Thai Coconut Lime Soup

Thai Coconut Lime Soup

This Thai Coconut Lime Soup is one of my new favorite soups.  It’s so good!  I would say it is in my top five favorite soups ever.  My cousin’s wife made it for a party several months ago, and it was love at first taste.  I can’t stop making it now (nor do I want to stop).  There is some chopping involved -which is the bane of soups, but after the chopping is over, the soup comes together incredibly quick.  Especially if you buy the rotisserie chicken, which I highly recommend.  I made it with shredded chicken breasts once, and it was still good… but much better with the rotisserie.  And just wait till you try the limey Thai coconut flavors accented with cilantro.  Your taste buds will love you.  It’s just amazing.  Do yourself a favor a try it!

Thai Coconut Lime Soup
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 can coconut milk
5 cans (~ 7 1/2 cups) chicken stock or broth (I’ve used bouillon with good results, too)
3 large carrots, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced into long strips
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into long strips
1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded
1/4-1/2 cup lime juice (2-3 medium limes juiced) – to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon thai green curry paste (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder (again more if you like Curry, but no more than 1 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1-6 ounce package chow mein noodles
Large bunch cilantro, chopped
4-5 green onions, chopped
*If you want it to be spicier, you could add some cayenne pepper to taste

In large pot, add chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring to light boil, then add carrots and bell peppers. Cook on light boil for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add shredded chicken, lime juice, soy sauce, green curry paste, curry, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Cook for 5 minutes. Carrots should not be too soft, they should have a little bit of crunch left.  Reduce heat to low and add noodles. Cover with lid and let the noodles absorb liquid. Once the noodles are al dente (about 5 minutes or so), the soup is done! Add your green onions and fresh cilantro 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Cole’s Cafe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

Oh my goodness that looks SO darn good!! I love Thai food and as much as I want it to be Spring–it is cold and definetely still soup weather:) Thanks Mindy!!

2. Jane says

The noodles look like spaghetti noodles…is there another name for what you use?
    Thanks so much, can’t wait to try it!

3. Rebecca says

I want to make this for dinner tonight and went to my local grocery store but all they had was the red curry paste. Is there a sub for the green curry paste? Could I just add more curry?? Thanks!

• Mindy says

Hi Rebecca,
      I know I emailed you back, but I thought this was a good question and wanted to answer it here, too for others. Although I have never done it, I think red curry paste is a fine substitute for the green curry paste. The only difference is that they use red chilies instead of green chilies. I’m sure the flavor will be a little different, but it should still be great! There are several more yummy ingredients in the curry pastes, so I wouldn’t substitute just plain curry.

4. Alana says

Hi – I’m making this right now, and my house smells SO good! Just wondering – when do you add the lime juice? I added it at the end (don’t think it’ll make much difference), but just wondering for the recipe. Thanks!

5. Amy says

Chow mein noodles are the crispy cracker type noodles and your picture looks more like a pasta type noodle. Won’t the chow mein noodles get soggy in the liquid?

• Mindy says

Hi Amy,
      The noodles really are chow mein noodles. They soak up the soup and do kind of taste more pasta-ish than they normally do. The Chow Mein noodles do not get soggy though – even a couple of days later. They are really good in the soup – go figure! The brand I have used is “Sun Luck” which is the only brand offered in my local grocery store. Hope that helped.