It is finally starting to get a little chilly here in the South and I couldn’t be happier about it! The second it begins to cool off, I start craving soup! I guess I am not the only one, because I was invited to a little ‘Recipe Night’ gathering last week where the theme was soups! All of the soups were wonderful, but I think my favorite was a creamy cauliflower soup. I couldn’t wait to make it when I got home and found the perfect opportunity since my sister Brittany is here. We made it for lunch one day and it really hit the spot! We both agreed over our second bowls that this soup was divine! I think you will love it too. It is easy, fast, oh so tasty and just perfect this time of year. As they say in South, Happy Fall Y’all!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk (or use part half and half for a creamier soup)
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onions are tender. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps up.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Add broth, salt, and cauliflower. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Use a hand held immersion blender or you can transfer soup to a blender and pulse until smooth. If you use the blender then return soup to pot. Add cheeses and stir until melted and combined with soup. Serve with extra cheese if desired. My boys like crumbled bacon on top.
Recipe Source: inspired by my friend Danielle