Happy St Patrick’s Day!
This is a favorite holiday in our family and I am looking forward to dinner tonight! This year I have on the menu Hot and Sweet Mustard Corned Beef, Colcannon, Roasted Cabbage Wedges or a Green Salad, Fresh Rolls, and this amazing Key Lime Pie for dessert! After dinner we will share the story of our Irish great great Grandma Mary Jane Parks McConnel who sacrificed greatly to come to America. She had a lot of faith and her story is very inspiring!
Now this pie is great for St Patricks Day being green, BUT it is also an excellent dessert for your Easter dinner. Key Lime pie is tangy, sweet, light and refreshing. I think you will find lots of occasions that will call for this pie! I love how easy it is to make. I prefer a homemade graham cracker crust, but if you are in a hurry, remade crust works great and cuts out a step. I also love how this pie can be made a day or two ahead of time. It will keep in the fridge for a week, although it never lasts that long at my house!
Recipe Notes: I must add that I often can not buy Key Limes at my local grocery store, which are smaller and are more tart or sour than the more common and larger Persian limes. I have found that I can use half regular limes juice and half lemon with great results! Also—don’t use the bottled lime juice! Fresh is better for this recipe!
If you want the pie to be green, add a couple of drops of green food coloring–if not it will be pale yellow color. I went green fro today but I usually leave the food coloring out.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup key lime juice ( can sub equal parts lemon and the more common persian lime juice)
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest (or 1-2 limes, depending on your tastes)
- 1-2 drops of green food coloring (optional)
- 1 Graham Cracker Crust
- Whipped Cream--sweetened of course
- Preheat oven to 375 degreed F
- Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice.
- Mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepared graham cracker crust
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream and lime zest for garnish.