Well, school is officially out for us here in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I had 3 graduations this year–one from High School, one from Middle School and one from Elementary School! Phew, it was a busy month for us, which means less time for this sweet little blog! BUT, I am back with an incredible treat to kick off summer break….FRUIT PIZZA! This is one of my favorite treats–the vibrant, beautiful fruit is the star, but the fluffy cream cheese icing and the buttery, chewy sugar cookie base are incredible too! Whenever I serve this at a gathering there is never any leftovers. People are drawn to it, because it is such a pretty dessert, and then they come back for more because it is so delicious! I like to undercook the cookie base, just a little so it is chewy and not crunchy. The fruit design is so fun to create. Make sure to start with all your fruit washed, cut and dry before you start. Also, I find it easier to start from the outside and work my way in. If the fruit is dry, you can make it hours ahead of time and store it in your fridge until you are ready to serve it.
This really is the PERFECT treat for summer!
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1¾ sticks) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 8 ounces package of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 cube) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- assorted fresh fruit cut into slices
- Beat the butter and 1½ cups sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. Spoon dough onto and piece of plastic wrap and create a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll chilled dough into one big cookie and place on a round baking stone. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool; chill in fridge.
- Mix frosting ingredients together and spread on chilled cookie.
- Top with fresh fruit. Chill until ready to serve. Cut into slices and enjoy!