A staple at our house has been the Quaker Chewy granola bars that you can buy in bulk at your local Costco. They are the perfect little treat/snack to grab on the go for the park or pool. With the recent Celiac diagnosis at our house, two of my boys can no longer eat them because unfortunately oats usually test positive for gluten. Such a tragedy in these two little boys opinion! With this in mind, I set out to make a gluten free version of their favorite Quaker granola bar flavor.. the peanut butter chocolate chip! I took this recipe and tweaked it just a bit and I actually like this version better! The addition of the peanut butter and a touch of corn syrup seems to hold them together better. I used gluten free oats and gluten free rice crispy cereal (found at my local grocery store), but of course you wouldn’t need to, regular oats and cereal are perfect. These turned out so yummy! We loved them and I think these will be a new staple at our house!
So are you out on summer break too? We are in full summer mode around here. I have come up with a few goals or priorities for my family this summer and one of them being… sticking to a meal plan! I just posted my latest 2 week meal plan here and if you want to plan your own…print a cute (FREE) planner page here. There are two you can choose from! Cute enough to hand on your fridge and keep you on track this summer:)
- 2½ cups oats (*can use gluten free oats)
- ½ cup rice krispy cereal (*can use gluten free rice krispy cereal)
- ¼ cup coconut
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ⅛ cup honey
- 2 TB corn syrup (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Put butter , peanut butter, honey and corn syrup (if using) in a small saucepan over low heat until liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients to a bowl.
- Pour liquid from saucepan over the dry stuff and mix together until combined.
- Press into a square 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes--I did almost 30 minutes but I did double the recipe.
- Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars.
- Let it set completely and then cut into bars. Enjoy!