Asian Lettuce Wraps -quick and easy

I am always happy to find a recipe that my family loves and that I can make in under 30 minutes.   With 5 boys at home, our evenings are chock full  and I don’t have time to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  We have homework to do and places to be (scouts, basketball, wrestling  etc:)  These lettuce wraps are so tasty–my family gobbles them up and I could not believe how easy and quick they are to make.  Winner!

My husband wanted a “sauce” to go on top, so I used some of this Thai Peanut Sauce recipe here that I keep in my freezer (frozen in ice cube tray size portions)  You could also serve it with a bottled plum sauce.  Yum!  I personally didn’t think it needed a sauce, but it was really good that way!

I have made some big changes over at my other blog Mel and Boys that I am very excited about.  Check it out and let me know what you think:)  I am kicking off the new year with a post on time management tools with links to my favorite planners and free printables to keep you organized.    What do you use to keep on top of things?

Asian Lettuce Wraps-quick and easy
submitted by Melanie~www.thesisterscafe.com

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Cup finely chopped onion
1 lb ground turkey breast
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt (I used Lawry’s)
1 12 oz bag of Broccoli slaw  (found in the produce section with bag salads)
1 small can drained water chestnuts
½ Cup  Teriyaki Sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Approximately 15 Ice berg or Butter Lettuce leaves

1. Place oil into a large 5 qt skillet or other large pan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add ground turkey, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Brown and crumble until cooked through.

2. When turkey is cooked, stir in broccoli slaw, water chestnuts, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Serve spoonfuls inside lettuce leaves. Enjoy!

Recipe Source: Picky Palate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Britta says

now this looks like an Asian lettuce wrap recipe I can handle! Usually they are sooooo time intensive with an enormously long list of ingredients that you need one teaspoon of each! ;) Can’t wait to try this, Mel. THanks!

2. liz says

Made this last night, it was delicious! I did serve it with the plum sauce (store bought) and the spicy chinese garlic sauce ( I love spice). We will be having it for leftovers tonight, which it tastes even better the day after.

Thank you!

3. Jennifer says

I made them with ground chicken and bag mix of finely chopped brussel sprouts, kale, cabbage, broccoli, and chicory from costco. Wow! The kids liked them and I didn’t tell them all what was inside. This is definitely a kid-friendly recipe into which you can sneak all kinds of good vegetables. Thanks for the great recipe!

This looks super good and easy, which is one of my favorite words associated with dinner (: I kind of want to try them with the mix Jennifer listed. Yum.

5. Julianne says

These were fabulous! I love how fast they were to make, and the broccoli slaw stayed crunchy the whole time, even though I had it on “warm” for at least 20 minutes after it finished cooking. I did add about 2 TBSP of hoisin sauce to the whole mixture because we like it, but it tasted just fine without it. I also made a little sauce of 2 TBSP soy sauce + 2 TBSP brown sugar + 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar, and we dipped the lettuce cups into the sauce.

Thank you!

6. Julie says

Already this recipe has entered into our regular rotation! We love it and it is so easy. And healthy! My husband can’t eat broccoli so I found a bag of Asian salad mix in the produce department…it’s got cabbage, carrots, cilantro and some other stuff in it, and that’s what I use. Works perfectly! My 20 month old even eats it. I just found a recipe online for a ginger dipping sauce to go along with it, and it’s a winner. Thanks for the great recipe!