How To: Make a Spice Cake from a Yellow Cake Mix

by Brittany on November 9, 2012

I am making Mel’s wonderfully delicious Pumpkin Cream Trifle today… the only problem being, I didn’t have a spice cake mix in the pantry.  The thought of trying to cram a grocery store trip into the few minutes available between baby and toddler nap times, not to mention the pain of dragging all three kids through the store (I’m sure plenty of you relate), had me reconsidering the importance of a spice cake mix.  I mean, I’m sure I could make one on my own. I have a yellow cake mix and lots of spices, after all.  So I rolled up my sleeves and experimented… with yummy results, I’m happy to say!  The pumpkin spice cake layer for my trifle ended up deliciously fragrant, with just the right amounts of spice.  It’s so easy I hesitated to post it on here but then I decided I better. After all, it’s often the easiest shortcuts that can save a lot of time and hassle when we are in a pinch.  So here you go.

How To Make a Spice Cake from a Yellow Cake Mix
submitted by Brittany ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 yellow cake mix box
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves

Combine all together and follow directions on box or in your recipe.  If you need a recipe to try this out on, may I suggest the best pumpkin trifle out there: Pumpkin Cream Trifle.

1 sarita November 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I’m so glad you posted this! Very useful this time of year!

2 Mindy November 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Very useful! I almost always have a yellow cake mix and a chocolate one, but I seem to always be making special trips to the store if I decide I need another kind. I already know this will come in handy!

3 Jan December 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

That post made me laugh – I have wanted to make the trifle recipe several times and didn’t have the spice cake mix so just made something else. You are pretty clever! Thanks.

4 Sheila A October 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I’m happy for this as well! I asked my hubby to pick up a spice cake mix when he was at the grocery store. He couldn’t find it. Unfortunately I found this after he left. Actually, I’m just going to do this rather than buy the box of spice mix. Thank you!

5 Alicia November 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

In the fall when I like to make pumkpkin chocolate chip muffins, I use this recipe frequently. My recipe calls for 1 spice cake mix, 1 small can of pumpkin, and 1/2 C (or to taste) of choc chips. No other oil, liquid, etc. Sometimes I can’t find the spice cake mixes, or they cost quite a bit more (??!) so this is my go-to “recipe”. Thanks!

6 Amanda November 15, 2013 at 8:18 am

This is great information. I shop at Aldi for my basics and they don’t stock spice cake mix. This will save a trip to a full service store, and thus save me money in buying extra stuff I find. Needed for my Thanksgiving dessert apple spice dessert.

7 Anna November 24, 2013 at 8:44 am

You rock!! This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so very much!

8 K. S. Brooks May 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Thank you for this! I will try it out tomorrow in a gluten-free mix. :)