Here in the South we are going on our 3rd day of no school due to “inclement weather”. My boys are loving it, but I cannot help but chuckle! Here in my area, we literally only got a dusting of snow (much to our disappointment) and the roads are not icy at all. Cancelling school seems ridiculous, but I guess there are some out lying areas of our district that are still iced over. It has been a fun little break, but hopefully they will go back to school tomorrow … a one day week! Hilarious! Only in the South!!
In other news, yesterday I made this delicious and easy One Pan Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables for dinner and my family loved it. I served it with some fresh pesto and it really hit the spot on a cold winter night! It took about 10 minutes to prep ( I did it right after lunch). Then I drizzled it with some olive oil and sprinkled salt, pepper and some seasonings, popped it into the oven to roast….and viola, dinner was done! I love one pan dinners! Easy Peasy! You could put tinfoil down and even save yourself scrubbing the pan, if you want. I didn’t think of that!
A few tips:
- Cut your veggies about the same size for even baking
- ‘Hard’ vegetables like potatoes, broccoli, butternut squash, Brussel sprouts, carrots need about a half hour.
- ‘Softer’ vegetables like zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, need less time-maybe add them the last 15 minutes of roasting.
- Roasting time is flexible according to your preference. I would say 20-40 minutes. I like to go about 35-40 minutes for carmelized veggies, but watch it the first time to see what is best for you!
- Don’t forget to pierce your Italian Sausage so they don’t burst and so the juices can seep out and ‘baste’ the meat while cooking.
Ready for the oven:
Roasted and ready to eat with a drizzle of Pesto–yum! Easy, healthy and fast…One Pan Roasted Italian Sausage and Vegetables the perfect dinner on a cold winter night! Serve as is, or over fresh pasta or rice, if desired. Delish!
Follow me on Instagram (thesisterscafe-click here) for some demo videos and tips in my stories! xo
And just for fun:
One year ago: The BEST Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Three years ago: Garlic Parmesan Butter (and it’s many uses!)
Four years ago: Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Five years ago: Strawberry Jam Vinaigrette
- 1 pound Sweet Potato (Or Yukon Potatoes, or Butternut Squash) cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 pound Broccoli (or Brussel Sprouts, halved)
- 1 Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 Onion, cut into chunks (leave pretty big)
- 1 pound Italain Sausage Links (pierced)
- 1-2 TB Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Season of choice (Italian seasoning, garlic salt, crushed red pepper flakes, Montreal Seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Evenly distribute chopped vegetables on a half sheet pan (a cookie sheet)
- Drizzle with olive oil and the spices of choice (I like Montreal Seasoning or Trader Joes 21 Seasoning Salute--but any of your favorite seasonings will work--rosemary, Italian seasoning etc)
- Salt and pepper (but be careful if your chosen seasoning blend already has salt in it!)
- Pierce each sausage several times with the end of a share knife and nestle in the vegetables
- Roast for 25-40 minutes, depending on how brown you like your sausage and vegetables (start checking at 25 minutes)
- Serve with a drizzle of pesto, if desired