I really love a good chicken salad, don’t you?! It is my favorite way to use some leftover rotisserie chicken. You can add whatever fruit or nuts you have on hand and viola you have a wonderful little meal in minutes! When I serve this for a luncheon or party I use croissants (YUM), but I don’t keep those on hand, so most of the time I enjoy this salad on a bed of greens. This really is the perfect classic chicken salad recipe–nothing fancy, just plain good! I will add this advice, get good quality mayo–it really does make a huge difference:)
Classic Chicken Salad
submitted by Melanie~www.thesisterscafe.com
I follow this recipe somewhat loosely–it serves as a guide:) You can double or triple it and …make adjustments according to your tastes and mood! I love to make this salad with my leftover rotisserie chicken–yum!
- 1 cup diced chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced celery
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I rarely add this–it is good though)
- 1 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise or more
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of hot sauce–optional
- Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
- OPTIONAL stir ins before serving: slivered almonds, sliced grapes, and/or chopped apples
Put all ingredients in a bowl and gently stir to combine. The nuts and fruit should be added right before serving. Enjoy on a bed of lettuce, croissant, in a wrap, pita pocket, or on your favorite sandwich bread. The possibilities are endless! The filling (without the nuts and fruit) is also wonderful as a chicken melt–just spread on a piece of bread , follow with a slice of cheese and put under the broiler for a quick toast. YUM! Hope you enjoy!
Recipe Source: adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe