I have been on the lookout for a homemade creamy nacho cheese sauce is smooth and creamy and does NOT use velvetta or other processed cheese. I have tried lots of recipes with little success, until I tried this one! This sauce is perfect! Rich, creamy and smooth. It is easy to make and gluten free which is what we need at my house! You can have fun with the flavor by stirring in different add ins according to your tastes…like jalepenos (I chopped up some bottled ones once), chilis, spices etc. I love this recipe! There is nothing here that you don’t have on hand or that you can’t pronouce–that is always nice! LOL You can feel a little less guilty about giving into that craving to dip your chips into some good ol’ nacho cheese sauce! Yum! With football season coming up this may come in handy for a quick game snack OR if you are like me it may be a fun after school snack! Yes my boys have already gone back to school! I am missing the fun days of summer, but the good news is, now I will have some time to get back to posting on a more regular basis again:)
- 8oz cheddar cheese (or a mix of half cheddar and half Pepper Jack), shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce ( I use Franks)
- pinch salt
- Toss together cheese and cornstarch, in a medium-sized saucepan, until evenly coated.
- Stir in 1 cup evaporated milk, the hot sauce and salt.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat until thickened, smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in additional evaporated milk, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
*for a milder sauce, you can use only cheddar. Which is what is pictured above:)
Recipe Source: Serious Eats