*First of all, sorry for the confusion with this post! I was working on it right before bed a couple of nights ago and accidentally hit ‘publish’ instead of ‘save draft’! I quickly changed it back to a draft, not realizing that an email was sent to all my subscribers announcing this new recipe! I had several sweet messages letting me know the recipe was “missing” from the site (thank you!!). Oops! I guess that late night blogging is not a good idea for me! Anyway –here is the post finished and ready to go ‘for reals’ this time:) I wanted to get this post finished yesterday, but I never got to it. I have two sick little boys that had to go to the Dr. They tested negative for the flu, but they sure are miserably sick with some type of virus…poor guys!
But this soup really is so good!! I have made it several times since I first came across the recipe in September and my family LOVES it! This soup has great flavor and lucky for me it is easily made gluten free! Win win! This recipe is GREAT as a freezer meal too. You simply chop all the veggies and ham and add to a freezer bag along with the broth (I use a permanent marker to write directions and what ingredients I need to add on the front). Then cook in your slow cooker for 4 hours before adding the flour, cream and sour cream. I like to keep a bag in my freezer for an easy dinner for my family or when I want to bring a meal to a sick friend. This is the perfect comfort meal on a cold night or to bring to a friend in need.
One Years Ago: Grandma’s Famous Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Four Years Ago: Savory Cream Cheese Spread or Dip
Six Years Ago: Apple Puffed Pancake
Eight Years Ago: Fiesta Ravioli
Ten Years Ago: Sugar Gems Cookies
*In this dinner pictured, I served the soup with salad and our favorite Pumpkin (or sweet potato) Oat Streusal Muffins (have your tried them? They are soo good!!)
- 8 cups russet potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 16 ounces Ham, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup flour (substitute gluten free flour if needed)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups heavy cream (you can use half and half or milk)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place everything, except flour, cream, and sour cream into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Using a potato masher, mash about ⅓ of the potatoes (you don't need to worry about the ham---it won't really mash that much)
- Add the flour, cream (or milk) and sour cream and stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chives or grated cheese if desired.