecast for madrid spain February 14, 2013 at 5:07 am

Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own blog

soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free
platform like

Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there
that I’m totally confused .. Any tips? Thanks a lot!

13 Amie July 15, 2013 at 7:07 am

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly

informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue

this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Take a look at my web blog :: Madge (Amie)

14 Brian November 6, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hey there! Quick question that’s completely off

topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when

viewing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that

might be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share.

Appreciate it!

Here is my web site – Costa Blanca Classifieds (Brian)