Oh let me tell you about this oh-so-yummy, even healthy, and pretty quick weeknight meal! First of all, it has meatballs, so that means the men in your life will run to the table, right? If they are like mine, they will! There is something about meatballs that my boys LOVE. We usually have them with Italian themed dinners, but this spin on a classic was something new and quite intriguing at our house. Meatballs with a curry sauce and rice–what?!! We all know how much I enjoy Thai Food—pretty much anything with coconut milk and curry in it has my heart! So it was a fun fusion of my love for Thai food and my boys love for meatballs and it was a big SUCCESS! And shhh don’t tell but there is zucchini hidden in the meatballs and no one noticed. Ha!! I love it when I can sneak in extra veggies like that!
A couple of little tips for this dish: I keep the bottled fresh ginger in my fridge and find it so quick and easy when I need a little ginger for a recipe. Also, don’t be scared of the fish sauce. My husband hates fish and he doesn’t complain about this ingredient at all. It adds a great flavor without tasting “fishy”. Also, I am sure you could use beef or pork for the meatballs if you would rather. And last, I like to freeze tomato paste in little one Tablespoon amounts. That way I have it on hand for all those recipes that call for just a couple of tablespoons and I don’t waste the leftover portion.
I hope you enjoyed your Valentines Day yesterday! We had a special candle lit dinner with our boys on Monday night with their favorite Chicken Alfredo (I will post our favorite recipe soon) and tonight my husband has a special date planned during our boys church night. How did you celebrate?
Have a great week friends!
- 2 lbs ground turkey, extra lean
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded & liquid squeezed out
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, finely chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tsp ginger, grated (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp coconut milk, light (canned)
- ⅛ tsp hot pepper chili flakes
- Cooking spray
- 1 + ½ cup coconut milk (canned)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ⅛ tsp hot pepper chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- In a medium bowl, combine Meatball ingredients and mix with your hands thoroughly. Make 28 meatballs by spooning heaping 1 tbsp of mixture and rolling between your hands. Lay on a cutting board or plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add meatballs and cook until brown or for 2-3 minutes, turning a few times. No need to cook the meatballs through.
- Add the sauce, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Serve warm with rice or rice noodles. Add garnish like fresh cilantro and green onions.
Recipe Source: ifoodreal.com