Happy Friday Everybody!
I hope you all had a great week. My boys made a full recovery this week (hooray) from the dreaded flu. Did I tell you that we had a false negative on the flu test? The PA did the test wrong the first time. We went back a few days later when my youngest was still so sick and sure enough he was positive for the flu! Ugh–poor guy! Luckily only my youngest two got it and no one else–phew! Have you had the flu? It is awful. This is the first time we have every had it, I think. I have not been super diligent about getting the flu shot in the past, but let me tell you, I will now!
Anyway, it gave us extra time at home to watch the olympics (so fun) and try some new recipes out like this one. I have some boys that are HUGE hot wing fans at my house, so when I heard about cauliflower wings, I couldn’t wait to try it out on them. They were very skeptical, but I convinced them to try them and they were pleasantly surprised…and ended up giving me a thumbs up! They liked them, but did say that they still prefer real chicken wings but this was the BEST way to eat cauliflower in the their humble opinion! Ha! I actually thought these were So tasty and fun! A healthy guilt free way to enjoy wings!! Pair these with your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing–yum!
We love this easy homemade ranch (it is the best) and I always have a jar in the fridge. I simply pored some in a bowl and then added some blue cheese crumble to it and a little sour cream–and we had the perfect sauce to dip our ‘wings’ in!!
I made a batch with flour and a batch with almond flour (for my Gluten Free boys). They were both excellent. I will include both recipes. I actually liked these ‘wings’ better than the real thing (call me crazy–but they were so tasty and I love that they are actually good for you!!)! I love cauliflower though.
Have you tried Cauliflower Hot Wings ?
What do you think?
By the way for some reason all our old recipes had the comments turned off–but I fixed that and they are back on again. I LOVE to hear from you! Also, you can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow along on Instagram here: @thesisterscafe
Hope y’all have a great weekend!
Other favorite Cauliflower recipes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 14 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup buttermilk (can sub milk or just all water )
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into 1½-inch florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
- *Optional: add 1 TB honey or maple syrup to cut heat, heat if desired
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (~1 medium head)
- 1 cup superfine almond meal
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- *Optional: 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Whisk the flour, garlic powder, paprika and salt in a large bowl. Stir together the buttermilk and water (or all water if you don't have buttermilk). Whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Add the cauliflower to the batter and toss well to coat. Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking sheets, shaking excess batter back into the bowl. Arrange the florets on the baking sheets so they don't touch. Bake until the batter is set, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with the hot sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. When the cauliflower has baked for 15 minutes and the batter is set, drizzle with half of the hot sauce mixture, then turn over the florets and drizzle with the rest of the hot sauce mixture.
- Set the oven to broil. Broil the cauliflower until tender and the coating is crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.**Be careful to not let them burn--I keep the oven door cracked and my eye on them. Let cool briefly before serving with the dipping sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Prep cauliflower, but cutting into “wing-sized” pieces. Set aside.
- Make rub my mixing together almond flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Transfer into a gallon-sized bag.
- Then, crack 2 eggs in a bowl and whisk.
- Dip cauliflower into the egg mixture and thoroughly coat. Then transfer into gallon-sized bag. Repeat with all pieces of cauliflower.
- Shake bag so that the cauliflower gets coated with rub.
- Transfer cauliflower onto baking sheet and spread out evenly. Spray cauliflower with olive oil cooking spray or alternatively drizzle on some olive oil.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20 minutes. Remove and flip cauliflower. Bake for 10 more minutes.
- While cauliflower is baking, prepare buffalo sauce. Mix together Franks and maple syrup.
- When cauliflower is done baking, toss in buffalo sauce, making sure all pieces are coated.
- Place cauliflower back on baking sheet and then bake at 400ºF for 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare blue cheese sauce, by mixing together all ingredients.
Gluten Free Method:slightly adapted from Fit Foodie Finds
Happy Friday Everybody! I hope you all had a great week. My boys made a full recovery this week (hooray) from the dreaded flu. Did I tell you that we had a false … [Read More...]
I don't know about you but after the Holidays, I am always in the mood to cut down on sugar and try to eat "clean" and healthy! This has been my goal for 2018 and it … [Read More...]
(Favorite Frosted Sugar Cookie Recipe here) I LOVE Valentines Day and get very excited about celebrating with my family! This holiday has always been one of my … [Read More...]
*First of all, sorry for the confusion with this post! I was working on it right before bed a couple of nights ago and accidentally hit 'publish' instead of 'save … [Read More...]
When my sweet parents returned home from serving an LDS mission in New Zealand, they had a big party with gifts for everyone in the family. For me and my sisters my cute … [Read More...]
I came across this New York Times article claiming a salad dressing to rule them all and I was intrigued (read it here if you want). So I read that this basic … [Read More...]
I know that the Instant Pot is all the rage right now, and I do love mine, but lets not forget about our good old slow cooker! I really love to throw a few things into … [Read More...]
Yesterday I shared lots of fun savory ideas--so you are covered in the appetizer, crunchy, salty department but you still need some fun sweet treats to round out your … [Read More...]
Are you ready for the Super Bowl this weekend?! I have to admit that I am not really into the game...I am there to hang out with my cute football lovin' boys and lets be … [Read More...]
Have you ever eaten at the Atlanta Bread Company? They have an incredible turkey sandwich on their menu that is served on Cranberry Walnut bread and it is AMAZING! I … [Read More...]
The boys are back in school this week--phew! I am ready to be back on a regular schedule again! Did I mention that we had only one day of school last week--hah?! No … [Read More...]
Happy Friday sweet friends! I hope you have had a good week. Mine was a bit crazy! My husband was in California all week on a business trip and here in the South we … [Read More...]
Here in the South we are going on our 3rd day of no school due to "inclement weather". My boys are loving it, but I cannot help but chuckle! Here in my area, we … [Read More...]
A couple of months ago, I was sick with an awful head cold and my sweet friend Jessica dropped off a mason jar full of this incredible soup along with some … [Read More...]