Hello friends! Well, my son is off on his mission! He is currrently in the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah. It is very strange to only have 3 of my 5 sons living at home now! I keep making too much food at meal times, since I was used to feeding an army of boys the last few months with everyone home (and friends over all the time too). While I am really missing my two oldest boys being around, I am not missing the extra laundry:) This summer was so fun and full with my whole family home but it is nice to be settling back into normal life again and to have some time to blog:)
I am excited to share this fanstatic, quick and easy dinner idea. I honestly do think it is better than take out!! I don’t know about you but I always make too much rice (especially recently with my shrinking family). I used to feel bad when I had so much rice left over at the end of family dinner, but not anymore. Now I simply use it in this awesome Fried Rice recipe and I have a delicious and fast dinner or lunch idea for later in the week! My family LOVES this recipe and it really is so versatile! You could easily sub the chicken for ham, steak or even shrimp! Not only is it a great way to use up leftover rice but also get some veggies into your kids:) The ingredients are ones that you always have on had too. I think this will become a favorite recipe to turn to for dinner! YUM!
A couple of tips for perfect Fried Rice:
*Use cold rice–that is why leftover rice is perfect. Warm freshly cooked rice will result in soggy fried rice.
*Use lots of veggies-this makes it good!
*Use real butter–you can use oil instead but seriously butter is better (so much more flavorful)
*Use high heat–help fry the veggies and keep them crunchy
*Use extra soy sauce if needed before serving–and don’t forget the sesame oil–yum!
**To make this gluten free, be sure to use gluten free soy sauce!!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste *use gluten free if needed
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Optional: 1 pound of cooked chicken, ham, shrimp or meat of your choice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet.
- Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the pan.
- Add carrots and onion and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked meat if using. (leftovers are perfect)
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the cold rice and peas and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes to heat everything together.
- Serve immediately with the sliced green onions for garnish and more soy sauce, if desired.