Fresh Watermelon Cake {Literally}

by Mindy on May 23, 2013

Watermelon Cake

Watermelon Cake 3

This cake is made out of watermelon… quite literally!  Topped with freshly whipped cream and garnished with colorful fruit, this cake is unique, beautiful, and delicious.  And I was surprised to find it pretty much satisfied my sweet tooth, too.  We celebrated my mom’s birthday a couple of weeks ago, and she requested no birthday cake.  No birthday dessert, not even a cookie.  Now that goes against the grain for me.  I mean, I am my mother’s daughter.  Although she apparently went on strike this year, I can’t remember a single birthday in our family up till this one that did not include cake, candles, and hearty birthday singing.  I couldn’t come to terms with no birthday cake… and that’s when it hit me.  I remembered seeing a watermelon shaped into a cake on pinterest months ago.  I didn’t even pin it, so I can’t tell you who’s idea it was.  But I made my own version of watermelon cake for my cherished mother’s birthday, and she loved it!  It was beautiful, yummy, and totally guilt free.  Not to mention the easiest birthday cake I have ever made. I’m thinking this is going to be a fun way to dress up barbecues this summer, girls’ brunches or luncheons, and definitely baby and bridal showers.

Fresh Watermelon Cake {Literally}
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 watermelon, rind removed and cut into the shape of a cake
1 cup whipping cream, whipped with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla (double if you want to “frost” the whole watermelon cake)
fresh fruit to garnish
sliced almonds also look pretty

1 Melanie May 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

that is genius!!! and so pretty!! I want some:)

2 Erin May 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

What a cute idea!

3 Jenny K May 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’ve seen that on Pinterest too. I’m wondering how the whip cream tastes on watermelon? I just can’t imagine!

4 Mindy May 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Jenny,

I wondered the same thing, but it was pretty good! Especially since the whipped cream bites usually had some other type of fruit with them. I got lucky and the watermelon I used was perfectly sweet and firm at the same time, so it really was amazing. I do not think it would be nearly as good with cool whip, though. If you try it, tell me what you think!

5 Kiersten May 24, 2013 at 10:22 am

I was just thinking of trying to find something like this to make for my daughter’s birthday, and here it is! I was wondering whether a thick greek yogurt would work for the frosting…??

6 Mindy May 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Kiersten,
I not only think greek yogurt would work, I think it would be fabulous! I am definitely going to try it. So yummy!

7 Shannon May 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm

What a great way to still give your mom a birthday cake without baking!

8 Kathy May 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

How awesome is that! What a great way to save on calories!

9 Jan May 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

The sweetened whipped cream tastes great with watermelon. This was VERY good! You are so clever!

10 Mary @ Fit and Fed July 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm

What a beautiful and simple idea!

11 Melinda July 6, 2013 at 6:02 am

I frosted mine with whipped coconut milk. I used two cans of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated for six hours. To help stabilize the “frosting” as it would be sitting out at a party, I added 4T of french vanilla powdered pudding mix as I was whipping the coconut milk. I decorated with roasted almonds all around the sides; on top sliced strawberries, blackberries, and kiwi fruit. I have no words for how good this was!

12 Mindy July 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Melinda,
That sounds divine. I definitely going to try the coconut milk and pudding mix. You are so creative!

13 Katie July 8, 2013 at 11:36 am

I made this last week for a family BBQ. It was very yummy! Since it was 4th of July time, I put strawberries and blueberries on top. It was so good. I was disappointed to find that I had not picked a very good watermelon, but the sweetness of the whipped cream and berries saved the day. Plus, everyone thought it was very cute :) Thanks for the fun idea!